Do you think Willis is overrated?

Overrated? Trade?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Overrated? Trade?

• Yes, He's overrated and I would trade him.
    • Yes, He's overrated but I'd keep him.
    • No, He's not overrated.

I think that WILLIS MCGAHEE IS OVERRATED. Yes, I said it, he is OVERRATED and I think the Bills should trade him. The Bills could probably get a late first, early second round pick for him and I think that would be a great value! Willis just doesn't have the heart that Marv Levy is looking for. He never breaks any tackles or finishes off his runs (and we all know that with the shape this guy is in, he could probably do some spectacular things, too). I think that Anthony Thomas has proved this immensely. He hasn't been able to stay on an NFL team the past few years, but he is making Willis McGahee look like a benchwarmer out there. Let's compare there numbers, shall we:

ATT YDS YPC LNG TD

A.Thomas 59 243 4.1 19 2

W.McGahee 154 579 3.8 32 1

With this being said, I don't think that Anthony Thomas should be the Bills starting back in the future. One guy I'd take over Willis is Michael Turner, but he is an RFA. But if the Bills were to sign him, I'd crap my pants with joy. Another guy I'd like to see the Bills take is Michael Bush. The guy was a Heisman candidate coming into the season and now the Bills might be able him in the second round. Some other prospects I'd like to see in a Bills uni are: Garrett Wolfe, Selvin Young, Alvin Banks, and Jon Cornish.

GO BILLS!

Overrated? Absolutely.. Every time I see WM take a handoff.. I'm reminded more and more of Eddie George and Eric Dickerson.. mind you, not the young versions of these RB's, but the aging, dance behind the line, run upright, won't hit the line hard versions.

As far as what we could get for him.. Probably not as much as most people would think.. I think you get a late 2nd for him as best. Teams are learning more and more that a premier RB is not a neccesity in todays NFL.. you can be just as successful with a couple of so-so RB's behind a strong O'line. Teams that spend on RB's first, are nuts. (Read: Cardinals, Raiders)

Personally, I thought we cut the best RB we had in Training Camp.

Do I think Willis is overrated? Yes. But I still think he is a good NFL caliber back and we have waaaaaaaaay to many other issues on the offensive side of the ball to worry about Willie at this point in time.

840622[/snapback]

How much longer do we have before we have to worry about resigning him? That isn't going to be pretty.. remember, his agent is Rosenhaus. I say, let 'em walk when the time comes.

How much longer do we have before we have to worry about resigning him? That isn't going to be pretty.. remember, his agent is Rosenhaus. I say, let 'em walk when the time comes.

840628[/snapback]

Yea, let him walk so another team could waste a huge contract on a sub-par running back. mwuahahahaha :D

Overrated? Absolutely..  Every time I see WM take a handoff.. I'm reminded more and more of Eddie George and Eric Dickerson.. mind you, not the young versions of these RB's, but the aging, dance behind the line, run upright, won't hit the line hard versions.

As far as what we could get for him.. Probably not as much as most people would think.. I think you get a late 2nd for him as best. Teams are learning more and more that a premier RB is not a neccesity in todays NFL.. you can be just as successful with a couple of so-so RB's behind a strong O'line. Teams that spend on RB's first, are nuts. (Read: Cardinals, Raiders)

Personally, I thought we cut the best RB we had in Training Camp.

840627[/snapback]

Yes, Lionel Gates looked good. Ran hard and low with good quickness. Must have been something the coaches didn't like that caused them to keep Shaud Williams.

840628[/snapback]

Yes, if the forecast is that he leaves as a free agent after '07 then the Bills need to groom a replacement next year. Otherwise you're counting on the following year draft or free agency. RB not a good place to have a question mark.

I wouldn't go as far as to say he's overrated. I watch a lot of the best RBs in the league like Tomlinson and Barber, and they have great offensive lines. Then I watch Willis McGahee run the ball and as soon as he gets it he's swarmed. It also doesn't help that Losman has struggled over the last 2 seasons and defenses have been able to stack the box. If the Losman develops into a decent quarterback and the team can turn around the offensive line, then Willis will be under a lot of pressure to get the job done because if he doesn't, then he will be overrated.

