One trick pony JP Question - How many passes...

AnthonyF

do you want him to make?

I can't stand 3 yard rushing averages... I want 30-35 passes a game minimum (weather permitting) to see if he is capable of being our QB. Add to that the rolls and 3 step drops mentioned over and over.

Average passes in week 9 was 32 (does not include sack and qb rushes)... Thus I don't think I am being pass happy asking for that many attempts.

do you want him to make?

I can't stand 3 yard rushing averages...  I want 30-35 passes a game minimum (weather permitting) to see if he is capable of being our QB.  Add to that the rolls and 3 step drops mentioned over and over.

Average passes in week 9 was 32 (does not include sack and qb rushes)...  Thus I don't think I am being pass happy asking for that many attempts.

829232[/snapback]

He was sacked five times in 20 passing plays and you want to run less and pass more?

do you want him to make?

I can't stand 3 yard rushing averages...  I want 30-35 passes a game minimum (weather permitting) to see if he is capable of being our QB.  Add to that the rolls and 3 step drops mentioned over and over.

Average passes in week 9 was 32 (does not include sack and qb rushes)...  Thus I don't think I am being pass happy asking for that many attempts.

829232[/snapback]

Apparently it has been the Bills' recent philosophy (at least to the public) to be committed to te run. So no matter what you ask for, Losman is not going to average over 30-35 passes, no way no how. More importantly, though, it just not necessary for the Bills to exercise Losman's arm that much a game to see if he is a capable QB. He just needs to manage the game: i.e., make accurate passes downfield when he has to in order to keep the opposing defense honest against the run and hold on to the damn ball...and thats it. There would be a ton of happy Bills fans if Losman completed 16 for 21, 18 for 24 week after week with no turnovers. :D

Apparently it has been the Bills' recent philosophy (at least to the public) to be committed to te run.  So no matter what you ask for, Losman is not going to average over 30-35 passes, no way no how.  More importantly, though, it just not necessary for the Bills to exercise Losman's arm that much a game to see if he is a capable QB.  He just needs to manage the game: i.e., make accurate passes downfield when he has to in order to keep the opposing defense honest against the run and hold on to the damn ball...and thats it.  There would be a ton of happy Bills fans if Losman completed 16 for 21, 18 for 24 week after week with no turnovers.  :D

829328[/snapback]

Maybe the Bills can use their new found tendancy to run left to their advantage. Throw in a few fakes in that direction with roll out to the right. Should be able to hit a tight end or receiver over there or even let JP keep it.

The league average was 32 passes last week. Losman has averaged 26.5/game. I want him at the average.

You do not manage the game when a run is called, you follow instructions. I can promise you should the Bills go 4-4 down the stretch with the same results from Losman, the debate will continue. He is completing 60% of his passes, is on pace for 14 td's 12 Ints, 2,800 yards passing and an 80 qb rating.

We will have learned nothing....

The laugue average was 32 passes last week.  Losman has averaged 26.5/game.  I want him at the average. 

You do not manage the game when a run is called, you follow instructions.  I can promise you should the Bills go 4-4 down the stretch with the same results from Losman, the debate will continue.  He is completing 60% of his passes, is on pace for 14 td's 12 Ints, 2,800 yards passing and an 80 qb rating.

We will have learned nothing....

829713[/snapback]

I'm with you 100%. We drafted Losman to be a gun-slinging QB, not to manage games. If we want a game manager, Kelly Holcolmb is probably one of the best. I think we need to know if Losman is capabale of throwing for 350 yards and carrying this team on his back--otherwise, why waste anymore time with him?

On the flip side, we need to max protect him, our receivers need to get open, and they can't drop their usual 5 passes per game.

Not with this team. If we are pass happy we will lose even more. I'm more concerned with getting 30 rushing attempts consistently.

Here's another good example: 10-15, 148 yds, 3 TDs.

Those are Damon Huard's number from this past week. It's not the attempts, it's making them count.

829729[/snapback]

I knew someone would use that stat. Of course having a huge early lead in that game 17-0 and 24-10 at half had nothing to do with it. Larry Johnson also had 172 yards rushing and St. Louis had the ball 35 minutes and ran 72 plays to 49.

