Okay, virus question....

Just Jack

Ever since I looked at those links in the Dallas Cowboys New Stadium thread, I've been getting this warning from my Norton AV...

Scan type: Realtime Protection Scan

Event: Virus Found!

Virus name: Downloader

File: C:\Documents and Settings\JWheeler\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\WD4M15C4\xpladv596[1].wmf

Location: C:\Documents and Settings\JWheeler\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\WD4M15C4

Action taken: Clean failed : Quarantine failed : Access denied

Date found: Tue Dec 12 20:46:29 2006

It's only with TBD, all other webpages seem to be fine. What's my solution?

Ever since I looked at those links in the Dallas Cowboys New Stadium thread, I've been getting this warning from my Norton AV...

Scan type:  Realtime Protection Scan

Event:  Virus Found!

Virus name: Downloader

File:  C:\Documents and Settings\JWheeler\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\WD4M15C4\xpladv596[1].wmf

Location:  C:\Documents and Settings\JWheeler\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\WD4M15C4

Action taken:  Clean failed : Quarantine failed : Access denied

Date found: Tue Dec 12 20:46:29 2006

It's only with TBD, all other webpages seem to be fine. What's my solution?

864913[/snapback]

I was just about to post about this.

Your solution is: Norton's catching it, no problem. It's a stupid little file that can download other viruses to your machine. It seems to me as though someone hacked the board code and stuck it in (it happens, I've seen a few boards running this code that have had this issue. Probably some !@#$ing Fin fan...).

The solution to dealing with this, for those who haven't or don't know, is:

- Get anti-virus software if you don't have it. I recommend Panda Antivirus (google it)

- Set "Automatic Prompting for File Downloads" in IE to "Enable" (Go to Tools, Internet Options. Under the Security tab, hit the "Custom Level" button, scroll down to "Downloads", and make sure "Automatic Prompting for File Downloads" is set to "Enable"). This will tell you a file's being downloaded BEFORE it downloads, so you can cancel the download.

- Get Firefox. This only affects IE.

- Get a Mac.

I was just about to post about this.

Your solution is: Norton's catching it, no problem.  It's a stupid little file that can download other viruses to your machine.  It seems to me as though someone hacked the board code and stuck it in (it happens, I've seen a few boards running this code that have had this issue.  Probably some !@#$ing Fin fan...).

The solution to dealing with this, for those who haven't or don't know, is:

- Get anti-virus software if you don't have it.  I recommend Panda Antivirus (google it)

- Set "Automatic Prompting for File Downloads" in IE to "Enable" (Go to Tools, Internet Options.  Under the Security tab, hit the "Custom Level" button, scroll down to "Downloads", and make sure "Automatic Prompting for File Downloads" is set to "Enable").  This will tell you a file's being downloaded BEFORE it downloads, so you can cancel the download.

- Get Firefox.  This only affects IE.

- Get a Mac.

864919[/snapback]

And I already sent a PM to SDS. If anyone wants to contact him more directly...

Having the same problem, Norton is picking it up though, for some reason a download box keeps coming up and I have to keep cancelling it. Since the Anti-Virus is picking it up and deleting it anyways I won't worry about it and here's hoping that the problem gets fixed soon.

Alright - it's gone.

I know we are overdue for an upgrade. I bought a new license a couple of months ago, but I have been waiting for 2.2 to come out. It is out, but the skin needs to be redone. I guess that needs to be done sooner than later...

Best antivirus program is AVAST @ Avast.com

Download free Home Edition.

Remove other antivirus programs before installing.

Voted best in world for 2005.

As a computer company we have been using it for three years. Far better than anything else out there.

Best antivirus program is AVAST @ Avast.com

Download free Home Edition.

Remove other antivirus programs before installing.

Voted best in world for 2005.

As a computer company we have been using it for three years. Far better than anything else out there.

865038[/snapback]

Nah, Avast is very good, but it doesn't beat nod32.

Nod32 has the least overhead of any antivirus program I've found, and it has better scanning and heuristics than Avast.

It isn't free, but it is $39.

I'll second that.  I'm running Firefox and haven't gotten any virus warnings

864925[/snapback]

I have been using FF only to browse this site and I'm even seeing that. I thought it was the Real Player that was doing that when I used it like 2 weeks back for the first time in ages.

I'll get that notice also when I use WMP as well.

That warning didn't start today for me but Norton's has been stopping it.

Well, I don't kow the nature of the hole that got through. I thought all patches were applied for this series. The fuggers were from Russia. Fuggin' commie bastards.

I renamed the original script they came in on and changed the database password. Hopefully this will deter them until I patch the hole. I apologize for this, I'll try and lock the server down better.

Well, I don't kow the nature of the hole that got through.  I thought all patches were applied for this series.  The fuggers were from Russia.  Fuggin' commie bastards.

I renamed the original script they came in on and changed the database password. Hopefully this will deter them until I patch the hole.  I apologize for this, I'll try and lock the server down better.

865125[/snapback]

Apologizing for an awesome free service. Sup modesty? :w00t: