I'd say Rodriguez is jumpin ship

bartshan-83

I find it strange that in the NFL, there is an ant-tampering policy to prevent teams from contacting coaches for jobs in season. Yet in college football where the players are 18-22 year old student, not professionals, a bowl-bound coach is being faxed offers on the same day he is prepping "his" players for the bowl game.

Honestly, it seems a little ass backwards. In the NFL, the players are much more aware of the "business" aspect of football and a coach making other plans doesn't seem like it would be as big of a deal.

I have to say though that I like the way things are done in the NCAA. I think potential recruits and current players should have the right to as much information about possible changes that could seriously impact their futures. If I was a recruit signed to WVU, I'd be happy that I knew about his now, than if he was barred from saying anything until the new year and then options could be more limited. I just feel bad for the players that are currently at the school that got caught up in the mix. My senior year when we fired Tyrone, there was a big division among the players. Some wanted to go the bowl game, some wanted to reject the bid and no one was happy. A lot of seniors who probably could/would have come back for a 5th year did not because who knew what was going to happen.

Anyway, whatever...he did a bang up job with the Mountaineers, but if he leaves, coaching a [edit: previously] sanctioned SEC team with a proud history and impatient alumni might be a bit of a rude awakening...

Bama

I can empathize with Alabama though. It sucks to watch a once proud football program get repeatedly spurned by coaches of "lesser" programs. I mean lesser in the sense that it would be hard for an Alabama fan to see WVU as a superior team given the history of both. While that has no bearing on the present state of things, it still stings nonetheless.

I was less than thrilled when Urban Meyer turned us down. And just as unhappy when coaches like Stoops basically laughed at us when we were searching for Davie's replacement. It's a shot to your pride. And it is disheartening to have to go back to the drawing board and find someone else who was lower on your list.

But life goes on... :wallbash:

I'll let BlueFire defend himself, but I'd say that is not a worse job, but a harder one and quite probably one that would end badly for Rodriguez.

If you want to talk about a coach inheriting a Bama team that was a "really, really crappy job" at the time, then I'd point you to the guy who just got fired. Shula took on a team with serious sanctions against it and an NCAA committee that was just daring them to step out of line again. I'd say he did a pretty good job all things considered, but apparently it wasn't enough. The man did win 10 games last year, but the alumni didn't think that cut it. I liken it to the ND/Willingham situation.

I am speaking purely as an outsider to Alabama football, but I'd wager that the powers that guided Shula's firing can be paralleled very closely to those that bought out Willingham's contract in 2004. Maybe they saw Shula as a decent coach who had some good success given the circumstances, but he was never a guy who would get them back. But who knows?

I'd say that Alabama isn't as attractive as it once was simply for a few reasons.

1. Recent up and down record (obvious one)

2. Still shaking the stigma of 2 separate NCAA penalties since 1995.

3. The general consensus that the SEC is a slaughterhouse.

Having said that, they are free of the sanctions, have a ton of historical relevance and I read somewhere that their facilities are state-of-the-art. So it's not like this is the Miami job.

I think that Rodriguez feels that he has a better chance of winning a NATL title at WVU. His team will compete for (and most likely be favored to win) the Big East title every year and its automatic BCS bid. And he also has a decent chance to win every game on his schedule in most of those years. With Louisville's steady climb and Rutger's apparent arrival at a national level, WVU will face some good challenges. But that's nothing compared to what Alabama faces every year. Had he taken the job, I wouldn't bet on Rodriguez performing at such a level that in 3-4 years his job would still be safe.

I liken his decision to Urban Meyer's two years ago. I think Meyer saw Florida as an "easier" job than ND. They were already closer talent-wise, recruiting would be easier and pressure to win would be less severe. I think he took the easy way out. But obviously it is looking pretty good for him as he preps his team for their date in Glendale. Hopefully for him, Rodriguez will enjoy similar success.

But if I were an Alabama fan, I would be disappointed. But if he didn't take the job for the reasons I mentioned (and it is quite possible that every reason I gave is total bullsht) then I wouldn't want him.

Bart pretty much summed up my thoughts.

If I was Rodriguez, with the way my team is playing and the situation I'm in, I stay where I am until I get a job that is going to put me in a decently easy position to win.

It is "crappy" in the sense that right now I get the feeling that Alabama is a place where coaches like Rodriguez would have a much worse chance at winning than at WVU.

