JP - Maybe a bust, time will tell...

AnthonyF

There is the crux.... How long did people argue how good RJ would be with a O-Line? We'd be sorry to see him go.... Greg Williams watched 100's of hours of tape and made the right decision getting rid of the "midget".

Then we heard the same about Drew Bledsoe and Dallas would appreciate him and you'd see how he was a victim of our lousy O-line....

Well JP may be just as bad as those 2, maybe worse... but not letting him move in the pocket, run some shotgun and throwing only 13 times a game is going to show us nothing!!!!

Well JP may be just as bad as those 2, maybe worse...  but not letting him move in the pocket, run some shotgun and throwing only 13 times a game is going to show us nothing!!!!

838563[/snapback]

The biggest thing to set this team back was when JP broke his leg his rookie year in 2004. We started 0-4. At the mid point when we were 3-6, I'm pretty sure JP would have been given a chance to step in and play if he had been healthy and able to practice that year. Drew wasn't playing that great but with a strong D we rallied to finish 9-7 and just miss the playoffs. Even if we didn't finish strong with a rookie QB, I'd much rather have him go through the learning curves the last half that season and then when he was made the starter the next season it wouldn't have been as many questions about showing Drew the door. At least by now we would have a better feel for where he is at as a QB.

I feel for the kid. This is the first 1st rd QB we have had since Kelly. On the real, a lot of Bills fans have been quick to turn on QB's. But the past 7 losing seasons have made it even worse and most don't have the patience to wait on a young QB to develop. I mean if most can turn on a young QB who missed most of his rookie season with a broke leg and has started only 17 games split over 2 years and coaching staff and while he is far from a polished product treat him like he is the worse QB in the league is just crazy.

The biggest thing to set this team back was when JP broke his leg his rookie year in 2004. We started 0-4. At the mid  point when we were 3-6, I'm pretty sure JP would have been given a chance to step in and play if he had been healthy and able to practice that year. Drew wasn't playing that great but with a strong D we rallied to finish 9-7 and just miss the playoffs. Even if we didn't finish strong with a rookie QB, I'd much rather have him go through the learning curves the last half that season and then when he was made the starter the next season it wouldn't have been as many questions about showing Drew the door. At least by now we would have a better feel for where he is at as a QB.

I feel for the kid. This is the first 1st rd QB we have had since Kelly. On the real, a lot of Bills fans have been quick to turn on QB's. But the past 7 losing seasons have made it even worse and most don't have the patience to wait on a young QB to develop. I mean if most can turn on a young QB who missed most of his rookie season with a broke leg and has started only 17 games split over 2 years and coaching staff and while he is far from a polished product treat him like he is the worse QB in the league is just crazy.

838577[/snapback]

Point is we are learning nothing about JP at this point. The offensive schemes have been pathetic and we are upset that he is completing 60% of his passes. I am not defending him as I've also seen some terrible game management and a lack of leadership. However the past 2 weeks the game plan has been so pathetic as to make the team almost unwatchable...

I actually think the Mularkey regime did a better job of trying to develop JP. They did not rein him in this much. As much as Jauron and Fairchild want to make him a pocket passer...he's not. This kid cannot stand in the pocket and read a defense and make quick decisions. He needs to be running around, buying time and hopefully finding the open guy streaking down the field or doing a sideline pattern....whatever.

Point is we are learning nothing about JP at this point.  The offensive schemes have been pathetic and we are upset that he is completing 60% of his passes.  I am not defending him as I've also seen some terrible game management and a lack of leadership.  However the past 2 weeks the game plan has been so pathetic as to make the team almost unwatchable...

838579[/snapback]

The blocking the past 2 weeks has been horrendous. That is why the playcalling has been so conservative. At least the first 7 games half of the sackes were ones in which JP held the ball too long; now he barely has time to setup! I think a lot of that has been attributed to CV trying to play on a bad ankle as a lot of the pressure has been coming up the middle so JP has no pocket to step into. Now that CV has gotten hurt and is hopefully out for the season maybe Preston, Reyes, or Merz will be an upgrade at RG. If we can even get back to the pass protection we had earlier in the season I would like to see them open up the playbook a little more.

The blocking the past 2 weeks has been horrendous. That is why the playcalling has been so conservative. At least the first 7 games half of the sackes were ones in which JP held the ball too long; now he barely has time to setup! I think a lot of that has been attributed to CV trying to play on a bad ankle as a lot of the pressure has been coming up the middle so JP has no pocket to step into. Now that CV has gotten hurt and is hopefully out for the season maybe Preston, Reyes, or Merz will be an upgrade at RG. If we can even get back to the pass protection we had earlier in the season I would like to see them open up the playbook a little more.

