Anyone with ESPN insider

TheMadCap

article from the NHL page? I actually wrote in on that as well. The nerve, placing the Sabre below the Ducks. Bah!

838344[/snapback]

Here's what I could find related to what you were saying:

posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2006  |  Feedback  |  Print Entry

filed under: NHL

It is remarkable to me that you spend so much time fawning over the Ducks while putting the Sabres at No. 2. You are correct, Buffalo HAS played two fewer games than Anaheim, and yet they are a mere point behind your darling Ducks. And, incidentally, your own stats indicate that the Sabres have tallied 11 more goals in that span, but why dwell on the details? The Ducks have 4 OTLs to Buffalo's 1 ... Your pick is utter nonsense, but we Buffalo fans are used to the lack of respect.

-- Pete (Bloomington, IN)

I would just like to point out that you accidentally placed Buffalo below Anaheim on your ranking. You note that Buffalo "might be slowing down" as a result of their need to go to overtime against the Panthers and Flyers, and yet neglect to mention that in those games they were missing not only their top scorer (Afinogenov), but their top two defensemen (Tallinder and Lydman) AND starting goalie (Miller). Please try and convince me that if you took away just Pronger and Scott Niedermayer, Anaheim would not be the lamest Duck in the NHL. Lastly, I would just like to note that Anaheim has dropped four games in OT and shootouts. Good teams find a way to win games, and Buffalo has proven time and time again that they can do this, whatever the situation.

-- steve dray (buffalo)

there once was a team from B-lo much faster than others could go They win lots of games their opponents are wrecked they have the most goals but they got no respect!

-- Alex|Buffalo

Morons. S---heads. Crackheads. Poster children for mediocrity. You called us all of it this week after our latest Power Rankings hit cyberspace on Monday.

We haven't lost our resolve. We haven't lost respect for any NHL team, including the Sabres. We haven't smoked crack. We haven't claimed that our formula is perfect. We haven't completely given up hope that next summer's "Transformers" movie will be a hit.

We do have some more stats for you to maybe help illustrate why we believe the Ducks are slightly the more balanced team right now.

• Yes, the Sabres are still winning despite some key injuries. But can we really hold it against the Ducks that they're a healthy squad? The Sabres are No. 2. We didn't think that was bad.

• The Ducks are winning with balanced scoring. Heading into Wednesday night's games, Anaheim is tied for the lead in scoring (60 goals) amongst Western Conference teams despite not having one player in the top 40 in scoring. Teemu Selanne is in a tie for 41st in scoring with 16 points.

• We know where you're going -- but the Sabres lead the league in goals with 76 goals. Well, they also haven't played a top defensive team. Based on goals allowed, Buffalo has had only one opponent ranked within the top 10 (10th-ranked Montreal, who the Sabres beat twice this season). Eight of the top 10 teams are in the Western Conference, including third-ranked Anaheim (2.06). The Ducks have played against all of those West teams and lost just one of those games (vs. Calgary) in regulation.

Again, we'll see how things fare over the next week, but right now, we're sticking to our guns that the Ducks are the slightly better team.

I have to say, your comment this week about the Blues' fans not showing up even if the team puts together a winning streak was completely unfair and insulting to St. Louis fans. They're an original expansion team that's enjoyed a huge fan base in the area for years, and to act as if all those fans just dropped off the planet after the lockout is ignorant.

-- Ted (Chicago)

The arena capacity for Scottrade Center: 19,022.

Attendance for games so far this season:

• Home opener vs. Boston: 17,213

• Oct. 14 vs. Chicago: 11,606

• Oct. 17 vs. Phoenix: 8,531

• Oct. 20 vs. Vancouver: 9,049

• Oct. 28 vs. Detroit: 12,700

• Oct. 30 vs. Anaheim: 8,629

• Nov. 2 vs. Colorado: 9,467

• Nov. 4 vs. Calgary: 12,097

• Nov. 9 vs. Columbus: 9,631

• Nov. 12 vs. Edmonton: 9,214

I agree with most placements, there were some tough calls. My only issue (and I know you mentioned this is Nashville's comments) is Nashville ahead of Detroit. After watching that game, I think it's clear that Detroit is the better team right now, and I think they deserve that respect. Nashville wasn't even close in that game.

-- Ryan Birdsall

I'm surprised you ranked Nashville ahead of Detroit. Detroit handled them quite well in their meeting last week. (And I'm not a Detroit fan.)

-- AA Toronto

Given the Red Wings' slow start, they're making up some ground. If they stay on the same track, there could be more movement next week.

About Montreal: They are 2-2-2 on Saturday nights while going 7-2-1 on week days. Hockey night in Canada should change its schedule!

-- Charles Therrien (Quebec)

Someone needs to tell MacLean and Cherry about this!

And finally, we leave you with our weekly Flyers fan rant, because there have been a lot of them:

I am a die-hard flyers fan and I'm shocked with you putting my boys at 30th. They are like 35th or 36th.

-- Matt(Philly)

I like his comment on how the Ducks are balanced in scoring, well the Sabres have 3 guys with 10+ goals, 6 with 10+ assists, and a full FIVE guys ahead of Selanne, who is the leader of the Ducks "balanced" attack. How is having ONE guy in the top 40 more balanced than FIVE??

Let alone the 7 players in the top 25 in plus/minus? That's balanced all-around team play right there.

And "let's not hold it against the Ducks for being healthy" but the let's hold it against the Sabres for "not playing any top defensive teams". Nice double talk.

We know where you're going -- but the Sabres lead the league in goals with 76 goals. Well, they also haven't played a top defensive team. Based on goals allowed, Buffalo has had only one opponent ranked within the top 10 (10th-ranked Montreal, who the Sabres beat twice this season). Eight of the top 10 teams are in the Western Conference, including third-ranked Anaheim (2.06). The Ducks have played against all of those West teams and lost just one of those games (vs. Calgary) in regulation.

What a crock. Western division teams don't have as many goals against because there's a big imbalance in scoring talent between the east and the west--all the scoring stars are in the east:

NHL points leaders

Wow, he'll sure be eating crow now.  :lol:

Why fans get all defensive over these rankings is beyond me.

838644[/snapback]

I say it every time people B word about these things. Until they start using power rankings to seed for the playoffs, they're completely pointless and I won't care about them. Actually, even if they did use them for playoff seedings, we'd still get our #1 spot.

• We know where you're going -- but the Sabres lead the league in goals with 76 goals. Well, they also haven't played a top defensive team. Based on goals allowed, Buffalo has had only one opponent ranked within the top 10 (10th-ranked Montreal, who the Sabres beat twice this season). Eight of the top 10 teams are in the Western Conference, including third-ranked Anaheim (2.06). The Ducks have played against all of those West teams and lost just one of those games (vs. Calgary) in regulation

Did it cross anyone's mind that the reason none of the teams the Sabres have played are in the top 10, is because those teams have had to play against the Sabres and get a ton of goals scored on them?

Or is that to confusing for those simpletons at ESPN?