DicK Jauron's Mind Set.... First Drive

AnthonyF

Wow, we got it past the 30 yard line.... Let's run the ball... 3 yards, boy we are controlling the line, let's do it again.... 2 yards, damn we got to pass, but at least JP can't be sacked for a safety at the 40 yard line, can he? He completed a pass and had protection! Let's throw caution to the wind and try it again... Pass interference, 2 friggin first downs.... 13 yard run, now Indy must be getting tired let's keep running.... damn holding, who cares let's keep running.... 9 and 4 yards, 3rd and 4, I guess we got to pass.... Hope Indy doesn't guess pass on 3rd down... Another completion.... Let's keep running time off the clock, maybe we can hold the ball for 60 minutes and win 3-0... Back to the run, no yards, better try that again.... Botched handoff now we are at the 34 yard line, that would be a 52 yard feild goal on 4th down. If we miss then Indy will have a real short field, so I guess I can call a pass, good things can happen, maybe a completion, but if JP get's sacked Moorman can punt and if JP throws an int to the 10 yard line it is as good as a punt. Wow a 24 yard completion to the 10 yard line!!!! Can't chance it any longer, let's run it into the line and settle for the 3 points.....

And you wonder why they are going no where....

Wow, we got it past the 30 yard line....  Let's run the ball... 3 yards, boy we are controlling the line, let's do it again.... 2 yards, damn we got to pass, but at least JP can't be sacked for a safety at the 40 yard line, can he?  He completed a pass and had protection!  Let's throw caution to the wind and try it again...  Pass interference, 2 friggin first downs.... 13 yard run, now Indy must be getting tired let's keep running.... damn holding, who cares let's keep running.... 9 and 4 yards, 3rd and 4, I guess we got to pass....  Hope Indy doesn't guess pass on 3rd down...  Another completion....  Let's keep running time off the clock, maybe we can hold the ball for 60 minutes and win 3-0...  Back to the run, no yards, better try that again.... Botched handoff now we are at the 34 yard line, that would be a 52 yard feild goal on 4th down.  If we miss then Indy will have a real short field, so I guess I can call a pass, good things can happen, maybe a completion, but if JP get's sacked Moorman can punt and if JP throws an int to the 10 yard line it is as good as a punt.  Wow a 24 yard completion to the 10 yard line!!!!  Can't chance it any longer, let's run it into the line and settle for the 3 points.....

And you wonder why they are going no where....

838072[/snapback]

Why do none of those calls seem bad to me? :lol:

say what you want...but the coaching staff's game plan was good enough to win. 41 yard field goals should be made.

you can say that the offense couldn't put the ball in the endzone, but it didn't need to. The gameplan was play conservative and put the pressure on the colts. this worked. as long as we didn't give up the big play on offense or defense, we were in the game. Jauron could have called some plays and taken some chances, but why? Why risk it, when all we had to do was kick a 41 yard field goal to go ahead? I guess hindsight is 20-20 and we all know that it wasn't enough in the end, but had we made that kick, this coaching staff would be looked at as genius.

Ssound pretty good to me as well.  If we had kept it up all game we'd have won.

838080[/snapback]

That's the whole point about playing well between the 30 yard lines, and be scared to throw... Once in the redzone he gives up or deep in his territory he doesn't know what to do or refuses to do anything at all innovative.

How come, ignoring the fact that DJ only allowed JP to throw in difficult situations (third & long), did we abandon what worked or try anything new?

say what you want...but the coaching staff's game plan was good enough to win.  41 yard field goals should be made.

you can say that the offense couldn't put the ball in the endzone, but it didn't need to.  The gameplan was play conservative and put the pressure on the colts.  this worked.  as long as we didn't give up the big play on offense or defense, we were in the game.  Jauron could have called some plays and taken some chances, but why?  Why risk it, when all we had to do was kick a 41 yard field goal to go ahead?  I guess hindsight is 20-20 and we all know that it wasn't enough in the end, but had we made that kick, this coaching staff would be looked at as genius.

838082[/snapback]

THERE IS A 0.00% CHANCE A 19-17 LEAD HOLDS UP WITH 6 MINUTES LEFT; WHY IS THIS SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND?

THERE IS A 0.00% CHANCE A 19-17 LEAD HOLDS UP WITH 6 MINUTES LEFT; WHY IS THIS SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND?

838122[/snapback]

But maybe if we tried to score 1 td in the redzone, as opposed to hoping we'd by some stroke of luck we could run it in...

Point was on the missed fg vs. Indy we should have been thinking we need a TD & 2 point convert (go up by 7), and then Indy would feel some pressure.

DJ mind though, was we get a fg and pray we get another fumble or Adam Vineterri misses a fg or Manning throws an int....

What makes it even more absurd is there were 6 minutes left and Indy had 3 timeouts.

But maybe if we tried to score 1 td in the redzone, as opposed to hoping we'd by some stroke of luck we could run it in...