Why does everyone say "not with this team"? Is it our wonderful running game that scares everyone?

Hey if JP completed those 2 passes I obsessed about his #'s would have mirrored Huard's.

A weak argument.

do you want him to make?

829232[/snapback]

Listen...this is football. The object (at least last time I looked) is to win games or come as close to winning as you can. Given our pass protection a requirement that JP throw 35 passes a game (not counting the 8 to 10 sacks per game you would be consigning to him.) wouldresult in a bag of interceptions, rushed passes and prove absolutely nothing.

Listen...this is football.  The object (at least last time I looked) is to win games or come as close to winning as you can. Given our pass protection a requirement that JP throw 35 passes a game (not counting the 8 to 10 sacks per game you would be consigning to him.) wouldresult in a bag of interceptions, rushed passes and prove absolutely nothing.

829750[/snapback]

But you forgot one thing, this way the anti JP folks will probably get thier way..... JP would problably being injured and KNOCKED out instead of being benched. And then we would see one of the backups......

But you forgot one thing, this way the anti JP folks will probably get thier way..... JP would problably being injured and KNOCKED out instead of being benched.  And then we would see one of the backups......

829761[/snapback]

And all the JP bashers would be happy.

Point is with 35 passes a week and 16 games, may be a decision could be made. 8-15, arguing over dropped passes and pass protection tells us nothing.

I'm with you 100%. We drafted Losman to be a gun-slinging QB, not to manage games. If we want a game manager, Kelly Holcolmb is probably one of the best. I think we need to know if Losman is capabale of throwing for 350 yards and carrying this team on his back--otherwise, why waste anymore time with him?

On the flip side, we need to max protect him, our receivers need to get open, and they can't drop their usual 5 passes per game.

829725[/snapback]

Exactly, you don't spend a 1st, 2nd, and 5th round pick on a guy who can play managed games. You pay that much to get a guy who can make plays and win games with his ability that surpasses mediocrity.

Most of us would be happy with consistent mediocrity of 200 yards a game, 60% completion rate and a 5:3 TD to INT ratio, with 6 fumbles a season. Most of us would ecstatic if that was the case. Instead we are happy when he didn't turn the ball over once, 100 yards passing, and no real offense to speak of.

Funny how I said (not on this board) that I wanted Brunell more than any QB when he was available via FA because he was affordable, still serviceable, and we could have kept our picks. He's not great, and an easy pick to bash, but can anyone honestly tell me it was a bad thought in comparison to what we have now?

Exactly, you don't spend a 1st, 2nd, and 5th round pick on a guy who can play managed games. You pay that much to get a guy who can make plays and win games with his ability that surpasses mediocrity.

Most of us would be happy with consistent mediocrity of 200 yards a game, 60% completion rate and a 5:3 TD to INT ratio, with 6 fumbles a season. Most of us would ecstatic if that was the case. Instead we are happy when he didn't turn the ball over once, 100 yards passing, and no real offense to speak of.

Funny how I said (not on this board) that I wanted Brunell more than any QB when he was available via FA because he was affordable, still serviceable, and we could have kept our picks. He's not great, and an easy pick to bash, but can anyone honestly tell me it was a bad thought in comparison to what we have now?

829805[/snapback]

wrong Washington QB-

They should have signed Patrick Ramsey

And all the JP bashers would be happy.

Point is with 35 passes a week and 16 games, may be a decision could be made.  8-15, arguing over dropped passes and pass protection tells us nothing.

829800[/snapback]

That may be what the fans want to see so they can make their judgements on him, but not the coaching staff. They see him every practice and during games and know what they are looking for. I have a feeling we see him for atleast one more year before something drastic happens. If anything, if he does not look great the way they are trying to work him (to stay in the pocket and read defences) they will eventually (probably sometime next season after they attepmt to provide him with a better supporting cast) turn him loose and tell him just to play the way he did in college and that could be what he needs to become a good QB

Sometimes thats what it takes for it to click for some people when they are learning something new. You teach them to do something one way and then if it doesn't seem like they are grasping it, let them go back to their old ways and it sometimes clicks for them and they get it

829232[/snapback]

26 sacks in 212 attempts.

If you want to kill him, shoot him. It's kinder.