Villarrial out for this weeks game

jdubs

Hopefully a blessing in disguise.

838057[/snapback]

There is no "hope" about it imo. CV is old, banged up and finished.

The worst case scenario is that his replacement also sucks. In that case, we will be sure that help is still needed. How bad is that?

I want to see more of Merz. I noticed that while he was in, he was fighting his ass off to compete. The only way we will ever find out if he is any good is by watching him play.

Btw, I think CV was under contract for 07. Say hello to even more cap dollars, perhaps a lot. Imagine replacing CV on the roster with Steinbach? :lol:

There is no "hope" about it imo. CV is old, banged up and finished.

The worst case scenario is that his replacement also sucks. In that case, we will be sure that help is still needed. How bad is that?

I want to see more of Merz. I noticed that while he was in, he was fighting his ass off to compete. The only way we will ever find out if he is any good is by watching him play.

Where/when did he play?

Btw, I think CV was under contract for 07. Say hello to even more cap dollars, perhaps a lot. Imagine replacing CV on the roster with Steinbach?  :lol:

Near as I can tell, the Bills save just $300K by releasing Villarrial after the season. :P So they'll be just $33.3M under the cap. :D

Where/when did he play?

Near as I can tell, the Bills save just $300K by releasing Villarrial after the season.  :D  So they'll be just $33.3M under the cap. :lol:

838332[/snapback]

Will any other NFL team looking for OL help have money under their cap to spend?

Where/when did he play?

838332[/snapback]

He played in the NE game at RWS. I was watching him. After the game, R.Rich told me that he put forth the best effort that day. He was going against Seymour and while he did get destroyed on a few plays, he held his own to some degree, and the effort was there.

As for the CV cap savings, that sounds low. I'm not doubting you, but I hope that Clumpy chimes in. CV makes a ton of money, and this is his 3rd year into his contract, no?

He played in the NE game at RWS. I was watching him. After the game, R.Rich told me that he put forth the best effort that day. He was going against Seymour and while he did get destroyed on a few plays, he held his own to some degree, and the effort was there.

As for the CV cap savings, that sounds low. I'm not doubting you, but I hope that Clumpy chimes in. CV makes a ton of money, and this is his 3rd year into his contract, no?

Woops, off by a bit because I misread it. His base salary for next year is $1.45M (the same as this year) and his amortized SB is almost $719K. So the cap savings is a bit over $700K.

As for Merz, I heard he held his own in the Pats game and would like to see him at LG because Gandy is likely gone. I'd also like to see Reyes at RG. He's got experience that Preston lacks. It just doesn't make sense why he isn't the starter.

Looking at this further, Reyes started-off his first 4 games in 2004 (his second year) in Carolina at LG. He got hurt and when he returned, they put him at RG and kept him there for the next 24 games. Now since the Panthers have had a good O-line for years, I'd trust their OL evaluation skills (sorry McNally!) and say that Reyes would be best-served at RG and SHOULD be the starter at RG now. He's got more experience, if not more talent, than Preston, and at the least experience is what you want/need with a rookie like Pennington starting at RT.

At LG, I'd be fine with Merz, again because Gandy is probably gone and proving not to be so great at LG. With the season essentially being over and JP getting the greenlight to move around, now's the time to start experimenting on the O-line.