Non-partisan Question

Campy

This has probably been addressed, so forgive me if I'm being redundant, but whatever happened to presidential debates?

I don't mean the made-for-TV sound-bite BS we've seen over the last twenty-some odd years, I mean true debates.

I remember watching candidates being forced to go "off message" and have to think on their feet. I also remember the last true debate was Reagan-Mondale, which Reagan won handily. The modern presidential debate is IMO nothing more than infomercials, and unless one person puts his foot in his mouth, there is no real winner or loser. They're so scripted and contrived with all of their silly rules -can't use notes, must sit/stand, cannot address each other, limiting topics, etc., they've become a farce.

I remember the League of Women Voters sponsoring them back in the 70's, but they haven't since Reagan-Mondale, which again, I consider the last true presidential debate.

They had a panel of moderators, no set topics, and made for good lessons in debate AND democracy.

Did the LWV disband? Did they get sick of the politicos' BS?

Whatever happened to LWV & true presidential debates?

'08 or '12 at the latest...instead of a pitcher and glasses, we see bottles of Evian on the podiums.  That's how it starts...

62065[/snapback]

Evian? Isn't that French? They'll have to find some "Freedom Water" instead.

This has probably been addressed, so forgive me if I'm being redundant, but whatever happened to presidential debates?

I don't mean the made-for-TV sound-bite BS we've seen over the last twenty-some odd years, I mean true debates. 

I remember watching candidates being forced to go "off message" and have to think on their feet.  I also remember the last true debate was Reagan-Mondale, which Reagan won handily.  The modern presidential debate is IMO nothing more than infomercials, and unless one person puts his foot in his mouth, there is no real winner or loser.  They're so scripted and contrived with all of their silly rules -can't use notes, must sit/stand, cannot address each other, limiting topics, etc., they've become a farce.

I remember the League of Women Voters sponsoring them back in the 70's, but they haven't since Reagan-Mondale, which again, I consider the last true presidential debate. 

They had a panel of moderators, no set topics, and made for good lessons in debate AND democracy.

Did the LWV disband?  Did they get sick of the politicos' BS?

Whatever happened to LWV & true presidential debates?

61896[/snapback]

Not sure of which debate it was exactly but I think it was the Reagan Mondale debates were the last. After that the two parties got ahold of the process and it's gone downhill from there. The two major parties control the whole process now and the comission is co-chaired by a former head of the DNC and a former head of the RNC.