Hey Stupid

coltrane34

Ok, but Favre made the Pro Bowl in his first year as a starter, something not many others have done

As for the rest, they gained their experience in other leagues before stepping into the NFL and playing above par. You might get the same results if JP played in the CFL (or AFL) for a couple years too. The difference is, JP came staright out of college as a raw prospect and put into the position as a starting QB (probably a little too early) on a team that did not have the supporting cast to help him and cover for some of his mistakes

828644[/snapback]

This idea that somehow JP was so much "rawer" of a prospect then other quarterbacks is baloney in my opinion.

Lets face it - college, while important, wasn't so much different between anywhere and Tulane that JP should not be expected to be very good.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This idea that somehow JP was so much "rawer" of a prospect then other quarterbacks is baloney in my opinion.

Lets face it - college, while important, wasn't so much different between anywhere and Tulane that JP should not be expected to be very good.

828655[/snapback]

That talent levels are different between schools, and Tulane isn't exactly known for being a QB factory. A QB that looked good playing in a big name schoolt hat played other big name schools defences should have an easier time because they are used to a higher level of talent.

Dude. No matter what you say, JP has 3 years of experience. Not 3 years of starting. But 3 years of experience.

Phillip Rivers ...  sat the bench for a while and this is his first year starting and he is putting up near pro-bowl numbers (1,750 yards, 10 TD's, 3 INT)

And plays on a team with excellent pieces around him

The thread started said Peyton had a bad rookie season? Are you kidding? He had a ton of interceptions but he also had over 3,000 yards and 26 touchdowns. Thats insane!  Manning was much more polished coming out AND had a excellent offense around him that year

McNabb's first year starting he had over 3,300 yards, 21 touchdowns and 13 INT

McNabb is a perfect example of my theory at present on JP Losman....If my memory serves me correctly McNabb was a scrambling QB when he came out of Syracuse.....and when he came into the NFL his coaches didn't try to stifle that...it has been reported NUMEROUS times that coaches are telling JPL to stay in the pocket and go through his reads......and this is changing the type OF QB he actually is....which is hurting his progression.....just my opinion

Daunte Culpepper first year starting he had 4,000 yards 33 TD's and 16 INT and dont give me that Randy Moss bull-crap because Moss didnt even have 1/2 of Culpeppers TD's.  See above

Tom Brady first year starting ... Superbowl An exception to the rule

Brett Favre first year starting ... pro bowl An exception to the rule

So dont give us that crap (original thread poster) about QB's not being good their first year

828652[/snapback]

My point is that giving up on JP now is giong to set the team back years.  Letting him grow and make mistakes will allow the team to concentrate on other issues.  A solid team around him will make him look a million times better.

827364[/snapback]

I was actually impressed by Losman in that nothing was working offensively and yet he didn't get so frustrated that he started to throw ints or get happy feet.

How a QB responds to a bad day is far more telling than how he responds to a good one.

For anyone who thinks Jp should be pulled, remember that 99% of hall of Fame quarterbacks have not been very productive in their first full season of starts.  Almost every good QB and even the great Manning, Farve, Kelly, Moon, Elway......I could go on, have all struggled mightily in the beginnings of their historic careers.

JP should not and will not be pulled this entire Season.  The combination of the entire teams mistakes will not be put on his shoulders. 

You people that want to see Nall or some rookie QB take over this team are ignorant to the game of football as a whole.  With a young Quarterback you have to be ready to take some lumps in order to make him better.  When you draft a young QB you have to let him develop over at least three to four years.  If you give up before the kid has even a full season of starts then you should have just gotten a veteran free agent who has all ready been developed by another team.

JP has everything he needs to be a premiere QB.  Build around him, let him win the team and fans over with his persistance, and  he will be great.  Don't be a mularkey and try to ruin this teams chances for another few seasons.

827338[/snapback]

Did the original post author even bother to check the named QBs' stats before stating that they ALL "stuggled mightily"? As others have already pointed out, those QBs were more than respectable when they took over their respective starting jobs. Maybe its time to skip tuning in to the NFL on and stick to watching paintball on ESPN2 on Sunday afternoons. ;)

That talent levels are different between schools, and Tulane isn't exactly known for being a QB factory. A QB that looked good playing in a big name schoolt hat played other big name schools defences should have an easier time because they are used to a higher level of talent.

828678[/snapback]

Most big name schools don't play a ton of other big named schools, unless its the SEC. ;)

Seriously though, I don't think the talent level is that much better compared to the jump in talent level with the NFL. (Rothelisberger, Gradkowski, etc)

Most big name schools don't play a ton of other big named schools, unless its the SEC. ;)

Seriously though, I don't think the talent level is that much better compared to the jump in talent level with the NFL.  (Rothelisberger, Gradkowski, etc)

828823[/snapback]

That's just flat out wrong.

The talent level in college jumps drastically depending on your conference. The lesser schools in the Major Conferences still have more all around talent than the lesser schools in the Mid Majors. It's just how the game goes.

The Big 10, SEC, ACC have far more all around talent than Conference USA. A QB from one of the major conferences faces far more talented Defenses (on average) than one from C-USA. A four year starter from the SEC/Big 10/Pac 10 etc will have faced far better teams over the length of their career than a four year starter from a mid major.

Does that make for a better NFL QB? No. But it certainly makes for a more polished prospect.

HAHA ... so their were 6-7 "exceptions to the rule" in the past couple of years. That really makes sense.

828977[/snapback]

3 of your 5 examples are probably hall of famers, the other two, well one yes he is this past year with LT and Gates, and the other is Daunte, good ol' Daunte, so he didn't struggle then, but he sure is now.

So the only three who have proven that they can consistantly play well without struggling have had good support mostly and are hall of fame bound, does JP have to be that good?

The talent level in college jumps drastically depending on your conference. The lesser schools in the Major Conferences still have more all around talent than the lesser schools in the Mid Majors. It's just how the game goes.

I don't dispute this (I was joking about the SEC comment). I do dispute that it makes a difference at the pro level.

Does that make for a better NFL QB? No. But it certainly makes for a more polished prospect.

829137[/snapback]

No freaking way. The difference between conference is so, so much smaller then the difference between college and pros that it just doesn't matter.

He's comparing JP to some all time greats and WE are "stupid"?

Good Lord

828719[/snapback]

Um, wrong. All I am saying is that you need to give a great QB time to develop. JP has all of the tools, the team needs to give him time to learn how to best use those tools. If the Bills give up too early some other team will benifit from their development of this guy. We all new this season was going to be tough, lets make this hard season mean something, instead of giving up and starting over yet again. Let these guys develop and build around them.

Did the original post author even bother to check the named QBs' stats before stating that they ALL "stuggled mightily"?  As others have already pointed out, those QBs were more than respectable when they took over their respective starting jobs.  Maybe its time to skip tuning in to the NFL on and stick to watching paintball on ESPN2 on Sunday afternoons.  ;)

828819[/snapback]

Ok again with the stats. Moon and Kelly's first seasons were not even with the NFL. I remember people calling for Elway and Kelly to be pulled in their first NFL seasons. Farve was traded and then became great, and Manning did suck a long with the rest of his team. All I am saying is that no matter what JP getting every snap is going to help this team in the future more than replacing of trading him. You have to let him play through this or they will have wasted the past two years, and possibly the next three in developing another young QB.