How did Peters and Gandy do?

Acantha

I didn't get to see the game this week so I'm wondering how our new left side of the line did. All I can look at are the stats, and it appears all 5 sacks came from the right side. I expected Butler/Villareal to be weak, so that isn't surprising.

So for their first game at new positions, how did they do?

The majority of our runs were to left side. WM would have scored a 15 yard TD on the first possession had he not been tackled by his shoestrings. That was to the left side. A-Train scored running to the left side. They were opening some pretty good holes for A-Train. They also didn't allow a sack. Pennington and Villarial were accountable for all 5 sacks.

The majority of our runs were to left side.  WM would have scored a 15 yard TD on the first possession had he not been tackled by his shoestrings.  That was to the left side.  A-Train scored running to the left side.  They were opening some pretty good holes for A-Train.  They also didn't allow a sack.  Pennington and Villarial were accountable for all 5 sacks.

826897[/snapback]

That's good to hear. How about pressures? Did JP generally have space on that side? Did you notice any blitzing from that side?

On the TD pass to Evans, he recieved a little pressure only after he stepped up into the pocket and he got drilled after he made the throw, which resulted in the throw being slightly underthrown.

Overall, they did well on the left side. Much better than the right and GB did their homework and applied the majority of the pressure on the right side of the line.

On the TD pass to Evans, he recieved a little pressure only after he stepped up into the pocket and he got drilled after he made the throw, which resulted in the throw being slightly underthrown. 

Overall, they did well on the left side.  Much better than the right and GB did their homework and applied the majority of the pressure on the right side of the line.

826912[/snapback]

Cool, thanks.

I don't have a replay of the game available to me, but I thought I noticed Peters getting beaten by KGB on the outside speed rush once or twice. I guess those didn't end up accounting for sacks though. From what I could tell, Gandy was solid, and both of them looked good in the running game.

I didn't get to see the game this week so I'm wondering how our new left side of the line did.  All I can look at are the stats, and it appears all 5 sacks came from the right side.  I expected Butler/Villareal to be weak, so that isn't surprising.

826885[/snapback]

They were very solid, especially in the 2nd half when GB was clearly looking that way and stacking their defenders to that side.

I didn't get to see the game this week so I'm wondering how our new left side of the line did.  All I can look at are the stats, and it appears all 5 sacks came from the right side.  I expected Butler/Villareal to be weak, so that isn't surprising.

826885[/snapback]

From what I witnessed when I was watching, the left side of the line played pretty well, but Pennington well, I think maybe we need to put someone else in there. I don't think he's ready. He got beat for two sacks. I saw Brad Butler come in at the end of the game. Maybe they are giving him a chance to start next week.

I don't have a replay of the game available to me, but I thought I noticed Peters getting beaten by KGB on the outside speed rush once or twice. I guess those didn't end up accounting for sacks though. From what I could tell, Gandy was solid, and both of them looked good in the running game.

826922[/snapback]

Peters did get beat a few times but luckily we had a few quick pass plays called that went to Shelton. I think that with a few more games on our left side we could have a poor man's Walter Jones/Hutschison LT/LG combo that the Seahawks had last year (optimism!)

From what I read:

Most of the pressure on Sunday came from the inside as Green Bay defensive tackle Corey Williams had three takedowns of Buffalo quarterback J.P. Losman. Defensive tackle Cullen Jenkins also had a sack.

The Bills' pass protection was abysmal. The Pack had five sacks, and they were allowed, in order, by Terrence Pennington, Chris Villarrial, Jason Peters, J.P. Losman holding the ball too long and Melvin Fowler.

Personally, I think you're making Pennington's performance sound much worse than it was. If there is one person on this line that should be benched, it's Villarial.

Peters did get beat a few times but luckily we had a few quick pass plays called that went to Shelton. I think that with a few more games on our left side we could have a poor man's Walter Jones/Hutschison LT/LG combo that the Seahawks had last year (optimism!)

826953[/snapback]

I would agree. I think people are too critical of our line. Did you watch all the other games yesterday, every single QB gets pressured, some often! How many times did Peyton throw the ball away or get hit as he threw? How many times did he step up to avoid pressure, or roll out away from a collapsing pocket? Tom Brady did as well. What is the difference? They know how to handle the pressure and they have a lot more awareness than JP. I'm not saying our line is equally as good, but it's not near as bad as people make it out to be. I think Jp was quite possibly the worst I've ever seen him with scrambling, avoiding pressure and getting the ball out.

I would agree.  I think people are too critical of our line.  Did you watch all the other games yesterday, every single QB gets pressured, some often!  How many times did Peyton throw the ball away or get hit as he threw?  How many times did he step up to avoid pressure, or roll out away from a collapsing pocket?  Tom Brady did as well.  What is the difference?  They know how to handle the pressure and they have a lot more awareness than JP.  I'm not saying our line is equally as good, but it's not near as bad as people make it out to be.  I think Jp was quite possibly the worst I've ever seen him with scrambling, avoiding pressure and getting the ball out.

827020[/snapback]

I'll agree that JP needs better pocket awareness but yesterday all the pressure came from inside out and when that happens there is nowhere for a QB to hide! I also agree that befor last game people were a little too harsh on the O-line for they expect the 91 Hogs and for a QB to never get touched. But at least in the first few games besides a few breakdowns and missed blitz pickups JP at least had time to setup. Yesterday we strted to look like the Cardinarls line! Hopefully Pennington can get better with a few games and CV can go to a retirement home! I think, I know it is only one game but we might have have a winning cobo on the leftside so hopefully we can address other areas on the team in the offseason.

From what I saw, Pennington was only beaten cleanly once -- and that was early in the game. I believe the other 4 sacks came up the gut -- and at least 2 of them were on CV. Now, I'm not sure if the others were on CV, Fowler or Gandy. I will say that Gandy did a good job a couple of times (especially on the TD pass) in helping Peters with KGB. Of course, sacks don't tell the whole story, as there were numerous other times that the interior of the line caved, such as on the play that ended Willis' day. Again, don't know where to point the finger -- but clearly CV for one is a a liability.

826953[/snapback]

Too bad we have a rich man's RJ at QB though!

Go Bills!

That's good to hear.  How about pressures?  Did JP generally have space on that side?  Did you notice any blitzing from that side?

826903[/snapback]

I was at the game and this line played the same, 5 sacks and many many many hurries (I don't know the exact stat). I'm on the fence with JP at this point because he made some horrible throws yesterday and for some reason now has an awful tendency to stare down his go to receiver but I won't blame him entirely.

This O-line is far from being even average. Hopefully they will gel and get better.

But didn't the O-line seem alot better the first three games?

What happened?

The Bills' pass protection was abysmal. The Pack had five sacks, and they were allowed, in order, by Terrence Pennington, Chris Villarrial, Jason Peters, J.P. Losman holding the ball too long and Melvin Fowler.

Personally, I think you're making Pennington's performance sound much worse than it was. If there is one person on this line that should be benched, it's Villarial.

How did Peters give up a sack? Four of the sacks were by DT's, who would be picked-up by the OG's and OC, and the other was by Kampman, who was going against Pennington.