Merriman to serve suspension

ricojes

Great, we'll have to face a well rested PO'd Merriman. Hopefully we have a little better showing against the bolts than last year!! That shouldn't be too difficult, right? :pirate:

San Diego Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman has dropped his appeal and will serve a four-game suspension for testing positive for a banned substance, the San Diego Union-Tribune reported Tuesday.

Merriman will miss the Chargers' next four games, against the Cleveland Browns, Cincinnati Bengals, Denver Broncos and Oakland Raiders. He will be eligible return against the Buffalo Bills on Dec. 3.

No if I get this right, he was allowed to play until the appeal was resolved or he dropped his appeal, right?

Does anyone think he may have only made the appeal so he could play in the last game and set it up so the games he misses are ones the Chargers will not miss him as much? I'm not sure of the Chargers schedule but this came to mind. Also is there any extra punishment for appealing and failing the appeal?

No if I get this right, he was allowed to play until the appeal was resolved or he dropped his appeal, right?

Does anyone think he may have only made the appeal so he could play in the last game and set it up so the games he misses are ones the Chargers will not miss him as much? I'm not sure of the Chargers schedule but this came to mind. Also is there any extra punishment for appealing and failing the appeal?

821317[/snapback]

Yes, you are exactly right. His hearing was scheduled for Nov. 7th and who knows how long a decision would have taken. After Buffalo, they play 3 straight division games. Don't know about the penaltly for a failed appeal though.

Chris Brown discussed this on his blog today.

MERRIMAN DROPS APPEAL: Well as I feared San Diego's Shawne Merriman has dropped his appeal of the four game suspension he was slapped with for having a banned steroid in his system. So now he'll miss the next four Chargers games against the Browns, Bengals, Broncos and Raiders. And when can he return to action? Dec. 3 at Buffalo. The only bright spot is fellow Chargers OLB Shaun Phillips who wreaked havoc in last year's matchup with Buffalo is out indefinitely with a calf injury and may not be able to play by Dec. 3.

821317[/snapback]

Ding Ding Ding. If he kept up his appeal (which he had no shot of winning), he would most likely have missed both Broncos games.

By appealing, he was able to play against a tough Rams Squad. He will now miss games against the Browns, Bengals, Raiders, and Broncos.

No penalty for failed appeal. CBA does not allow something to deter players from appealing.

821329[/snapback]

That makes sense, also agree that he had no chance of winning his appeal. Athletes take supplements at their own risk.

No penalty for failed appeal. CBA does not allow something to deter players from appealing.

821329[/snapback]

I don't know if it would keep guys from appealing, just keep the guys with weak arguements from appealing. Someone like Merrimen probably wouldn't have filed and appeal on the basis that the supplement (not on the NFL's approved list) was spiked with roids. Where as someone on a supplement on the approved list who has never taken any banned substance might still file because there might be a logical explanation.

Looking at San Diegos upcoming schedule, its looking like the appeal may have been planned to allow him to play in more critical games for the Chargers, and miss the weaker ones. Of those 4 games, they should have no problem if he missed games against the Browns, Raiders, and a banged up Bengals team, the Broncos game is probably the only one that he will be missed.

821317[/snapback]

thats kind of what he did, the Chargers are hurting at LB with the guy getting shot before the season and another getting hurt the week before in the KC game

no doubt he appealed just to play in the Rams game