If I was Rodriguez, I wouldn't want a job where the odds were stacked against me, especially since I already have one where everything is in my favor.

Now, if it was, say, a hot OC/DC coordinator like Chizik or Shannon who was looking at it, then I'd say it is a pretty damn good opening and provides a better opportunity than most coordinators would receive.

How attractive and strong a job is, at least in the case of head coaches, is relative to their current position.

I'll let BlueFire defend himself, but I'd say that is not a worse job, but a harder one and quite probably one that would end badly for Rodriguez.

A harder job, no doubt.

If you want to talk about a coach inheriting a Bama team that was a "really, really crappy job" at the time, then I'd point you to the guy who just got fired.  Shula took on a team with serious sanctions against it and an NCAA committee that was just daring them to step out of line again.  I'd say he did a pretty good job all things considered, but apparently it wasn't enough.  The man did win 10 games last year, but the alumni didn't think that cut it.  I liken it to the ND/Willingham situation.

Shula's won-loss record doesn't tell the whole story.

I am speaking purely as an outsider to Alabama football, but I'd wager that the powers that guided Shula's firing can be paralleled very closely to those that bought out Willingham's contract in 2004.  Maybe they saw Shula as a decent coach who had some good success given the circumstances, but he was never a guy who would get them back.  But who knows?

Shula was given the opportunity to stay the HC. All Shula needed to do was replace some people on his coaching staff. He refused, thinking all that was needed was to re-shuffle the duties and responsibilities.

As much as I would have loved for Shula to grow into his job (as the majority of Tide fans hoped), it was becoming pretty obvious that was never going to happen.

1) Indecisive in making decisions during a game

2) Clock management - terrible

3) Specifically this year, the red zone offense was &*^*&^*)*%#$@ putrid, yet nothing was done to correct the problem.

4) He was losing control of his players.

I'd say that Alabama isn't as attractive as it once was simply for a few reasons.

1. Recent up and down record (obvious one)

2. Still shaking the stigma of 2 separate NCAA penalties since 1995.

3. The general consensus that the SEC is a slaughterhouse.

Cannot disagree with any of these points.

Having said that, they are free of the sanctions, have a ton of historical relevance and I read somewhere that their facilities are state-of-the-art.  So it's not like this is the Miami job.

I think that Rodriguez feels that he has a better chance of winning a NATL title at WVU.  His team will compete for (and most likely be favored to win) the Big East title every year and its automatic BCS bid.  And he also has a decent chance to win every game on his schedule in most of those years.  With Louisville's steady climb and Rutger's apparent arrival at a national level, WVU will face some good challenges.  But that's nothing compared to what Alabama faces every year.  Had he taken the job, I wouldn't bet on Rodriguez performing at such a level that in 3-4 years his job would still be safe.

Again, cannot disagree, except for his job safety. At this point, most Tide fans want the following:

1) Stability brought back to the program (1-2 year time frame)

2) The team being competitive (would be expected in 2-3 years)

Do those two things, then the following will occur:

3) A couple of SEC West divisions champ.

4) A SEC Conference champ.

Focus and complete 1-4, at somepoint:

5) A national championship will come

I liken his decision to Urban Meyer's two years ago.  I think Meyer saw Florida as an "easier" job than ND.  They were already closer talent-wise, recruiting would be easier and pressure to win would be less severe.  I think he took the easy way out.  But obviously it is looking pretty good for him as he preps his team for their date in Glendale.  Hopefully for him, Rodriguez will enjoy similar success.

But if I were an Alabama fan, I would be disappointed.  But if he didn't take the job for the reasons I mentioned (and it is quite possible that every reason I gave is total bullsht) then I wouldn't want him.

860936[/snapback]

Waking up Friday, I said to myself, I would not be surprised if Rodriguez turned down the offer (his was coaching his alma mater with successful results after all), and this was nothing more than another coach using the UA HC position as leverage at his present school.

Then I saw the reports where Rodgriguez was talking to the heads of WVU about his contract and other things.

At that point, I came to the conclusion he had no intentions of leaving WVU, and the UA offer was primarily being used as leverage. But, he could accept the offer as a Plan B if WVU wasn't willing to give him more concessions.

The only disappointment I feel is this constant need to use UA job as a reason to get more whatever from their present school. I saw it with Spurrier at South Carolina and now Rodriguez at WVU.

re: the Alabama coaching position..