838678[/snapback]

good post, but as far as i can tell, preston absolutely sucks.

Point is we are learning nothing about JP at this point.  The offensive schemes have been pathetic and we are upset that he is completing 60% of his passes.  I am not defending him as I've also seen some terrible game management and a lack of leadership.  However the past 2 weeks the game plan has been so pathetic as to make the team almost unwatchable...

838579[/snapback]

I don't see how you can watch the games on TV and pretend you have any idea about whether or not JP is a leader. The fact that he doesn't air out his dirty laundry in public by yelling at linemen and receivers doesn't mean anything. What's he like in the huddle? On the sideline? In the locker room? I don't know, but more importantly you don't know either.

I actually think the Mularkey regime did a better job of trying to develop JP.  They did not rein him in this much.  As much as Jauron and Fairchild want to make him a pocket passer...he's not.  This kid cannot stand in the pocket and read a defense and make quick decisions.  He needs to be running around, buying time and hopefully finding the open guy streaking down the field or doing a sideline pattern....whatever.

838586[/snapback]

I disagree with this. I think they've been pretty clear all along that having him stay in the pocket is going to groove him to read defensives more effectively and not resort to running on EVERY snap. I don't think this year is truly about winning to be honest. I think that winning in 2006 has always taken a back seat to learning and I"m fine with that...for now.

Expect a spring 2007 OVERHAUL with ATLEAST as many personell changes as last year.

I don't see how you can watch the games on TV and pretend you have any idea about whether or not JP is a leader. The fact that he doesn't air out his dirty laundry in public by yelling at linemen and receivers doesn't mean anything. What's he like in the huddle? On the sideline? In the locker room? I don't know, but more importantly you don't know either.

839340[/snapback]

I'm talking leadership on the sidelines when they are not on the field and how he has handled situations like the Jets game when they recovered the onside kick and they looked lost....

He has not looked confident or seemed to exhibit any presence.

A leader gathers his team and does not looked panicked.

I hope I am wrong, because if he is not the QB and I would want Quinn drafted, I doubt it... The idea of another Bledsoe or RJ makes me shudder. Flutie was a fluke, probably signed only to appease the Southern Ontario fan base and then we screwed that up as well.

I disagree with this. I think they've been pretty clear all along that having him stay in the pocket is going to groove him to read defensives more effectively and not resort to running on EVERY snap. I don't think this year is truly about winning to be honest. I think that winning in 2006 has always taken a back seat to learning and I"m fine with that...for now.

Expect a spring 2007 OVERHAUL with ATLEAST as many personell changes as last year.

I agree. When you need to run the table to be in the playoffs, it's all about growth. I like the attitude of this team and the confidence they have despite their record.

I disagree with this.  I think they've been pretty clear all along that having him stay in the pocket is going to groove him to read defensives more effectively and not resort to running on EVERY snap.  I don't think this year is truly about winning to be honest.  I think that winning in 2006 has always taken a back seat to learning and I"m fine with that...for now. 

839351[/snapback]

I'm fine with learning now for also. But as a learning curve the Gods in Buffalo need to let him move around a little bit and let him throw more to learn from his mistakes. 13 passes does not justify if he is good or bad. Did he not complete 9 of those 13? I think the fear is protecting him by handing off and letting the backs take the punishment and not him. I personally would like to see more.

I'm fine with learning now for also. But as a learning curve the Gods in Buffalo need to let him move around a little bit and let him throw more to learn from his mistakes. 13 passes does not justify if he is good or bad. Did he not complete 9 of those 13? I think the fear is protecting him by handing off and letting the backs take the punishment and not him. I personally would like to see more.

839414[/snapback]

Stoopid math says if he threw the leauge average 33 times (last 2 weeks) he would have been 23/33 for 211 yards and no turnovers and we'd be pretty happy with those #'s. Let's ignore the sacks, since they were all blind side and the o-lines fault.

Point is we are going no where and learning nothing on 13 passes....

There is the crux.... How long did people argue how good RJ would be with a O-Line?  We'd be sorry to see him go....  Greg Williams watched 100's of hours of tape and made the right decision getting rid of the "midget".

Then we heard the same about Drew Bledsoe and Dallas would appreciate him and you'd see how he was a victim of our lousy O-line....

Well JP may be just as bad as those 2, maybe worse...  but not letting him move in the pocket, run some shotgun and throwing only 13 times a game is going to show us nothing!!!!

838563[/snapback]

Maybe we should finally realize that it doest really matter who we have as a QB if where not going to bother with the line, we need to build a solid foundation up front then bring in a QB

Maybe we should finally realize that it doest really matter who we have as a QB if where not going to bother with the line, we need to build a solid foundation up front then bring in a QB

839445[/snapback]

Great.... How long will that take????