Latest Chirac Rant

MichFan

the lines that stood out to me were...

English is considered by most people a far more valuable and practical second language, particularly among businessmen.

maybe thats why nobody wants to learn french anymore jacques

Chirac stressed that only with government assistance could countries maintain their cultural heritage.

yeah, if we let those silly proles decide the will of the state may be undermined

Don't you mean bâiller?  It must really bother you that the leader of the liberal free world is as off-kilter as you libs accuse Bush of being.

61366[/snapback]

Sorry, yawn, sils vout plait.

Leader of the liberal free world? You're reaching, man. Please go phone someone who cares.

To hell with "Freedom Fries".

They should call them "!@#$ the French Fries".

Nice having allies like this, isnt it? And this is one of the folks Flopenstein thinks he's going to cuddle up with if he's elected.

And I love how if I decide to buy American Chris King/Bontrager rims for my mountain bike instead of French-made Mavics, I AM the "closed minded" fool.

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash5.htm

I guess not only are we supposed to pull our troops out of Iraq, but we are also supposed to pull our language out of the rest of the world.  I feel like such an imperialist pig for speaking the English language.

61331[/snapback]

"Speaking at a French cultural center in Hanoi ahead of Friday's opening of a summit of European and Asian leaders, Chirac said France was right to stand up for cultural and linguistic diversity."

Last time I looked around, there were an awful lot of people here speaking Spanish as well. I guess Chirac hasn't been here in while.

"Speaking at a French cultural center in Hanoi ahead of Friday's opening of a summit of European and Asian leaders, Chirac said France was right to stand up for cultural and linguistic diversity."

61684[/snapback]

Like, say, by passing a law banning head-scarves for muslim schoolgirls and turbans for Sikh schoolboys? Way to stand up there, Jacques! ;)

Like, say,  by passing a law banning head-scarves for muslim schoolgirls and turbans for Sikh schoolboys? Way to stand up there, Jacques! <_<

62332[/snapback]

I think he meant, cultural and linguistic diversity is OK as long as it doesn't affect French culture and language..... :(

Like, say,  by passing a law banning head-scarves for muslim schoolgirls and turbans for Sikh schoolboys? Way to stand up there, Jacques! <_<

62332[/snapback]

Also banned are yarmulkes and large crosses. ALL religious stuff that people tend to wear to...well, for whatever reason. Because they're afraid not to, because they're showing off or because they feel it gives them some kind of protection.

So he's not discriminating against one religion, they are all subject.

Since I worked with Muslims here in the good old US of A who had to remove their head scarves for fear of their lives I wonder what makes people here feel so superior about old Jacques. Perhaps he's just trying to protect people from ignorant, hateful bigots.