Bills in the Playoffs?!?

ezbills

I'm just glad these threads are still alive. I think it is a tough road, but it was a tough road with four weeks of stuff to happen, and now it is a tough road with just three weeks of stuff to happen. My goal right now is to have these hopes last another week, and then we can take it from there. I big win against the Fish, and a couple of these things going our way and we can talk more about this next week!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is worth noting that the scenario has us winning on the road against Baltimore in a game that could be worth a bye to them. They also could have the #3 seed locked up and not have a bye and rest people, but otherwise that might be the toughest part of the roadmap.

It's also interesting that this scenario would have us beating the Ravens the final week only to head back there the following week as our most likely playoff matchup.

BUT, all we have to do is keep hope alive a week at a time, so other than stomping the Fish, we are hoping for:

SD over KC

Indy over Cin

Minn over the Jets

Tenn over Jax

Ari over Denver

We don't need every single one of those to happen to keep hope alive, so here's hoping we can continue talking about this stuff next week!

Lets just face it folks:

It is beautiful just to SEE a thread like this after the way this year was going when the Bills were 2-5.

Enjoy the dreaming this week.  It is free to dream.

862406[/snapback]

Hear, Hear!! :thumbsup:

That's partly why I started this thread. This Bills team is better than the 2004 team that ripped off 6 wins against weak opponents before Bledsoe (and Clements) coughed up a playoff spot against Pittsburgh. The Bills have played quality football against tough teams since the bye week going 4-2 with losses to two great teams.

My point is that the 12th Man should be in full force next week against Miami more than ever with playoff possibilities on the line. I really want the Christmas Eve Titans game to mean something because I'll be there!!!

862435[/snapback]

I know that the Pitts game in 04 was bledsoes fault but why Clements? All I remember from that game from nate is him picking off Maddux for a score. I'm just wondering, did he fumble or something on another play? That's all I vaguely remeber.

It is worth noting that the scenario has us winning on the road against Baltimore in a game that could be worth a bye to them.  They also could have the #3 seed locked up and not have a bye and rest people, but otherwise that might be the toughest part of the roadmap.

It's also interesting that this scenario would have us beating the Ravens the final week only to head back there the following week as our most likely playoff matchup.

BUT, all we have to do is keep hope alive a week at a time, so other than stomping the Fish, we are hoping for:

SD over KC

Indy over Cin

Minn over the Jets

Tenn over Jax

Ari over Denver

We don't need every single one of those to happen to keep hope alive, so here's hoping we can continue talking about this stuff next week!

863488[/snapback]

It would just be so unbelievably awesome to see the Bills in the playoffs again. I can't describe how happy and excited I would be. I know the likelyhood of them advancing out of the first round if they somehow pull a miracle to get in is not very high, but it would just be something for the stars to align for once for the Bills and their fans.

I know that the Pitts game in 04 was bledsoes fault but why Clements?  All I remember from that game from nate is him picking off Maddux for a score.  I'm just wondering, did he fumble or something on another play?  That's all I vaguely remeber.

863522[/snapback]

And everyone's still ignoring the boneheaded penalty by Reed to negate the go-ahead score (forcing the missed kick and the behind-and-have-to-throw fumble for a TD)? Weird... I guess Josh Reed is officially no longer a whipping boy in Buffalo :thumbsup:

Me too!  They were talking at halftime during tonight's game about dark horses for the playoffs in each conference, and Sharpe made himself look foolish again by picking the Titans.  Bills are getting no pub, but they are obviously the best "dark horse" choice since we'll be whupping up on the Titans at home!

862504[/snapback]

Sterling said that just because it was the sexy pick...with Vince Young and all the hype around him. Sad...Sterling seems to be the only guy there that gives a crap about his own opinion.

Either way...let the "experts" give pub to whoever they want. If the Bills somehow sneak in, they all be eating their own piece of crow pie.

I'm just glad these threads are still alive.  I think it is a tough road, but it was a tough road with four weeks of stuff to happen, and now it is a tough road with just three weeks of stuff to happen.  My goal right now is to have these hopes last another week, and then we can take it from there.  I big win against the Fish, and a couple of these things going our way and we can talk more about this next week!

862620[/snapback]

My thoughts exactly.

A Bills win this week gets them to 7-7 and people will finally begin to realize that this team has a real shot at the playoffs. The Jags and Bengals have tough road games this week, so there's a good chance that the Bills will be sitting 1 game out of a wildcard spot with 2 games to play. There is also a very good chance that the Bills would beat the Bengals in a tiebreaker if the Colts beat the Bengals this Monday night.

If the Bills win out, they have a solid shot at a wildcard spot. Most of the other teams they are competing with have tough schedules and the Bills will hold most or all of the tiebreakers.