I'm not saying he isn't overrated, but I'm not saying he is overrated. There's still a lot that is yet to be seen.

i would trade him if the a train shows us the rest of the season he is the real deal........i just dont trust willis.i know he has talent but all you hear is he is gonna really cost us big when its time for his new contract.

840641[/snapback]

That's why we will pound the crap out of him for one more season and let him walk, he has to run hard for his next contract no matter who would sign him and I hope it isn't with the Bills.....Marv will draft another young back when the time comes and the right player is available. Next summer might be a good time to sell those willis jersey's on ebay.

He is no Thurman Thomas!!

Do I think Willis is overrated? Yes. But I still think he is a good NFL caliber back and we have waaaaaaaaay to many other issues on the offensive side of the ball to worry about Willie at this point in time.

840622[/snapback]

But can't he be used as trade fodder to help upgrade AT LEAST one other position??

Overrated in what sense? That he hasn't lived up to a often misquote when he said he feels he's the best? Sure ok. Overrated in that sense that he isn't a good rb. Nope not overrated. How about we keep him and atrain and use them as a tandem. In todays nfl it's a proven fact you need 2 good rbs to be a sucessful running team, and Willis and Atrain would make a pretty good tandem. We also lack a passing offense and an offensive line to help the run game. So no I wouldn't trade him cause odds are as I showed in another post most starting rb's are 1st or 2nd rd picks, and we have much bigger needs in the trenches then looking for another rb. So I'd look to improve the lines while using willis/thomas as a 1-2 combo like other teams do.

Willis has not played to his potential. I don't think this makes him overrated, because I think he can explode at any time. He has been disappointing at times this season, but with the line we have and the lack of passing game, his job hasn't been easy, and he has taken the ball over and over and run hard. I think if the team gets better he could be a huge piece, and I wouldn't discard him now for a draft pick without seeing more from A-Train and having a backup plan.

The last thing I want to do at this point is having to worry about RB during the draft or free agency. If A-Train is not viewed as a big drop off after a few more games and we think Willis will leave or cost too much when the contract is up, I'd consider trading him to get something back, but NOT because Willis is overrated. I'd rather he has his first 1800+ yard rushing season for us, and not watch him do it for someone else.

Show me who is?  I think it's a little out of line to compare him to a sure fire future hof, and one of the best rb's of all time.  Very few rb's are Thurman Thomas type good. Way to go out on a limb there.  I suppouse he's no Barry Sanders as well :lol:

840775[/snapback]

The point was, we'll be looking for a guy that can bring those sort of intangibles to the table and willis just doesn't have them. He doesn't have to be a HOF but the next guy needs to have more of what thurman had, the intangibles...... :lol:

Willis has not played to his potential.  I don't think this makes him overrated, because I think he can explode at any time.  He has been disappointing at times this season, but with the line we have and the lack of passing game, his job hasn't been easy, and he has taken the ball over and over and run hard.  I think if the team gets better he could be a huge piece, and I wouldn't discard him now for a draft pick without seeing more from A-Train and having a backup plan.

The last thing I want to do at this point is having to worry about RB during the draft or free agency.  If A-Train is not viewed as a big drop off after a few more games and we think Willis will leave or cost too much when the contract is up, I'd consider trading him to get something back, but NOT because Willis is overrated.  I'd rather he has his first 1800+ yard rushing season for us, and not watch him do it for someone else.

840773[/snapback]

Nothing personal but that guy will never have an 1800 yard season......he'd be luck to crack 1600.

I really have no idea what I think should happen now. Why don't we just use what most team are doing now. Have a 2 rb system. Both Thomas and McGahee are good running backs, however that being said it would be interesting to see what we could get for Willis if we traded him. Maybe a higher 1st round pick?