The "P" word

jdubs

Not that I really think we'll make it, but I hear all this talk about how we're not mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, but what would we actually need in order to make it to the playoffs, who needs to lose? I know we have to win the rest of our games.

Also, I would like to add that I think this team has shown the coaches alot of progress this season and I think it's going to make off season acquisitions and drafting alot easier. I think we have a solid foundation to make a run at the playoffs next year.

I assume that NE holds the tiebreaker if we go 3-0 and they go 0-3 and we both tie for the Division lead...correct?

Not that I really think we'll make it, but I hear all this talk about how we're not mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, but what would we actually need in order to make it to the playoffs, who needs to lose?  I know we have to win the rest of our games.

Also, I would like to add that I think this team has shown the coaches alot of progress this season and I think it's going to make off season acquisitions and drafting alot easier.  I think we have a solid foundation to make a run at the playoffs next year.

864455[/snapback]

I assume that NE holds the tiebreaker if we go 3-0 and they go 0-3 and we both tie for the Division lead...correct?

864468[/snapback]

Correct...They are 2-0 in head-to-head meetings. However, if the Jets also tie in at 9-7 will common opponents be the 1st criteria ?

864468[/snapback]

Correct, we are 0-2 head to head vs them, so there is no way that we will beat them for a playoff spot at this point in time.

so tie breakers are head to head first then division record? I do not know either of the division records so I am speaking blindly

Correct, we are 0-2 head to head vs them, so there is no way that we will beat them for a playoff spot at this point in time.

864471[/snapback]

Here ya go, simple as can be for the playoffs.

This week, we need the Jags to lose at Vince Young, Jay Cutler (losers of four straight) to lose to Matt Leinert (winners of 3/4), and KC to lose at SD.

The following week, we need the Jets to lose in Miami, the Broncos to lose to the Bengals, and - a little stretch - Tom Brady to beat the Jags in Florida.*

Then we'll control our own destiny heading into Baltimore.

*Failing that, the Jags would need to lose in KC, where most teams do lose.

I'll try to make it as simple as possible, I've been reading every post made on the topic and have done some of my own research over the last couple of days. At this point I'm certain this is the criteria we need.

-The Bills must win the rest of their games

-The Jaguars (8-5) must lose at least 2 games, OR the Bengals (8-5) must lose all 3 of their games (we hold the tiebreaker on the Jags but not on Cincy)

-The Chiefs (7-6) must lose at least 1 game (we've got the tiebreaker)

-The Broncos (7-6) must lose at least 2 games, OR they can lose 1 game in which case the Chiefs must also lose exactly 1 game (if both teams tie with us at 9-7, the Chiefs eliminate Denver b/c they're in the same division, and we have the tiebreaker on KC; if its just Denver, they have the tiebreaker on us)

-The Jets (7-6) must lose to the Miami Dolphins on Christmas Eve (Monday night week 16), OR the Jets must lose to BOTH Minnesota and Oakland (if Miami beats them, we'll have the same divisional record, pushing it to the next tiebreaker which is conference record where we will hold the tiebreaker)

Looking back it looks complicated and unlikely, but it really isn't that hard to fathom. The Jags are inconsistent and have @TEN, NE and @KC on their schedule. They can lose 2 of those games. Denver needing to lose 2 with their schedule (@ARI, CIN, SF) worries me, but they're 0 of their last 4 and Cutler is 0-2 as a starter. Unfortunately we pretty much need the Phins to step up and beat the Jets (in Miami) next Monday Night on Christmas, cause I don't see the Jets losing to both Minnesota and Oakland.

If we win out and the Phins defeat the Jets for us, there's a solid chance the peaces fall into place for us. It really isn't as much of a longshot as it seems. You gotta Billieve!

Go Bills! :w00t:

Not that I really think we'll make it, but I hear all this talk about how we're not mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, but what would we actually need in order to make it to the playoffs, who needs to lose?  I know we have to win the rest of our games.

Also, I would like to add that I think this team has shown the coaches alot of progress this season and I think it's going to make off season acquisitions and drafting alot easier.  I think we have a solid foundation to make a run at the playoffs next year.

864455[/snapback]

Simply put, A CHRISTMAS MIRACLE!!!

Simply put... this week is huge.

Every team is that is ahead of us by either one or two games can and should be (I think) in a tough game. Only one that on paper seems to have an easy game is Denver.

All in all in means nothing without a Bills win.

Simply put... this week is huge.

Every team is that is ahead of us by either one or two games can and should be (I think) in a tough game.  Only one that on paper seems to have an easy game is Denver.

All in all in means nothing without a Bills win.

864959[/snapback]

Yup, losses to Denver and Jacksonville would be huge. Go Cardinals, and go Titans.