Official 2007 Orange B'ball Thread

BuffOrange

Should I bother bumping this? Another game another home loss. WTF? Not surprising since they were underdogs, but still...

The backcourt offense is the only part of the team that looks decent. The perimeter D is horrid. The interior offense only scores off guard penetration and can't create any of their own shots (this part isn't surprsing I guess, as it's been the case for years except for Warrick). They have to work hard for every bucket while the opponent regularly gets double digit "garbage points".

They actually played pretty well in the 1st half of this game, but should've been up more than 1.

Poojer - I disagree alot with your assessment of Harris. His offensive game is clearly not polished to this point, but he's a good worker.

BTW, Aaron Gray is extremely overrated. Nice backcourt for Pitt though, which is unusual for them.

Harris might not be polished--but he gives us a ton more offense than T Rob. Big mistake pulling Harris down the stretch, when we needed another scorer on the floor.

Aaron Gray is a step too slow for the NBA. He'll be a benchwarmer and then out of the league in a year or two.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not exactly sure what you expecting out of Harris. If you've seen him play for 30 seconds, you know he can't shoot and has a lot to learn about breaking down D1 athletes off the dribble. His assets right now are on-the-ball defense and rebounding.

"Do it all Paul" isnt doing much of anything offensively. I hope he gets his act squared away sometime soon. Good news is that we are currently 14-4 with 12 games left. Worst case scenerio, we finish 6-6 or 20-10, and still probably have a good shot at the tourney. Myself though, im pretty much writing off this season and looking to next year when some good recruits are on their way in.

Pretty good accessment:

In the national game on CBS, Syracuse beat Villanova handily. This Orange team is wildly inconsistent, but they are also incredibly deep and dangerous. They have four players who have the ability to take over a game, or completely disappear. One gets the sense that Jim Boeheim is still trying to determine the correct rotation. If he gets it right, this team has the ability to make a deep run in March. If he doesn't, they could miss the tourney entirely.

link

Pretty good accessment:

link

Yeah that's a fair analysis. It's really a down year for the Big East though with Uconn being down and G'town not living up to expectations. There aren't many games left where they'll be decisive underdogs with the exception of @Pitt.

Hopefully Marquette continues to play well - that's a road win that will really help their case if they are a 'bubble team' come March.

My thoughts:

1. Harris doesn't have a position this year...he's a true "3", where Nichols in entrenched, and Harris is too small to play the 4. Next year, he'll be given every opportunity to shine.

2. Devendorf - his trash talking irritates me, but kid can ball. I don't think he's going anywhere. Apparently, a good friend of his back home was murdered, so his head really wasn't there early this year.

3. Watkins - playing extremely well, IMO. He'll be a first rounder if he keeps this up.

4. Boeheim - play a little man-to-man for once. Look what happened when you went man against Nova....

5. Roberts - spaz

6. Wright - see Roberts

I think they'll get to the 2nd round this year. Next year will be fun, with Flynn, Jardine, Jackson and Greenec coming in. I don't think that the 5th member of the class, Sean Williams, will ever set foot on campus.

My thoughts:

1. Harris doesn't have a position this year...he's a true "3", where Nichols in entrenched, and Harris is too small to play the 4. Next year, he'll be given every opportunity to shine.

i agree with this. and the good news is that it will force Harris to play his Soph. year.

there was talk when he first signed on that he would be a "one and done" player. there is little doubt that will not happen now with his lack of production, but he is getting quality minutes this year that will only help him next year.

he is arguably the most gifted athelte on the team and i do think he will go pro after his Soph year.

My thoughts:

2. Devendorf - his trash talking irritates me, but kid can ball. I don't think he's going anywhere. Apparently, a good friend of his back home was murdered, so his head really wasn't there early this year.

3. Watkins - playing extremely well, IMO. He'll be a first rounder if he keeps this up.

4. Boeheim - play a little man-to-man for once. Look what happened when you went man against Nova....

5. Roberts - spaz

6. Wright - see Roberts

I think they'll get to the 2nd round this year. Next year will be fun, with Flynn, Jardine, Jackson and Greenec coming in. I don't think that the 5th member of the class, Sean Williams, will ever set foot on campus.

1) On Devendforf, I agree that his trash talking is a little over the top. But I think it's more of a result of his emotion. He seems to really be a good sportsman when it comes to players on the other team (helping them up, hitting them on the backside, etc.)

2) T Rob could be the most frustrating player ever to come out of Syracuse. The dude is an athletic freak with super basketball smarts--but then he'll just disappear for games. If he were to play to his potential, he'd be a 20/10 guy every night.

3) Watkins needs more bulk and offense to play in the NBA. I wish he developed a jump hook or at least one consistent move.

I don't mind TR disappearing for bits. He just needs to learn to play within himself. Stop trying to break down guys off the dribble, stop taking 3 pointers. Stick with fast break points, dunks and passing down low. Those are his strengths.

Devendorf is pretty much a punk but I could deal with that if he would just tune down the turnovers.

Watkins has a NBA body. He's get a shot.

I don't mind TR disappearing for bits. He just needs to learn to play within himself. Stop trying to break down guys off the dribble, stop taking 3 pointers. Stick with fast break points, dunks and passing down low. Those are his strengths.

Totally agree. But there's no reason for him to not be taking and hitting about 5-6 more shots around the rim per game. He's been one of my favorite players at SU--which is why maybe I've been most disappointed with him; just expecting too much.

Devendorf is pretty much a punk but I could deal with that if he would just tune down the turnovers.

Agree completely. I want to stab my eyes out every time TRob touches the ball above the foul line - it's like a turnover waiting to happen.

I don't think Watkins & NBA really go together. But I thought the same about Etan Thomas & Jason Hart, so what the heck do I know.

Anyway, most unimpressive win ever tonight vs. a bad team at home, but we'll take it I guess.

BuffOrange: don't mean to rub salt in the wound (just saw this thread today), but both the Marquette and Rutgers games were shown on ESPN Full Court - they had a free preview last week.

;)

Uuuugly game tonight.

Hoping that the team will learn something from winning a close one down the stretch.

Mook was lost offensively tonight. Surprising, given Cinci's lack of size.

Not sure if this is true, but WAER is reporting that Harris missed practice yesterday....hence his 4 minutes of PT tonight.

Not sure if this is true, but WAER is reporting that Harris missed practice yesterday....hence his 4 minutes of PT tonight.

i have been searching for something online that confirms this and can't find anything.

i will be really nervous is this kid starts looking for a transfer.