As if we needed more proof....

Chilly

that the media was broken, here's another example.

Link: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/04/technolo...gin&oref=slogin

Short version: Yahoo! and Reuters are going to be accepting submission from users for news. Cellphones, professional, it doesn't matter as people don't care.

People who submit the content won't be compensated, unless it goes wide in the Reuters network, for which there will be a minimal compensation.

I know reporters are vilified on here, but they serve some decent purposes. The quality of news will continue its sad slide, and this only helps it.

Reuters gets to receive lots of free content without having to pay a reporter, which seems like a win for them.

Yahoo! gets content that allows them to show more advertisements as well as compete with Google Video/Google's Youtube.

Even more pictures/video clips are going to start showing up which are way out of context and don't present a good picture of the situation at hand.

Its a win for both Yahoo! and Reuters, and it sucks for everyone else.

I'm not exactly sure how to fix it, but I do know one thing - a media which is funded by and slaves to its shareholders causes news quality to decline rapidly.

that the media was broken, here's another example.

Link: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/04/technolo...gin&oref=slogin

Short version:  Yahoo! and Reuters are going to be accepting submission from users for news.  Cellphones, professional, it doesn't matter as people don't care.

People who submit the content won't be compensated, unless it goes wide in the Reuters network, for which there will be a minimal compensation.

I know reporters are vilified on here, but they serve some decent purposes.  The quality of news will continue its sad slide, and this only helps it.

Reuters gets to receive lots of free content without having to pay a reporter, which seems like a win for them.

Yahoo! gets content that allows them to show more advertisements as well as compete with Google Video/Google's Youtube.

Even more pictures/video clips are going to start showing up which are way out of context and don't present a good picture of the situation at hand.

Its a win for both Yahoo! and Reuters, and it sucks for everyone else.

I'm not exactly sure how to fix it, but I do know one thing - a media which is funded by and slaves to its shareholders causes news quality to decline rapidly.

857354[/snapback]

Blog you? Oh, Yeah? Well Blog you too!!!

BTW, I have that on a reliable source......

857354[/snapback]

Not good news if you went to J-school (not like you go into it for $ anyway, but...).

And if you thought the quality of news had hit rock bottom, it will now start to dig.

Not good news if you went to J-school (not like you go into it for $ anyway, but...).

And if you thought the quality of news had hit rock bottom, it will now start to dig.

857443[/snapback]

OtoH, I think it's a remarkable phenomenon. It should give us pause and make us wonder: how 'real' or trusted is the news most people get anyway? What if there could be an open source-type movement in news? What is the nature of the truth? The answers might not all be accurate or academically certifiable -- certainly not subject to the kind of peer-review process or journalistic standards we believe we're getting. But it's quite an interesting rupture. Even more interesting is that the only response companies seem to take to this phenomenon is to keep swallowing one another up and consolidating.

Not so different than the CIA and the Pentagon in 2003.  :doh:

857735[/snapback]

??????????

Reuters was using that doctored pictures of the fire in a town in Lebanon and the woman who's "house " got "bombed" twice in a week. Also the video of the green helmet guy carrying the dead kids.

The supposed Iraqi policeman that reported people were burned alive doesn't exist.