This week's "WTF?" point spread

Many here were shocked last week when the Bills were posted as a 3.5 point favorite over Green Bay. I was not that surprised, and took the Bills laying the points. Thank God for Favre throwing on 1st and goal to secure one of my few wins of the weekend.

This week, Buffalo is posted as 12 point dogs at Indy. I would have thought this would be Colts -15, at least. But the real head scratcher, IMO: How are the Steelers 4-point favorites over the 6-2 Saints? Is this one of those "I can't figure why the Steelers are favored by four, so I might as well take 'em" games?

NFL

Favorite Line Underdog

Sunday

@ Indianapolis 12 (45) Buffalo

Kansas City 1 (40) @ Miami

@ Jacksonville 101/2 (371/2) Houston

San Diego 1 (48) @ Cincinnati

@ Atlanta 71/2 (42) Cleveland

Baltimore 7 (381/2) @ Tennessee

@ Pittsburgh 4 (451/2) New Orleans

@ Philadelphia 7 (43) Washington

@ N.Y. Giants 3 (391/2) Chicago

@ Minnesota 51/2 (39) Green Bay

@ N. England 101/2 (391/2) N.Y. Jets

@ Detroit 6 (45) San Francisco

@ Oakland OFF Denver

@ Seattle OFF St. Louis

Dallas 7 (43) @ Arizona

Nov. 13

@ Carolina 91/2 (37) Tampa Bay

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whenever i see numbers like that, it's like they're almost BEGGING you to play one side...and i stay away.

although, if i had to play one of those, i'd be all over the steelers. i watched them sunday and i honestly don't they're as bad as their record.

i never touch regular season games any more. i don't have the stomach for them.

Id be wary of that ... Only because Oakland always seems to play Denver tough and vice versa. Its that big rival thing.

828510[/snapback]

Divisional rivals do add a dimension. However, in that game, you have to figure Denver only needs to score 17 to guarantee a cover. I can't see the Raiders putting up more than 7. And that 7 would have to be lucky.

Divisional rivals do add a dimension.  However, in that game, you have to figure Denver only needs to score 17 to guarantee a cover.  I can't see the Raiders putting up more than 7.  And that 7 would have to be lucky.

828538[/snapback]

You don't know much about Shanahan's love for Davis, do you....

Look, I watched every down of last night's game and I can not imagine a world where Denver will allow the Raiders to even sniff the endzone. The Broncos offense has finally caught up with it's defense, and if they can go into Pittsburgh and beat the crap out of the Steelers, you have to wonder how badly they'll hurt the Raiders. Nine points is a steal. It'll be over 11 before the week is over.

Denver -9 is scary. Seattle absoultely destroyed Oakland on Monday and they only got 16 points. Oakland's defense hasn't been that bad, it's been their offense that has been brutal. Plus, it's Jake Plummer, since when is he not the most inconsistent week to week NFL starter?

Indianapolis -12 is easy money.

The Steelers -4 baffles me as well, they haven't shown any signs of life at all the last couple weeks and the Saints have been pretty good. The 4 makes a field goal win by the Steelers a loss for the bettor as well. That line smells fishy.

Denver -9 is scary.  Seattle absoultely destroyed Oakland on Monday and they only got 16 points.  Oakland's defense hasn't been that bad, it's been their offense that has been brutal.  Plus, it's Jake Plummer, since when is he not the most inconsistent week to week NFL starter?

828559[/snapback]

If you read today's article at NFL.com about last night's game, the big point was that Seattle stayed with the run the entire game and just ate the clock while getting over 200 yards on the ground.

You are right about Plummer. You can usually tell what kind of game he's going to have based on his first couple of series, but Shanahan has put a lot of emphasis on letting Plummer do what he does best; get the running game going, then rolling everyone in one direction for a run, then rolling out Plummer to throw on the run while everyone is headed in the opposite direction. I think that's where he's at his best. (In fact, I think that is where Losman would be at his best if they'd just roll him out more.)

Look, I watched every down of last night's game and I can not imagine a world where Denver will allow the Raiders to even sniff the endzone. The Broncos offense has finally caught up with it's defense, and if they can go into Pittsburgh and beat the crap out of the Steelers, you have to wonder how badly they'll hurt the Raiders. Nine points is a steal. It'll be over 11 before the week is over.

828555[/snapback]

Yes, I'm well aware of Shanahan and his Raiders history. The only reason divisional rivals add an extra dimension is due to their familiarity. It can make it a bit more difficult to cover a big number. That said, I'm with you. I think Denver -9 is a smooth play and that will be up into double-digits by the weekend.

