Anyone driving a newer VW?

ajzepp

oh yeah..I have been the proud owner of a LeSabre since 2003...good times

843115[/snapback]

we had a Skylark when I was a kid, but I don't think I've even SEEN a Buick in years....last time I saw one was on tv when Tiger Woods was pimping them at the golf tourney.

I'm glad they're still kicking, though, cause my favorite (great) uncle worked for them for years until he retired. That's the only car he'll even own :lol:

I've always wanted to buy a VW, but the last two times I've been in the market for a car (I keep my cars a long time) I couldn't find a VW offering that had a good balance of value, performance, and reliability.

A few years ago my ex-wife's Jetta was acting up and we took it to get repaired. They gave us a Golf as a rental, and when I heard about that I started making fun of it. Once I actually sat in it and drove it, it wasn't so funny anymore. I thought it was actually a pretty cool car. Well, to make a long story short, I'm goign to be buying a new car in January and the VW GTi has dropped onto my radar.

The Jetta has a trim level that is a bit more sporty and performance minded....the Passat looks nice, but I don't really want a "family car"....but the GTi looks (on paper) to be the right combination of what I want. I really don't want to go over 20k, so this is pushing my budget to the limit, but I want a car I'm excited about.

Any of you guys driving a newer (say, 2004+) VW??  If so, what do you think of it?

Ps. I'm also considering a Mitsubishi Eclipse. I bought a 1990 Eagle Talon (turbo) back in '93 and it was easily the most fun car I've ever driven/owned. I'd love to hear feedback on this vehicle, too.

842419[/snapback]

Silly focker! Ask Lana which car she prefers and that's the end of the story.

Silly focker!  Ask Lana which car she prefers and that's the end of the story.

843129[/snapback]

haha, she's a Corolla lover.....Fez told me the Corolla has some sort of sports/performance version, which may pique my interest, but otherwise that car is synonymous with "boring" as far as I'm concerned.

Every mechanic I know tells me the same thing, stay away from VW.  Personally, I like the new GTI, but it was way oevrpriced.  They are reliable but from what I hear, have computer issues.

842434[/snapback]

We own a 2004 VW Toureg, and it is the biggest mistake I have ever made in a car purchase. Cannot speak to other VW models, and this was the first year for the Toureg, but lordy that is one massive plile of doodoo.

Give you an idea on how i view the car. Took the family to northern ontario for a vacation this summer, bout 700 miles each way, took my 96 Explorer with 175,000 miles on it as I felt it was more reliable than the VW which has 40,000.

We own a 2004 VW Toureg, and it is the biggest mistake I have ever made in a car purchase. Cannot speak to other VW models, and this was the first year for the Toureg, but lordy that is one massive plile of doodoo.

Give you an idea on how i view the car. Took the family to northern ontario for a vacation this summer, bout 700 miles each way, took my 96 Explorer with 175,000 miles on it as I felt it was more reliable than the VW which has 40,000.

843160[/snapback]

Geesh, that's ridiculous....I don't understand how some of these VW's are so bad. I always thought Germans made some good vehicles :lol:

The Scion tC is a good choice,.,,,My soccer referee buddy has one and he likes it..Sporty, good mileage and they are made by Toyota....

I would also recommend the sporty Corolla...At least check it out....

Lastly,,check out the Pontiac G6....a coworker bought one and he is pleased...

Happy car shopping...

The Scion tC is a good choice,.,,,My soccer referee buddy has one and he likes it..Sporty, good mileage and they are made by Toyota....

I would also recommend the sporty Corolla...At least check it out....

Lastly,,check out the Pontiac G6....a coworker bought one and he is pleased...

Happy car shopping...

843244[/snapback]

I really like that Scion tC too....the ONLY issue I can see with it is the fact that Road and Track said its chassis can't fully handle the performance upgrade package. It may not be a deal breaker, cause I really like the car, but I sorta did want a little performance back in my car.

Saw the G6 mentioned in an article last night but haven't taken a good look yet....I'll add it to my list, though....thanks!

I was thinking the Eclipse is a great Fockermobile.  Not sure if he'll take my advise though.  ;)

843407[/snapback]

I just need to make sure that 100k mi warranty is still in effect.....otherwise I'll probably go in another direction :)

I just need to make sure that 100k mi warranty is still in effect.....otherwise I'll probably go in another direction ;)

843871[/snapback]

My brother, who works for World Wide VW, would differ with most of the idiots here on VW's. :)

Is hitchhiking still an option for you? :devil:

My brother, who works for World Wide VW, would differ with most of the idiots here on VW's. :D

Is hitchhiking still an  option for you? :P

843917[/snapback]

Think he'll cut me a deal? :D:P

New works for me :P

843942[/snapback]

I kid...

Sorry, cant help you out, toooooo busy. :D

Good luck with what ever car you purchase, as they all break down, at one time or another.

At least that's what the experts say here at TBD. Again, Good luck.....

Advice is like azzholes, everyone has one. Its amazing on what people believe.

I purchased a 95 Mitsubishi 3000GT a few months ago.  They'll bury me in.  I love it.

You can keep your VW's with the flower holders :D

844100[/snapback]

Nice car :P

I kid...

Sorry, cant help you out, toooooo busy. :D

Good luck with what ever car you purchase, as they all break down, at one time or another.

At least that's what the experts say here at TBD. Again, Good luck.....

Advice is like azzholes, everyone has one. Its amazing on what people believe.

844044[/snapback]

Okay, thanks anyway :P

Just for S's and Giggles you should check out an off lease Audi Quattro.

They're some fun and quite a ride.

844140[/snapback]

Hmmm...hadn't thought about that. I do love Audi's, though....(the A4 is pretty much my dream car). I'll check that out, thanks :P