Are you kidding me?

NY voted to keep the Comptroler who is under investigation for using taxpayer $ to taxi his wife around for years! He was told this was illegal years ago and continued to do it anyway. To top it off, NY elected an attorney general who isn't even an attorney (his dadddy was a politician though so he must be able to do it...see the Hillary/Bill rule). Downstate NY is truly the most retarded place in this country next to San Fran.

What's next, a Coroner who is a necrophiliac?

Unfortunately the most-funded competitor he had was supremely unqualified.

I voted against Hevesi, went Green. Fact is, until the third parties are putting forth enough effort and have some of the money they need to catch fire in these races, it'll be crooks vs. incompetents. I also disliked Cuomo and didn't vote for him. He's a d-bag for sure. He not only tanked a whole third party in the last gubernatorial election, but he is very unqualified as you say and has a bad record in some of his past positions. He certainly is a giant step down from Spitzer.

However, to pin it all on downstate is ludicrous. And where do you live that things are so awesome? Last I checked NY and SF are perpetual hotbeds of innovation and commerce. Eff off.

The sad thing to all politics is that in order to get elected and serve your country politically you need money.

How is anyone supposed to connect with anyone UNDER the upper upper class under that kind of system?

Look at the politicians; its all lawyers, judges and elites. Very very few "real people"

They dont represent "the people"

Why cant a normal joe like myself run a grass roots campaign without having to raise (and piss away) millions of dollars?

I voted against Hevesi, went Green.  Fact is, until the third parties are putting forth enough effort and have some of the money they need to catch fire in these races, it'll be crooks vs. incompetents.  I also disliked Cuomo and didn't vote for him.  He's a d-bag for sure.  He not only tanked a whole third party in the last gubernatorial election, but he is very unqualified as you say and has a bad record in some of his past positions.  He certainly is a giant step down from Spitzer.

However, to pin it all on downstate is ludicrous.  And where do you live that things are so awesome?  Last I checked NY and SF are perpetual hotbeds of innovation and commerce.  Eff off.

829325[/snapback]

If you don't realize that upstate NY is much more conservative than downstate, perhaps you aren't as innovative as you think. Things aren't awesome in any part of NY, mainly due to the fact that we have to live with the decisions of downstate voters.

If you don't realize that upstate NY is much more conservative than downstate, perhaps you aren't as innovative as you think.  Things aren't awesome in any part of NY, mainly due to the fact that we have to live with the decisions of downstate voters.

829351[/snapback]

Things are just fine here in NYC and in the capital district. I have no part in electing inept Erie County and Buffalo leadership. That area has done itself in in large part, and has done little to attract new industries and forms of commerce.

Things are just fine here in NYC and in the capital district.  I have no part in electing inept Erie County and Buffalo leadership.  That area has done itself in in large part, and has done little to attract new industries and forms of commerce.

829360[/snapback]

I'm in Ontario county in a town that is rapidly expanding compared to most others in the state.

I can't wait to see how businesses respond to the election of one of the biggest crusaders against "evil corporations". At least we don't have to worry about Spitzer going after labor groups that may affect his votes. He sure was quiet when it came time to punish the transit workers for striking and breaking a very straightforward law. Could it be that they were union workers and they get special treatment?

However, to pin it all on downstate is ludicrous.  And where do you live that things are so awesome?  Last I checked NY and SF are perpetual hotbeds of innovation and commerce.  Eff off.

829325[/snapback]

NYC is recession proof because it happens to house the Financial Center of the most powerful country in the history of humanity. I wouldn't call it a hotbed of innovation in any way, shape, form, or fashion. Perhaps you can correct me, as I've never lived there and only know what I've read (most of which is not good).

I also wouldn't put that tag on San Francisco, as the Silicon Valley is actually south of it. Places like Sunnyvale, Cupertino, Mountain View, Fremont, and San Jose deserve the credit. San Francisco simply reaps the rewards. I lived in the South Bay for 5 years. It's as screwed up a place politicially as most third world countries.