Can Bama promote an assistant coach like U of Miami did ???

Just wondering....

As a fan of both of WV's Universities,,,WVU and Marshall, I am glad to see coach Rod stay. He got a bunch of moola from the boosters to stay, but that is just my speculation...

re: the Alabama coaching position..

Can Bama promote an assistant coach like U of Miami did ???

Just wondering....

As far as I know, they can hire or promote anybody they want. (Looking for a job? Good pay. Outstanding facilities. Southern Belles.)

There is a small faction of fans that would like DC / Interim HC Joe Kines get a crack at the job, but apparently at some point in the past four years, Joe has stated he has no desire to be a HC.

As a fan of both of WV's Universities,,,WVU and Marshall, I am glad to see coach Rod stay.  He got a bunch of moola from the boosters to stay, but that is just my speculation...

862255[/snapback]

From what I've read, he and his staff were going to get a raise (no where what Bama was offering, but an increase none the less), and WVU was going to get serious about updating their facilities.

How much of that is true? You got me.

• 3 years later...

I was thinking the other day how active this board used to be. Seems like no one posts much anymore...even Ed's ridiculousness was entertaining. I started reading some old posts and I ended up going back a few years.

This was one of a few posts about Alabama and their troubles and coaching search. I just thought I'd dig it up because it drove home how impacting a big-time coach can be. Alabama is on the verge of another NC (What's this like #27 by bama fans' count, Cynical? I kid, I kid...) and it is crazy to look at where the program was just 3 years ago. Lost and battered in the middle of the brutal SEC with seemingly no hope for an immediate turn-around. RichRod rebuffing the offer was just icing on the cake to a disastrous stretch that as an ND fan, I can completely relate to.

Fast-forward 3 years and it's hard to remember the landscape. That job was unattractive and I don't think even the staunchest Tide backers would have expected to be where they are now. The job Saban has done is incredible. It just put into perspective what the right guy can do even in the toughest of situations. Supposedly rock-solid excuses other programs use when a turn-around seems to be dragging out are rendered moot.

I wonder what the landscape of Alabama and SEC would look like had RR taken the job. Where would Michigan be? Where would Saban be?

Maybe I'm overstating the obvious here, but it was just something I thought was interesting...

Yep. I try to add college posts here, but it seems that the action has flipped over to TSW. Looks like we'll be paddling upstream. I do think that the TSW mods should move those college posts over here.

Oh well.

Same problem with the baseball board. People get too lazy or just want their thread noticed so they post it OTW instead of in the proper forum. All those Clausen/Tebow/Kelly threads should be here.

But anyway, good job with the Way Back machine Bart. Agreed it is an impressive turnaround for Saban and Alabama. The right coach makes a big difference in the pros, but a huge difference in college.

Sure would be nice to see that happen in South Bend. :unsure:

Yep. I try to add college posts here, but it seems that the action has flipped over to TSW. Looks like we'll be paddling upstream. I do think that the TSW mods should move those college posts over here.

Oh well.

Same problem with the baseball board. People get too lazy or just want their thread noticed so they post it OTW instead of in the proper forum. All those Clausen/Tebow/Kelly threads should be here.

I partially agree, but I also have no desire for some of the mouth-breathers to come and turn it into a one of the many trainwrecks that occur on the main wall. We used to have a very good balance I thought. Several very active posters who all were pretty knowledgeable in college sports. There were some very good discussions about rankings, playoff systems, BCS, conference strength, and yes, even the great rise of Rutgers... :lol:

Sometimes less is more. Unfortunately, lately it's been too "less." And I blame myself for that as much as anyone. I didn't really post much here at all except for the occasional ND-related topic.

But anyway, good job with the Way Back machine Bart. Agreed it is an impressive turnaround for Saban and Alabama. The right coach makes a big difference in the pros, but a huge difference in college.

Sure would be nice to see that happen in South Bend. :unsure:

We can hope. I think we finally got our guy. First good thing he did was gut the entire staff except for the RB coach. The only one I'm remotely sad to lose was Polian as he had shown a real talent for recruiting. But he was entirely useless as a ST coach, which used to be a huge strength.

I made excuses for Weis for the last few years under the guise of "these things take time." True, that sometimes greatness is achieved slowly. But Carroll walked into Southern Cal and turned 20 years of mediocrity into the best team of the decade. Urban walked into Gainesville and took a stocked cupboard to places they belonged. And Saban went to a rebuffed, undesirable situation in a jungle conference and immediately produced a winner. If Kelly is the real deal, we'll see things move fast.

