11-11-06 Upset Thread

Chilly

This was a brutal weekend for top 10 teams

4 went down in upsets

#3 Louisville to Rutgers

#4 Texas to K State

#6 Auburn to Georgia

#8 Cal to Arizona

Next week is the real national title game, Ohio State/Michigan. And the week after that Notre Dame / USC will probably decide who goes to #2

This was a brutal weekend for top 10 teams

4 went down in upsets

#3 Louisville to Rutgers

#4 Texas to K State

#6 Auburn to Georgia

#8 Cal to Arizona

Next week is the real national title game, Ohio State/Michigan.  And the week after that Notre Dame / USC will probably decide who goes to #2

832751[/snapback]

After this weekend, Rutgers deserves to be #3.

Deserves? No.

Has an argument for the first time after this weekend?  Yes.

832758[/snapback]

Let's see. Texas bombed, Florida almost bombed, Auburn bombed, Cal bombed, ND has almost bombed on several occasions, and USC lost to a far superior opponent.

Rutgers defeated a #3 ranked team and is undefeated. They should be #3.

Let's see. Texas bombed, Florida almost bombed, Auburn bombed, Cal bombed, ND has almost bombed on several occasions, and USC lost to a far superior opponent.

Rutgers defeated a #3 ranked team and is undefeated. They should be #3.

832760[/snapback]

Like I said, an argument.

I could make an argument that Louisville and West Virginia were both overrated, and USC's schedule is better, as well as that I think USC would beat Rutgers on a neutral field. Therefore, I'd put USC ahead of Rutgers.

Deserves = way too strong of a word right now for Rutgers imo.

Like I said, an argument.

I could make an argument that Louisville and West Virginia were both overrated, and USC's schedule is better, as well as that I think USC would beat Rutgers on a neutral field.  Therefore, I'd put USC ahead of Rutgers.

Deserves = way too strong of a word right now for Rutgers imo.

832762[/snapback]

I think there is almost no doubt the top 5 after this week are:

1.Ohio

2.Michigan

3-5: USC, Rutgers, FL

How 3-5 turn out is a crap shoot at this point. I put USC and FL on fairly equal ground. So far I think FL's SOS is tougher than USC's, but both of them have played like crap at times and have had some ugly wins. I give credit to how Rutgers has played, but their SOS just doesn't compare.

IMO, it turns out:

3: USC (for some reason, being USC seems to automatically add points to the rankings)

4. FL

5. Rutgers

One team being overlooked in Arkansas. 9-1 overall, 6-0 in the SEC. They have LSU in a few weeks, so if they win that game, and win the SEC championship, i think you need to give them serious consideration for the title game.

ps - arkansas' only loss came at the hands of USC...hafta give them credit for having the brutal SEC schedule, then scheduling USC as a non-conf game.

Ed - rutgers is decent, but they dont deserve the #3 spot. they deserve it as much as boise state does. rutgers should be in the top 10, but i dont think they are top 5 even. Theres no way rutgers can hang with the big dogs (and no, louisville and WVU are not big dogs). in an 8 team playoff, they get the 7 or 8 seed, and would be promptly be blown out by ohio st or michigan.

What do we mean by "deserve?"

If it's only about whether Rutgers is better than USC, Texas, Arkansas, etc., well, likely not. Although they did handle Illinois a lot easier than Ohio State did, didn't they?

If it's about being rewarded for blocking and tackling your own schedule and enjoy the good fortune of others' bad luck, then they deserve to be up there -- and get their chance (or their wake-up call).

My prediction for Top 10:

1) Ohio State

2) That Team Up North

3) USC

4) Florida

5) Arkansas

6) Notre Dame

7) Rutgers

8) West Virginia

9) Texas

10) Louisville

Nobody has mentioned the Boise State Broncos, so I will:

Boise State barely beat San Jose State, so even if they run the table, I think they are out of BCS consideration.

Ed - rutgers is decent, but they dont deserve the #3 spot. they deserve it as much as boise state does. rutgers should be in the top 10, but i dont think they are top 5 even. Theres no way rutgers can hang with the big dogs (and no, louisville and WVU are not big dogs). in an 8 team playoff, they get the 7 or 8 seed, and would be promptly be blown out by ohio st or michigan.

832788[/snapback]

I disagree. First, Boise State does not play in a BCS conference; Rutgers does.

Second, after watching yesterday's games, there is absolutely zero merit to the "Rutgers can't hang with...." arguement. You can't assume that and you can't deny them their chance to prove it on the field.

The BCS picked six major conferences as the class of college football. How can they deny an undefeated team from one of those six conference? What is the poinht of the Big East even being in the BCS if they will never be considered for the Championship?

I disagree.  First, Boise State does not play in a BCS conference;  Rutgers does.

Second, after watching yesterday's games, there is absolutely zero merit to the "Rutgers can't hang with...." arguement.  You can't assume that and you can't deny them their chance to prove it on the field.

The BCS picked six major conferences as the class of college football.  How can they deny an undefeated team from one of those six conference?  What is the poinht of the Big East even being in the BCS if they will never be considered for the Championship?

832832[/snapback]

They are called the "Big Least" for a reason. Also, if the conference is do good, how come there was so much talk about booting them out from the BCS when the contract is up?

They are called the "Big Least" for a reason. Also, if the conference is do good, how come there was so much talk about booting them out from the BCS when the contract is up?

832872[/snapback]

If that decision is made at that time, then fine. Until that happens, they are one of the six BCS conferences and all such conferences should be equally regarded.

