Buffalo Bills Shortcut vs Jags

RunTheBall

I was at the game so this was the first time I had a chance to watch it on TV. The NFL Sunday Ticket Shortcuts are a great way to check out the whole game in 30 minutes or just concentrate on a few plays.

Anyway, I'm sure some of these have been mentioned but here goes.

1) On Roscoe's punt return, Coy Wire got away with a horrendous hold on a player who would have had a good shot at tackling Roscoe. I can't believe the refs missed that one as it was blatant. It's about time we benefited from a non-call so I'm not worried about it.

2) Roscoe was already getting his balance back when Thomas grabbed his jersey during the punt return

3) On the 4th and 14 play, Crowell just absolutely whiffed on that tackle. He had Gerard lined up 3 yards short of the first down marker and just MISSED. He barely touched Gerards left side. That's god-awful from a linebacker in a game ending situation and I hope he got reamed for that. Whoever was comparing him to an early TKO needs their head examined. He's going to be solid but he's got a ways to go (and not just from that one play)

4) Ko Simpson can hit! Once he stops thinking so much and just lets his ability take over I think he's going to be a tremendous force in the backfield. Receivers are not going to want to go over the middle once he can consistently lay the wood on them.

5) The reason Royal was so far in the backfield on the play in the 4th quarter where JP lateraled the ball to him on 3rd down was because he went to block the DE and just BOUNCED off him even though the DE was engaged by Peters at the time.

6) A HUGE reason why JP got that last throw to Roscoe off was because Willis destroyed a linebacker on a blitz pick up. I'm happy to see him really improving on blitz pickups since the beginning of the season.

7) Willis looked fast at the stadium on his long TD run. He looked fast on the tape. I don't know if this is the speed we've been looking for but he's fast enough once he gets into the open to be a very good back.

8) The improvement in the O-line is a combination of the O-line playing better and JP making faster decisions.

RTB

I was at the game so this was the first time I had a chance to watch it on TV. The NFL Sunday Ticket Shortcuts are a great way to check out the whole game in 30 minutes or just concentrate on a few plays.

Anyway, I'm sure some of these have been mentioned but here goes.

1) On Roscoe's punt return, Coy Wire got away with a horrendous hold on a player who would have had a good shot at tackling Roscoe. I can't believe the refs missed that one as it was blatant. It's about time we benefited from a non-call so I'm not worried about it.

2) Roscoe was already getting his balance back when Thomas grabbed his jersey during the punt return

3) On the 4th and 14 play, Crowell just absolutely whiffed on that tackle. He had Gerard lined up 3 yards short of the first down marker and just MISSED. He barely touched Gerards left side. That's god-awful from a linebacker in a game ending situation and I hope he got reamed for that. Whoever was comparing him to an early TKO needs their head examined. He's going to be solid but he's got a ways to go (and not just from that one play)

4) Ko Simpson can hit! Once he stops thinking so much and just lets his ability take over I think he's going to be a tremendous force in the backfield. Receivers are not going to want to go over the middle once he can consistently lay the wood on them.

5) The reason Royal was so far in the backfield on the play in the 4th quarter where JP lateraled the ball to him on 3rd down was because he went to block the DE and just BOUNCED off him even though the DE was engaged by Peters at the time.

6) A HUGE reason why JP got that last throw to Roscoe off was because Willis destroyed a linebacker on a blitz pick up. I'm happy to see him really improving on blitz pickups since the beginning of the season.

7) Willis looked fast at the stadium on his long TD run. He looked fast on the tape. I don't know if this is the speed we've been looking for but he's fast enough once he gets into the open to be a very good back.

8) The improvement in the O-line is a combination of the O-line playing better and JP making faster decisions.

RTB

851980[/snapback]

Nice observations :blink:

1) I think you meant to say "Coy Wire, ST demon, got away with a horrendous hold..." :worthy:

2) One of the announcers was making that point after the play. I am surprised how much it is being reported in articles that Thomas aided him.

3) Crowell and Urlacher and Eddie Robinson can compare notes :blink:

4) I love the way Simpson is playing - he always seems to be making contact and actually pulling guys down when he is in on a play (which is often). I still think Whitner needs to improve his tackling.

1) I think you meant to say "Coy Wire, ST demon, got away with a horrendous hold..."  :nana:

Bro, I've been a silent partner in your attempt to educate the masses in the myth that is Coy Wire "Special teams demon".

The worst thing I found out this Thanksgiving was that he has been hitting on my cousin. I told her that she should continue to ignore his advances as I would not be able to hold back the criticism at family gatherings :beer:

RTB

Bro, I've been a silent partner in your attempt to educate the masses in the myth that is Coy Wire "Special teams demon".

The worst thing I found out this Thanksgiving was that he has been hitting on my cousin. I told her that she should continue to ignore his advances as I would not be able to hold back the criticism at family gatherings  :nana:

RTB

852163[/snapback]

Well - if they do hook up - think of all the fun and entertainment value he'll add to the family gathering proceedings - just seeing him jumping out of the pool alone will be worth it :beer:

Plus if you feel compelled to criticize him, all you need to do is immediately run a pass route - he won't get within 10 yards of you...

Some other observations watching NFL replay with a DVR:

On the interception play, Willis had a tremendous block leaving his feet, without which I think JP wouldn't have stepped up far enough in the pocket and it might have been a sack. That said, Pennington doesn't seem to block anybody (maybe the scheme, and then drifts back, and collides with JP as he throws. The ball was so badly thrown on first glance, but I think this was a "hit as he throws" effect, and looking at it closer, Lee might have been open deep if Pennington doesn't make contact with JP.

JP underthrew Lee baldy on the pass interference bomb, but the ball still went a long way in the air.

Crowell looked bad on the painful running drive on several plays including the touchdown. He also seemed out of place on the big roll out pass to Drew. I don't know the defensive responsibilities, but seeing where Fletcher was and where Crowell was (and Crowell running two strides behind Drew for ten yards) it looked like this was on him. Obviously his whiff on the big 4th down play was a potential game killer. Everybody gets a bad day, but he really just didn't seem to have much ball hawk to him on Sunday.

Beyond the obvious plays, Tripplett was just very impressive, consistently getting penetration as our defensive scheme calls for. Kyle really didn't seem to be very effective or disruptive and often seemed a little slow off of blocks in a bunch of plays. I think he will be a good player, but I think the early season hopes got a little too high for him, and two years from now we'll all agree that McCargo is the much better player.

Clearly getting the ball into Roscoe's hands is a good thing, and we need to make sure it happens more, because it feels like sometimes he goes a week with two fair catches and one dropped pass, and never gets to do what he does.

Just one game, and we get McCargo for "free" next year, but I'm actually more concerned with rush defense than the O-Line right now. I was impressed with the O-Line as a whole, even though they have a long way to go and the weakest link or two will need to be replaced this off season as well (Preston to backup with a stud taking his place seems most logical right now, but I'll wait and see).

Go Bills!