Point was on the missed fg vs. Indy we should have been thinking we need a TD & 2 point convert (go up by 7), and then Indy would feel some pressure.

DJ mind though, was we get a fg and pray we get another fumble or Adam Vineterri  misses a fg or Manning throws an int.... 

What makes it even more absurd is there were 6 minutes left and Indy had 3 timeouts.

838150[/snapback]

The bottom line is there was no way we were going to win against the Colts even if we scored 3 tds. Manning just would have scored more. That said, I agree with you. Bills play not to lose. Ultra conservative. Predictable as hell. Thats part of the reason JP has it so bad. Like you I was pissed off at the play calling when we were first down at their 12.

DJ mind though, was we get a fg and pray we get another fumble or Adam Vineterri  misses a fg or Manning throws an int.... 

838150[/snapback]

I totally agree - your original post says it all - two 3rd down completions set up the first score, not 3rd down draw plays. Of course that doesn't stop people from making just plain false generalizations as to why the game was close.

17-16 and I hated every minute of the game. The defense played well, bend but don't break mentality and the offensive game plan seemed to only be "please don't let us fumble it" and maybe we get luck and can eat up 3-4 minutes....

I was hoping Indy would go uyp by 10 and we'd at least be forced to try something.

I really think the team bet the under on Sunday..... Better check the Vegas books for any big bets coming out of Buffalo... :lol:

838122[/snapback]

how can you say this? our defense was causing turnovers and shutting down manning. 0%? that's a little ridiculous.

we need positive thinkers here, men.

I can't believe some of the ideas being thrown around here. C'mon people, this team sucks... sucks BIGTIME, yet they nearly pulled one of the biggest upsets in franchise history against a far superior team IN THEIR STADIUM. Coaching definitely had something to do with it. The gameplan wasn't perfect but it was pretty close to it considering the circumstances.

- Using an extra corner and subbing out Spikes during obvious passing downs

- Allowing Clements to shadow Harrison the entire game

- Running the ball and maintaining a time of possession edge to keep the ball out of Manning's hands

- Keeping a conservative gameplan to minimize the chance for turnovers. If that means running the ball on 3rd and long, so be it.

The Bills learned from Bellechick's mistakes from one week prior. Bellechick decided to attack their secondary -- and look what happened. Tom Brady, the best (or second best) QB in the league, threw 4 INTs. How do you think JP would have fared with that gameplan? :lol:

17-16 and I hated every minute of the game.  The defense played well, bend but don't break mentality and the offensive game plan seemed to only be "please don't let us fumble it" and maybe we get luck and can eat up 3-4 minutes....

I was hoping Indy would go uyp by 10 and we'd at least be forced to try something.

I really think the team bet the under on Sunday..... Better check the Vegas books for any big bets coming out of Buffalo... :P

838181[/snapback]

Arguing the gamelan is dumbfounding to me. The Colts are built to get leads quick, and when they do they have a defense built to stop the pass and force more turnovers. They have one of the fastest pass rushes in football. So what do people want? They want us to play exactly into what the Colts do well. All this after this very game plan kept us in the game until the very end, against an undefeated team on the road. If we did anything else then what we did it would have been a Bears like massacre. Please leave the game planning for the professionals.

Arguing the gamelan is dumbfounding to me. The Colts are built to get leads quick, and when they do they have a defense built to stop the pass and force more turnovers. They have one of the fastest pass rushes in football. So what do people want? They want us to play exactly into what the Colts do well. All this after this very game plan kept us in the game until the very end, against an undefeated team on the road. If we did anything else then what we did it would have been a Bears like massacre. Please leave the game planning for the professionals.

838547[/snapback]

Everything we did right the first drive was thrown out the window when we reached the 10 yard line. The offence, which showed it could move the ball and complete passes (first drive), gave up everytime we reached the redzone. Heck we even ran a fake punt and then in their territory gave up running on third and 4 and then punting from the Indy 40. :lol:

Give the defence some credit... They gave up huge yards, but kept everything in front of them. However they allowed Indy to without breaking a sweat hold the ball the last 6:22. We were never ahead after 3-0. Got a lucky break on the McGee fumble return (bouncing perfectly into his hands and returned for a TD). As soon as we tied the game, they marched right down and scored. We made 2 defensive stops the second half and did force the fumble, but made little attempt to win...You are not beating Indy scoring 6 offensive points.

Indy scored only 14 points vs Tennessee and had very little offence vs. Jacksonville. They are still not clicking on all cylinders.

It was as frustrating and embarrassing (on the offensive side) game as I've ever watched.

838122[/snapback]

Stop it , I can't take it anymore, the comedy must stop :lol:

How do you know what would have happened on the Kick Off Return if he makes the field goal..

You were one of those guy that was heading for the exit just before smerlas blocked that field goal against the Jets in the rain in '88 weren't you?

I sure wish he'd made the kick, then we would have really known the truth...... :P