If Buffalo goes 3-0 (finishing at 9-7, 7-5), they would need the following to get a wildcard berth:

- KC one loss AND

- NYJ loss to MIA (OR NYJ losses to both MIN and OAK) AND

2 of the following 3 things:

- 2 JAX losses

- 2 DEN losses (OR 1 DEN loss and 1 KC loss so KC wins tiebraker over DEN)

- 2 CIN losses plus strength of victory tiebreaker

Well, we got the Bills win and the Jax loss. So if the Chargers can beat KC tonight we will need:

NYJ loss to MIA AND

2 of the following 3 things:

-1 JAX loss (NE and @KC, so seems pretty likely)

-2 DEN losses (or the KC tiebreaker thing?)

-2 CIN losses plus strength of victory tiebreaker

Every week that passes makes it more possible, it is still a dream more than a likely scenario, but we are going into the second to last week with our playoff hopes still alive, and have a pretty good shot of going into the last week of the season with something to play for. Whether we make it or not, making these last two weeks count is fun, and I think very good for the development of this young team.

If anybody has anything to add to the logic, please go ahead, but it will probably be enough to root for Arizona and San Diego today, Indy tomorrow, and then do all the math on Tuesday.

Yes, that Titans win over the Jaguars was huge. I'm confident that New England will beat the Jags next week and knock them out of the picture.

The biggest game left this week for the Bills playoff chances is, by far, the Monday night game. A Bengals win vs the Colts would ensure that Cincy has the tiebreaker over the Bills based on common opponents, but a Colts win would ensure that the tiebreaker is strength of victory which the Bills have a slight advantage in. That tiebreaker will not be decided until after all games are played, but it looks like the Bills have a good shot at beating the Bengals in that tiebreaker.

A Chargers win tonight vs the Chiefs is also big because it would ensure that the Chiefs cannot harm the Bills playoff chances. Of course, a Cards win vs Denver would help, but the Broncos are far more likely to lose next week vs the Bengals and/or their final game against the 49ers.

As I said last week, the biggest game determining the Bills playoff fate (other than the Bills' own games) will be the Christmas game between the Jets and Dolphins. A Jets win would give the Jets the tiebreaker over Buffalo and probably a wildcard spot for NY since they finish against Oakland. However, a Miami win would drop the Jets into a tie with Buffalo and also ensure that the Bills would have the tiebreaker.

The bottom line is that, if Miami wins next week, the Bills will be competing with whoever loses the Denver-Cincy game for the final wildcard spot. If the Jets win, however, the Bills will have to beat both Denver and Cincy for one spot which will be very tough to do.

So, we want this week is:

Denver loss to Arizona

Cincy loss to Indy

KC loss to SD

Next week:

Jets loss to Miami

Jax loss to NE

Denver loss to Cincy

Tenn loss to Bills

869726[/snapback]

Exactly.

Here's how big the Monday night game is:

If the Bengals beat the Colts on Monday, and then the Jets beat Miami, the Bills CANNOT make the playoffs. :doh:

If the Bengals beat the Colts, and then the Dolphins beat the Jets, the Bills would have a decent shot at getting in. :nana:

If the Colts beat the Bengals, and then the Jets beat Miami, the Bills would have a slim chance of getting in. :ph34r:

If the Colts beat the Bengals, and then the Dolphins beat the Jets, the Bills have a pretty good chance of getting in. :lol::bag:

Every week that passes makes it more possible, it is still a dream more than a likely scenario, but we are going into the second to last week with our playoff hopes still alive, and have a pretty good shot of going into the last week of the season with something to play for.  Whether we make it or not, making these last two weeks count is fun, and I think very good for the development of this young team.

869646[/snapback]

And imagine how many of us - myself included - felt after the drubbing by the Pats in Week 7. I had written the season off and called for Craig Nall.

I still think there's a slim chance of the playoffs (PLAYOFFS?!!?!?!?), but 'tis the season for miracles, right? :ph34r:

What is truly sweet is to see this team really starting to gel. The possible shot at the playoffs is icing on the cake. If we keep playing like we have the last couple weeks AND get in, we could make some noise! I bet teams are starting to worry about having to play us now (and if not, they should be).

Go Bills!

Anyone could give an updated scenario?

870017[/snapback]

I'm bumping this because I'd like to see someone fully explain the tiebreakers situation and where we stand compared to the other AFC teams in that regard....

However, I'll try my best to summarize it right:

Assuming the Chiefs go on to lose tonight's game (it's currently a 14-3 SD lead at the half), I think we will "only" need to worry about 4 other teams: Jets, Bengals, Broncos, and Jags. And since the Bengals and Broncos play each other next week (guaranteeing 1 of them a wild card spot over us), we will need all of the following to occur in order to get the other wild card spot:

A. Bills win last 2 games

B. Jets lose to Miami next Sunday

C. Jags lose 1 of their next 2 games

I feel good about the Jags losing to either NE next week or KC in Arrowhead. And if Miami can beat the Jets on Christmas, then we control our own destiny! However, if Miami's December swoon is already in full gear, then our season is over :rolleyes: