Mike Gandy = turnstile

PromoTheRobot

If you want a perfect example of the clusterf**k our O-line has become, go back to the 2nd quarter yesterday. Mike Gandy is blocking his man when he sees Dwight Freeney go wide. The TE picks up Freeney but Gandy doesn't know that. Instead he stops blocking and turns to his right to see what was going on.

At that moment, the guy Gandy was blocking runs right past him untouched and sacks Losman. I'm not saying JP Losman is the answer, but pick any QB in the NFL and put him behind our O-line and the results will be exactly the same.

PTR

If you want a perfect example of the clusterf**k our O-line has become, go back to the 2nd quarter yesterday.  Mike Gandy is blocking his man when he sees Dwight Freeney go wide.  The TE picks up Freeney but Gandy doesn't know that.  Instead he stops blocking and turns to his right to see what was going on.

At that moment, the guy Gandy was blocking runs right past him untouched and sacks Losman.  I'm not saying JP Losman is the answer, but pick any QB in the NFL and put him behind our O-line and the results will be exactly the same. 

PTR

835226[/snapback]

I'm glad somebody else caught that........I was screaming at my TV yesterday. JP would have had a pocket to step up into as Freeney was coming around the corner and was looking poised to throw long on that particular play. Not saying the play would have been successful or anything like that....but how does a 6 year veteran take his eyes off his blocker to look around and get his QB sacked is beyond stupidity.

If you want a perfect example of the clusterf**k our O-line has become, go back to the 2nd quarter yesterday.  Mike Gandy is blocking his man when he sees Dwight Freeney go wide.  The TE picks up Freeney but Gandy doesn't know that.  Instead he stops blocking and turns to his right to see what was going on.

At that moment, the guy Gandy was blocking runs right past him untouched and sacks Losman.  I'm not saying JP Losman is the answer, but pick any QB in the NFL and put him behind our O-line and the results will be exactly the same. 

PTR

835226[/snapback]

I disagree. Watch the other QBs around the league avoid the rush, there are very few great O-lines these days. The good QBs (like Brady for example), who aren't even very mobile, take one quick step up, and lose rushers or buy time. Watch any game. It's incredible how the Saints' O-line turned good overnight, and the signing of Drew Brees was just a coincidence?

I disagree.  Watch the other QBs around the league avoid the rush, there are very few great O-lines these days.  The good QBs (like Brady for example), who aren't even very mobile, take one quick step up, and lose rushers or buy time.  Watch any game.  It's incredible how the Saints' O-line turned good overnight, and the signing of Drew Brees was just a coincidence?

835307[/snapback]

No doubt it's a combination of the two....a chicken or the egg kind of thing. But the play he was referring to is different. If he stepped up in the pocket he would have saved McFarland a couple steps and that's it. Indy ran a stunt. When Gandy didn't have anyone to block immediately off the snap he turned and watched Peters drive Freeney wide. McFarland ducked into the gap and nailed Losman before Gandy even turned back to his position. It's a freaking stunt...teams run them from JV football and on.

No doubt it's a combination of the two....a chicken or the egg kind of thing.  But the play he was referring to is different.  If he stepped up in the pocket he would have saved McFarland a couple steps and that's it.  Indy ran a stunt.  When Gandy didn't have anyone to block immediately off the snap he turned and watched Peters drive Freeney wide.  McFarland ducked into the gap and nailed Losman before Gandy even turned back to his position.  It's a freaking stunt...teams run them from JV football and on.

835313[/snapback]

I'm not disputing that play, but he says put any QB behind our O-line and the results would be exactly the same? That's completely wrong. There are few QBs in the league as bad as JP as far as stepping up or avoiding a pass rush (or getting the ball out and making quick reads).

While I had the same initial reaction to that play, upon further thought it just reinforced the lack of trust and cohesion on the line. Freeney definitely got a great jump on Peters and was sprinting towards Losman. That's when Gandy gave up on his man to check back if Peters needed help. But Peters recovered and gave enough of a nudge to Freeney to allow Losman a step away from the pressure. In that split second, Gandy's guy rushed past and clobbered Losman.

No cohesion, no trust = clobbered QB

I'm not disputing that play, but he says put any QB behind our O-line and the results would be exactly the same?  That's completely wrong.  There are few QBs in the league as bad as JP as far as stepping up or avoiding a pass rush (or getting the ball out and making quick reads).

835359[/snapback]

Watch that play again. JP WAS stepping up, right into the oncoming arms of a disengaged Booger McFarland.

While I had the same initial reaction to that play, upon further thought it just reinforced the lack of trust and cohesion on the line.  Freeney definitely got a great jump on Peters and was sprinting towards Losman.  That's when Gandy gave up on his man to check back if Peters needed help.  But Peters recovered and gave enough of a nudge to Freeney to allow Losman a step away from the pressure.  In that split second, Gandy's guy rushed past and clobbered Losman.

No cohesion, no trust = clobbered QB

835437[/snapback]

Well said.

It was only one play

835649[/snapback]

That may be true. This was the only play that was caught by the replay camera. But it was just so mind-boggling to see Gandy stop blocking and let his man blow by him. What was Gandy thinking? The guy he was blocking would just vanish? Truthfully the whole line sucks out loud. People say Jauron doesn't trust JP to throw. What he really means is that he doesn't trust the O-line to block for more than a nanosecond. I mean orange traffic barrels would block better. At least you have to run around them.

PTR

B'gals have suffered many key injuries this season offense and defense, but they have

stockpiled very good OL talent.

I've said it for the past 2 years. Sign the B'gals T/G Scott Kooistra this off-season. He's re-signed for two minimum 1 year contracts since his 7th round 2003 selection.

Also sign DE Jonathan Fanene off of their practice squad...if he regains health.

Geathers and Smith have 7 sacks apiece so far...Fanene's the player they will promote to the starting defense if Justin Smith moves on.