Get the Dish (Directv) and stop complaining

CJPearl2

Most landlords also put a clause in the lease that says, "We can come into your apartment at any time for any reason."  Well (in Minnesota at least) that's an unenforcable clause and the landlord can be sued for $50/occurance.  Just because it's in a contract/lease, doesn't mean it's the law.  I know, I had to sue my landlord and I brought that up during the trial.

847247[/snapback]

I was able to break my lease because the landlord was not following the rules in the lease about apartment access. There were several other issues to, but it was funny that they insisted there was no way I could legally get out of my lease. That was one reason among 4 that they were in violation of.

With all the DirecTV love, I think this is important to point out. I'm completely happy with DirecTV; however, their installers completely suck balls.  I thought it was just the guys that came to my house; but apparently not.  If you care anything about the appearance of your home's exterior; I'd strongly suggest you do the installation yourself.  Just let the guy mount the dish and point it; but run the cables (inside and out) yourself and set up your receiver.

847447[/snapback]

I went and fished my own walls before they came, and left pull strings to make it easier on me when they did the install.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With all the DirecTV love, I think this is important to point out. I'm completely happy with DirecTV; however, their installers completely suck balls.  I thought it was just the guys that came to my house; but apparently not.  If you care anything about the appearance of your home's exterior; I'd strongly suggest you do the installation yourself.  Just let the guy mount the dish and point it; but run the cables (inside and out) yourself and set up your receiver.

847447[/snapback]

Not all installers are bad, but there are a lot of them.

Then there's installers like I had. When I was getting the triple-LNB dish, an installer had to come out three separate times to fish two cables from the roof through the attic, through the 2nd floor walls, through the 1st floor walls, and into the basement. They could've given up because it was a tough install, but he did a wonderful job and the only evidence of their work is another j-box at the top of the 2nd floor stairs. Oh, and they never even charged me for the install!

But yes, I've heard that a lot (most?) installers suck. (they're not DirecTV installers, they're independent contractors).

CW

Not all installers are bad, but there are a lot of them.

Then there's installers like I had.  When I was getting the triple-LNB dish, an installer had to come out three separate times to fish two cables from the roof through the attic, through the 2nd floor walls, through the 1st floor walls, and into the basement.  They could've given up because it was a tough install, but he did a wonderful job and the only evidence of their work is another j-box at the top of the 2nd floor stairs.  Oh, and they never even charged me for the install!

But yes, I've heard that a lot (most?) installers suck.  (they're not DirecTV installers, they're independent contractors).

CW

847569[/snapback]

I'm eventually going to need to swap out my receiver and get a new dish, and I'm interested in the wiring options. The dish is currently on my roof and the wiring runs down the outside of my buidling and into the unit. Is there a way to avoid drilling holes on the outside of the building, and for them to run wires internal to the building? The building was pre-wired for cable, but I'm not sure what would be involved to have them connect into the master box, which I'm assuming would hopefully allow me to connect my receiver where the cable outlet currently is inside my unit. That would be a dream install for me, if possible. Any ideas Fez on where to learn more about this?