I partially agree, but I also have no desire for some of the mouth-breathers to come and turn it into a one of the many trainwrecks that occur on the main wall. We used to have a very good balance I thought. Several very active posters who all were pretty knowledgeable in college sports. There were some very good discussions about rankings, playoff systems, BCS, conference strength, and yes, even the great rise of Rutgers... :lol:

Sometimes less is more. Unfortunately, lately it's been too "less." And I blame myself for that as much as anyone. I didn't really post much here at all except for the occasional ND-related topic.

We can hope. I think we finally got our guy. First good thing he did was gut the entire staff except for the RB coach. The only one I'm remotely sad to lose was Polian as he had shown a real talent for recruiting. But he was entirely useless as a ST coach, which used to be a huge strength.

I made excuses for Weis for the last few years under the guise of "these things take time." True, that sometimes greatness is achieved slowly. But Carroll walked into Southern Cal and turned 20 years of mediocrity into the best team of the decade. Urban walked into Gainesville and took a stocked cupboard to places they belonged. And Saban went to a rebuffed, undesirable situation in a jungle conference and immediately produced a winner. If Kelly is the real deal, we'll see things move fast.

:unsure: ...good point!

I think ND is going to be pleased with Kelly. His offense is more flexible than the gaudy passing numbers indicate. Opponents - notably Fresno State, Pitt, UConn WVA, used their strong run games to keep the ball out of UCinn's hands. He's perfectly happy to grind it out, though. IMO, he and his staff did a fine job scouting the opposition's tendencies, strengths, and weaknesses.

He's aggresive in putting the ball up for big yards - he had the tools and he used them. QB Ben Mauck was always trying for the man open further downfield, and Pike and Collaros did pretty much the same. This years' club only had a couple of fumbles - probably more luck than coaching, but there it is.

He's very involved on the sidelines - and will get the point across to a player that errs - immediately. I'm pretty sure there's no rancor, though. Pike got it several times this season, and he came back and did well afterward. There's no doubt that he communicates well to the players, and their respect was obvious.

I was thinking the other day how active this board used to be. Seems like no one posts much anymore...even Ed's ridiculousness was entertaining. I started reading some old posts and I ended up going back a few years.

This was one of a few posts about Alabama and their troubles and coaching search. I just thought I'd dig it up because it drove home how impacting a big-time coach can be. Alabama is on the verge of another NC (What's this like #27 by bama fans' count, Cynical? I kid, I kid...)

Hell, I wish.

For the record: UA recognizes 12 NC, and that seems to be the universally accepted number among rational people*.

(IIRC, the NCAA recognizes Bama winning 17 NC. Whatever.)

* rational people = any non-Auburn fan, as most Auburn fans are freaking loony

and it is crazy to look at where the program was just 3 years ago. Lost and battered in the middle of the brutal SEC with seemingly no hope for an immediate turn-around. RichRod rebuffing the offer was just icing on the cake to a disastrous stretch that as an ND fan, I can completely relate to.

Fast-forward 3 years and it's hard to remember the landscape. That job was unattractive and I don't think even the staunchest Tide backers would have expected to be where they are now.

Unquestionable. If you go back and read through the thread, I even set out time frame of Tide fan expectation for Saban.

An SEC championship wasn't really expected until the 4th or 5th year. Competing for a NC? Hopefully by the time his 8 year contract ran out. (Side note: Saban has already signed a 3 yr extension)

The job Saban has done is incredible. It just put into perspective what the right guy can do even in the toughest of situations. Supposedly rock-solid excuses other programs use when a turn-around seems to be dragging out are rendered moot.

I wonder what the landscape of Alabama and SEC would look like had RR taken the job. Where would Michigan be? Where would Saban be?

Assuming Saban had decided to stay in the NFL in 2006, things would have gotten quite interesting. After being rebuffed by Rich Rod and Saban, I could not hazard a guess who would have ended up as the Bama HC. I know Paul Johnson was a candidate for the position, but would he have settled for being the "third" choice?

As for Saban, IMHO, barring a miracle, Saban would have been fired after the 2007 NFL season. It's quite possible Saban may have ended up at Michigan (he did spend 5 years at Mich St). I wonder how Michigan fans feel about that possibility?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.