NYC is recession proof because it happens to house the Financial Center of the most powerful country in the history of humanity. I wouldn't call it a hotbed of innovation in any way, shape, form, or fashion. Perhaps you can correct me, as I've never lived there and only know what I've read (most of which is not good).

The only true innovation in NYC is in the financial sector. New products and derivatives (no pun intended) of existing products are dreamed up almost weekly as different types of investments.

As far as other actual innovation, not really.

829325[/snapback]

That makes so much sense. Things can't be awesome when 90% of the population live downstate and make the rest of the state over-taxed, legislated, and find people who don't want to live here or be landlords.

You should eff off.

I voted for Hevesi, but I hope he gets tossed out. The reason is I couldn't vote for Callaghan because I'm in the state retirement system and Callaghan wants to end pensions as we know them for new employees. Even though I would be grandfathered in and Callaghan couldn't stop my pension, anyone who is against the concept, and is the sole trustee of the currently $140 billion fund, worries me. I would be concered that he might hurt the fund through benign neglect. How can I trust a man who doesn't believe in the pension fund to work hard to insure its growth & stability?

If Hevesi gets tossed, we'll get a guy a lot more qualified than Callaghan. If Hevesi stays, we get a guy a lot more qualified than Callaghan, with a proven record of being pro-pension. Either way, a better choice for me than Callaghan represented.

You can have an honest incompetent or a crook who is competent. When it comes to my money, give me the competent crook, because he may steal SOME of my money, but he won't blow ALL of my money by screwing up.

Maybe I can vote for a crook because I think all politicians are crooks. I vote for the crook whose agenda fits my interests 1st, then I move on to how I feel about the issues that may not affect me directly, but are important to other people that I believe should benefit. However, when it's financial, it's all my interest only when I vote.

That makes so much sense. Things can't be awesome when 90% of the population live downstate and make the rest of the state over-taxed, legislated, and find people who don't want to live here or be landlords.

You should eff off.

830079[/snapback]

Your point? If 90% of the population lives downstate then how is it a problem when far less than 90% of the resources go to that area?

If you think WNY can survive without NYC start the secession movement. It's a complete fallacy that NYC is a drain on WNY.

BTW, New York State senate is Republican-controlled.

I voted against Hevesi, went Green.  Fact is, until the third parties are putting forth enough effort and have some of the money they need to catch fire in these races, it'll be crooks vs. incompetents.  I also disliked Cuomo and didn't vote for him.  He's a d-bag for sure.  He not only tanked a whole third party in the last gubernatorial election, but he is very unqualified as you say and has a bad record in some of his past positions.  He certainly is a giant step down from Spitzer.

829325[/snapback]

I think the dude he was facing was the comptroller from Saratoga county, a placid place of about 200,000 people noted for its horse races and mineral spas. Do you honestly think we would elect someone like that to be the fiscal watchdog of the 3rd largest state in the country?

Not that I voted for Hevesi mind you but I can understand why many did.

BTW, New York State senate is Republican-controlled.

831121[/snapback]

Not that it matters, but NYS Republicans are as liberal as NYS Democrats. Tom Reynolds just won re-election by basing his entire campaign around the traditionally liberal idea of protecting social security.

For all intents and purposes, there are no conservative voters or candidates in NYS.

Not that it matters, but NYS Republicans are as liberal as NYS Democrats.  Tom Reynolds just won re-election by basing his entire campaign around the traditionally liberal idea of protecting social security. 

For all intents and purposes, there are no conservative voters or candidates in NYS.

831185[/snapback]

That's not why Reynolds won.

Reynolds won because of 10/13/06 and he was running against Monty Burns.

Tom Reynolds isn't Conservative :P

Isn't that what I just said?

831193[/snapback]

I know but having lived in Reynolds district I just found that statement unbelievable.

But hey, I'd bet you would find my definition of Hillary Rodhamburger Clinton as "Not liberal" equally as silly in your pov.