To arbitrarily rank a team with a worse record above an undefeated team based on some perceived strength of the conference is ludicrous and based on nothing more than reputation and sportswriter bias. Why have the BCS at all then? Why not just go back to the old days and leave it all up to the sportswriters on Jan 2?

If that decision is made at that time, then fine.  Until that happens, they are one of the six BCS conferences and all such conferences should be equally regarded.

To arbitrarily rank a team with a worse record above an undefeated team based on some perceived strength of the conference is ludicrous and based on nothing more than reputation and sportswriter bias.  Why have the BCS at all then?  Why not just go back to the old days and leave it all up to the sportswriters on Jan 2?

833095[/snapback]

Ramius is just mad because his FSU team would lose to a TBD team of 22.

RU has silenced the critics. The BE is no worse than any other conference.

I believe WVU DESTROYED Maryland, and look where they are in the ACC. <_<

The BE is no worse than any other conference.

833842[/snapback]

Come on....this is just blind homerism. That's like saying that the Buffalo is just as good as any other 1A school. There are differences in the conferences, and while I won't use the grade school "Big Least" defense, I can't imagine even the biggest homer ignoring that fact.

Well, AP is out....

1. Ohio State (64) 11-0 1,624

2. Michigan (1) 11-0 1,561

3. Florida 9-1 1,436

4. USC 8-1 1,433

5. Arkansas 9-1 1,331

6. Notre Dame 9-1 1,302

7. Rutgers 9-0 1,212

8. West Virginia 8-1 1,075

9. LSU 8-2 1,074

10. Louisville 8-1 1,028

Only 3 votes seperated USC and FL. I'd still be surprised if that isn't reversed in the BCS.

Come on....this is just blind homerism.  That's like saying that the Buffalo is just as good as any other 1A school.  There are differences in the conferences, and while I won't use the grade school "Big Least" defense, I can't imagine even the biggest homer ignoring that fact.

834527[/snapback]

How many ACC teams are in the top 10?

Again, WVU destroyed Maryland. Where do they stand in the ACC?

Floriday barely squeaked by SC, and ND got creamed by Michigan and should have lost to MSU.

0:)

How many ACC teams are in the top 10?

Again, WVU destroyed Maryland. Where do they stand in the ACC?

Floriday barely squeaked by SC, and ND got creamed by Michigan and should have lost to MSU.

0:)

834563[/snapback]

You're talking about individual teams and games. I'm talking about conferences. The big east just doesn't stack up.

And lets look at that last line. For starters, what does any of that have to do with the Big East? Are you trying to make the point that other teams lose too? How can ND losing to Michigan be an argument? Michigan is one of the best teams in the country....someone has to lose that game. And all this "should" have crap is just that.

And yes, everyone wants to talk about how FL barely beat SC. Besides the fact that I have already said FL has not played like they deserve to be champions (I'm not quite much of a blind homer as you), but SC isn't that bad a team, they just can't quite keep up with the rest of the dominating SEC. They have 5 losses this year....but they lost to Georgia, FL, Arkansas, Tennessee and Auburn! 4 out 5 of those teams have been in the title hunt until this weekend, and two of them still are! Georgia is a good team too, but falls into the same situation as SC. Do you really think Rutgers would be undefeated if they had that schedule? Hell, the SEC is going to be even better in the coming years, as SC is at the top of list of recruiting now that Spurrier signed on.

You're talking about individual teams and games.  I'm talking about conferences.  The big east just doesn't stack up.

And lets look at that last line.  For starters, what does any of that have to do with the Big East?  Are you trying to make the point that other teams lose too?  How can ND losing to Michigan be an argument?  Michigan is one of the best teams in the country....someone has to lose that game.  And all this "should" have crap is just that.

And yes, everyone wants to talk about how FL barely beat SC.  Besides the fact that I have already said FL has not played like they deserve to be champions (I'm not quite much of a blind homer as you), but SC isn't that bad a team, they just can't quite keep up with the rest of the dominating SEC.  They have 5 losses this year....but they lost to Georgia, FL, Arkansas, Tennessee and Auburn!  4 out 5 of those teams have been in the title hunt until this weekend, and two of them still are!  Georgia is a good team too, but falls into the same situation as SC. Do you really think Rutgers would be undefeated if they had that schedule?  Hell, the SEC is going to be even better in the coming years, as SC is at the top of list of recruiting now that Spurrier signed on.

834581[/snapback]

Like I said earlier, RU would only lose to UM and OSU. And those two aren't even a given.

Well, at least I've learned not to talk football with you.

834632[/snapback]

Oh really? Everyone has ridiculed Rutgers all year? What have they done? Beat everyone.

They shut down Louisville's number 3 offense. Did you even watch the game?

The fact is, is that you're scared. Rutgers can beat anyone. They are on the same level as the big two.

Oh really? Everyone has ridiculed Rutgers all year? What have they done? Beat everyone.

They shut down Louisville's number 3 offense. Did you even watch the game?

The fact is, is that you're scared. Rutgers can beat anyone. They are on the same level as the big two.

834638[/snapback]

:devil:

Not this again. Funny how you made that same statment before the UL game, but then predicted Rutgers would lose. Now you are a little puffed up again, so you throw it out there one more time.

Your opinions would mean a little more if you didn't talk sht from Sunday-Friday, but then back down on game day just to cover your ass.

:(

Not this again.  Funny how you made that same statment before the UL game, but then predicted Rutgers would lose.  Now you are a little puffed up again, so you throw it out there one more time.

Your opinions would mean a little more if you didn't talk sht from Sunday-Friday, but then back down on game day just to cover your ass.

834988[/snapback]

They proved it. And please tell me you ranked ND #4 in the other thread. :P Who does ND play next week, the Coast Guard? :devil:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.