30 carries for A-Train?

Simon

While AThomas had 28 carries last week (a total Willis has only gotten once this year) I don't think it was an aberration. The Texan offense isn't as scary as teh Colts in that you want to gameplan with your own offense to limit its possessions, but like the Colts the Houston defense is giving up over 4 1/2 yards/carry so expect more of the same gameplan against the Texans.

One of the reasons we're seeing this and can expect to see more of it is because you can bet that the Bills staff doesn't have the same confidence in Thomas as a blocker that they've developed with McGahee. This is particularly obvious when you consider the multitiude of 3rd down draws teh Bills ran last weekend; this wasn't a function of not trusting Losman to protect teh ball, it was a function of not wanting to see him get killed while they're trying to learn everything they can about him. Shaud Williams is also a more willing pass protector than Thomas and is more effective in space so I wouldn't be surprised to see teh Bills use him a lot more on 3rddown in the next few weeks. Of course I also wouldn't be surprised to see this sometimes detached staff make one of their best ST's players inactive yet again.

Should be a phenomonally boring game on Sunday (hell I'm opting to go watch the battle for the AFCCentral basement instead) but things look a little more spicy once the boys get past this dog of a matchup. Maybe next weekend the Bills will even make a concerted effort to get JP outside the hashes (i.e. away from the Henderstroud monster) and provide a little excitement for the home crowd in a surprisingly winnable game.

Cya

(hell I'm opting to go watch the battle for the AFCCentral basement instead)

839734[/snapback]

I simply can never, ever understand how guys like you and Blinker can spend so much time on a Buffalo Bills message board digesting and discussing all the things the team is doing or not doing, but then only watch the team play when you think the game will be exciting or winnable. How can anyone...anyone at all...spend time discussing what they think the Bills will or won't do in a game when they won't even take the time to watch the game.

Unless you were being sarcastic, in which case you really suck at being sarcastic.

I suspect this "dog of a matchup" will be the one where JP is turned loose. The Indy game was played to win, and it was a less than exciting game plan and one where we learned that JP knows enough not to turn over the ball, but not much else. I don't think winning means all that much now, and I think it might just be time to see what JP can do. I'm hopeful it will be well worth watching, because I've got a hunch JP does have what it takes to make it in this league and I've been waiting for him to get into a situation where he might make a difference. Hopefully he will get at least SOME time to set up and will be given the green light to run when he doesn't get the time.

While AThomas had 28 carries last week (a total Willis has only gotten once this year) I don't think it was an aberration.    On a side note, i've finally realized just how much Mike Mularkey has set this team back.  He was a poor choice for head coach and lacks the feel for the game to be a good coordinator.

839734[/snapback]

I'm glad you're finally coming around...

I simply can never, ever understand how guys like you and Blinker can spend so much time on a Buffalo Bills message board digesting and discussing all the things the team is doing or not doing, but then only watch the team play when you think the game will be exciting or winnable.

1) You'll notice that this year has been by far the highest ratio of off-topic to football-related posts I've ever had.

2) I watch them every week; well at least for about a quarter or two. Then I usually take advantage of Sunday Ticket and watch some other good games.

3) Why would I want to sit home by myself and watch Buffalo/Houston when instead I can take a road trip with my buddies to enjoy the spectacle of a Stillers/Browns brawl?

On a side note, i've finally realized just how much Mike Mularkey has set this team back.  He was a poor choice for head coach and lacks the feel for the game to be a good coordinator.....

I'm glad you're finally coming around...

I'm not sure I get the relevance of the gag. But for what it's worth the Bills have become one of the very worst coached teams in the entire NFL and Jauron and his staff have proven to be a huge downgrade from what we'd seen in Buffalo the previous two seasons.

I'm not sure I get the relevance of the gag. But for what it's worth the Bills have become one of the very worst coached teams in the entire NFL and Jauron and his staff have proven to be a huge downgrade from what we'd seen in Buffalo the previous two seasons.

839865[/snapback]

But how can you say that fairly watching only one quarter of each game?

839865[/snapback]

Just bustin on ya for some of the debates on Mularkey in the past. I do agree that the Bills have taken conservative to new heights in recent weeks and have not attacked the game to win, rather to have their opponents lose it.

But how can you say that fairly watching only one quarter of each game?

839867[/snapback]

Where did I say I watch one quarter of each game? I said watched them every week for at least a quarter or two.

I watched almost every snap for about the first month then I gradually started flipping back/forth to/from other games as the season progressed becuase the Bills are so inept and disorganized that it's actually painful to watch. Each week there usually seems to be about 11:40 left in the first quarter the first time I say "Holy !@#$, will somebody put a tent on this circus". While I usually spend the second half focused on better football, I still frequently go back to whatever channel the Bills are on that week. And while I don't watch them closely enough to be able to comment accurately on OLine play or be insightful regarding defensive tendencies, it only takes a cursory viewing each week to recognize just how horribly coached this squad is.

Just bustin on ya for some of the debates on Mularkey in the past.  I do agree that the Bills have taken conservative to new heights in recent weeks and have not attacked the game to win, rather to have their opponents lose it.

839869[/snapback]

Re: Mularkey

Do you realize he's stuck with Joey Harrington and arguably the worst OLine this side of the Raiders and he's still managed to call the phish offense to #6 in the AFC?

While AThomas had 28 carries last week (a total Willis has only gotten once this year) I don't think it was an aberration.

839734[/snapback]

The magic number is 41 carries in total. That is the average number of rushing attempts that the Marv Levy led Kansas City Chiefs had in his initial, will-breaking, 4-12 season. Only a lack of first downs is keeping Jauron and company from the boss' mark.

Welcome to 1978, Bills fan.