Haven't seen the number, but I assume the total will be somewhere in the 32-35 range. Probably go under, with the way Denver runs and Oak's lack of everything. Like I said, they'll be lucky to get 7.

Many here were shocked last week when the Bills were posted as a 3.5 point favorite over Green Bay.  I was not that surprised, and took the Bills laying the points.  Thank God for Favre throwing on 1st and goal to secure one of my few wins of the weekend.

This week, Buffalo is posted as 12 point dogs at Indy.  I would have thought this would be Colts -15, at least.  But the real head scratcher, IMO: How are the Steelers 4-point favorites over the 6-2 Saints?  Is this one of those "I can't figure why the Steelers are favored by four, so I might as well take 'em" games?

828494[/snapback]

I see the Steelers covering, especially if it drops below 3. The fumbles and Int's have killed this team, otherwise they've been moving the ball like one of the best offenses in football the last few weeks. They also still have a decent defense, and believe it or not pride. They came to play against Denver and would have won had it not been for turnovers. BR has been so banged up, and is starting to get healthy now. The Steelers are calling themselves out in the Press. Last time that happened they throttled KC at home. I expect primo effort up until they lose the 8th game, possibly 7th game.

828555[/snapback]

And that has stopped Shanahan from losing in the past to Oakland??? hmm ... NO!

Im not saying Oakland is going to cover the spread or win ... Im just saying I wouldnt be suprised if the game was better (closer) than most people think.

I see the Steelers covering, especially if it drops below 3.  The fumbles and Int's have killed this team, otherwise they've been moving the ball like one of the best offenses in football the last few weeks. They also still have a decent defense, and believe it or not pride. They came to play against Denver and would have won had it not been for turnovers. BR has been so banged up, and is starting to get healthy now.

828635[/snapback]

Yeah, did anyone else watch that game last week? Any time you're -5 in turnovers and still in the game with 2:00 left you're doing a lot of things right. The Steelers had more yards & twice as many 1st downs, not too much unlike the Pitt-Oakland game the week prior; except both offenses scored more. The Broncos didn't "kick the crap" out of anybody. Also, the first game Oak-Den game in Denver was 13-3.

It's pretty unreal how many games Pittsburgh has given away with turnovers this year: just think Bills-Jets 4 times over except with a much better rush defense.

The Broncos didn't "kick the crap" out of anybody.  Also, the first game Oak-Den game in Denver was 13-3.

828778[/snapback]

Six fumbles, three of which were recovered by Denver. Three picks. Four sacks. Three touchdowns through the air and a 72-yard end-around where Walker was untouched. And all of it on the road.

I think when a team like Pittsburgh screws up, much like Green Bay did this week, it's easy to say that Denver didn't win so much as Pittsburgh lost, but they capitalized on virtually every Pittsburgh screwup in a game the Steelers desperately needed. That just looked like an ass-kicking to me.

Six fumbles, three of which were recovered by Denver. Three picks. Four sacks. Three touchdowns through the air and a 72-yard end-around where Walker was untouched. And all of it on the road.

I think when a team like Pittsburgh screws up, much like Green Bay did this week, it's easy to say that Denver didn't win so much as Pittsburgh lost, but they capitalized on virtually every Pittsburgh screwup in a game the Steelers desperately needed. That just looked like an ass-kicking to me.

828786[/snapback]

Many of the fumbles happened downfield by WR's and RB's. That's not something you can expect to keep happening. Denver started off completing a deep ball, scored, then forced a fumble on the kickoff and scored again. It was 14 nothing in no time, and Pittsburgh just started throwing. Just like in Oakland they drove all over the field, but untimely turnovers, and missed FG's killed them. If you look at what happened in the Denver game, and Oakland games, it's clear the Steelers could be dominating people without the mistakes. It's more a matter will they keep playing or not. If they keep playing things will eventually turn around.

and if they can go into Pittsburgh and beat the crap out of the Steelers, you have to wonder how badly they'll hurt the Raiders. Nine points is a steal. It'll be over 11 before the week is over.

828555[/snapback]

If Buffalo can go into Miami and own the Dolphins than most certainly the Bears should shut out Miami in Chicago and beat them by at least 3 tds. ;)

Really your probably right. Denver should handle the Faiders, but in todays watered down equalized NFL absolutely nothing is for sure. The only game that I see which is close to a sure thing is the Bills/Colts one.

Yeah, I'd be wary of Denver as well. Plummer on the road can really bite you in the butt sometimes.

Hey daquix, looks I owe you $20 from the bet on the Pats vs Indy. How about you let me go double or nothing? Give me your slate of picks for this week and I'll go opposite on one of them.