The Sad Truth About Ralph Wilson

otterpops

It is great to see RW lament the lost five years of the Donohoe "error." But the sad truth is that blame rests squarely on Wilson's shoulders. Consider... In the entire history of the Bills post AFC/NFC merger they have had one truly great run--the 1990s Bills. That success was largely due to one person: Bill Polian. What happened to Bill Polian? Canned. While John Butler had a nice run, Wilson too drove him off along with A.J. Smith, the now successful GM of the now successful San Diego Chargers. I respect Marv Levy as much as anyone and I wish him the best but really this team has sunk to depths I never thought possible given the rabid fan base and semi-proud tradition. It's hard to imagine this getting better anytime soon.

Just as the Sabres couldn't really turn it around until solid ownership was secured I think that is the fate that awaits the Bills. Nothing in Wilson's history leads me to believe he will make the bold necessary moves (a proven coach, willingness to spend on a quality QB, etc.) to deliver a winner again. Even Polian was probably hired more due to monitary considerations than perceived talent.

It's great that Wilson has worked hard to ensure the Bills future in Buffalo. But as Taglibue said (something along the lines of): "The Bills long term success has more to due with who is quarterback than anything else." That statment, in the light of what is going on at One Bills Drive, makes me quite uneasy.

You've got that right. This is and what has been the problem all along!

It is great to see RW lament the lost five years of the Donohoe "error." But the sad truth is that blame rests squarely on Wilson's shoulders. Consider... In the entire history of the Bills post AFC/NFC merger they have had one truly great run--the 1990s Bills. That success was largely due to one person: Bill Polian. What happened to Bill Polian? Canned. While John Butler had a nice run, Wilson too drove him off along with A.J. Smith, the now successful GM of the now successful San Diego Chargers. I respect Marv Levy as much as anyone and I wish him the best but really this team has sunk to depths I never thought possible given the rabid fan base and semi-proud tradition. It's hard to imagine this getting better anytime soon.

Just as the Sabres couldn't really turn it around until solid ownership was secured I think that is the fate that awaits the Bills. Nothing in Wilson's history leads me to believe he will make the bold necessary moves (a proven coach, willingness to spend on a quality QB, etc.) to deliver a winner again. Even Polian was probably hired more due to monitary considerations than perceived talent.

It's great that Wilson has worked hard to ensure the Bills future in Buffalo. But as Taglibue said (something along the lines of): "The Bills long term success has more to due with who is quarterback than anything else." That statment, in the light of what is going on at One Bills Drive, makes me quite uneasy.

815586[/snapback]

It is great to see RW lament the lost five years of the Donohoe "error." But the sad truth is that blame rests squarely on Wilson's shoulders.

815586[/snapback]

What rests on the shoulders of the owners of CIN, MIN, NO, CLE, DET, SD, CAR, ATL, AZ, HOU, TEN, JAX, IND, and MIA? Some old teams, some newer. Some SB participants, some never.

I won't single out Ralph. All of those teams had their moments, but just didn't get the critical wins. An inch here, and inch there can change a game. Doesn't mean they were particularly imcompetent, or that they, team and owner, didn't give it a good try.

815586[/snapback]

Yup, and without Ralph Wilson, there would be no Buffalo Bills.

Go be a Toronto Argo's fan if you don't like what we have here you freak.

Dear buffalobillsfootball,

A tad defensive I see. Years of losing will do that. Instead of being so defensive, please refute what I have written. If you re-read the post you will see I do credit Ralph Wilson for keeping the Bills here. But lets be real about why this team is so bad. I hope I am wrong but I don't see how it really changes until there is new ownership. I for one am confident that when Ralph goes an owner will purchase the team and keept them in Buffalo. It's pretty sad that some Bills fans are in a place where they can't criticize their owner for fear he will move their team. Gotta go check out the Argos page!

Yup, and without Ralph Wilson, there would be no Buffalo Bills.

Go be a Toronto Argo's fan if you don't like what we have here you freak.

815926[/snapback]

You always going to worry about that crap. RW gonna take the team somewhere else, give me a break.

815586[/snapback]

99% agree---give Marv more time than 7 weeks---he is very slowly turning us into a solid team from the guys he piked up in the draft and OS, and gotten rid of the guys who have poor morale---give him about another two years

You always going to worry about that crap. RW gonna take the team somewhere else, give me a break.

Probably not take them somewhere else, but sell them to the highest bidder who doesn't CARE if they stay in Buffalo. And Ralph had chances to move the team in the past, but didn't, and ALL it would have taken was a phone call and the NFL would have gladly done everything else FOR him.

I am trying to understand why we shouldn't be grateful for Wilson keeping the team here. Ask fans in Cleveland, Baltimore, Houston and Los Angeles--significantly bigger markets--how easily those owners moved the beloved teams away.

The fact is that Ralph Wilson has kept the team here, voted against every other NFL relocation and has given Bills fans the cheapest tickets in the league. That his judgment with management hasn't always been good does not diminish these accomplishments.

Interestingly, I've heard a story about Ralph Wilsons' hiring of Bill Polian. As the story was related back to me, Bill Polian upon his first evaluation of where the franchise stood (player personnel), he told Ralph that he wasn't neccessarily being cheap, but that he was overpaying for inferior talent! I liken this episode to the present day. In my mind, Ralph has turned to Marv Levy for just that type of honesty with him and a diligent e v a l of the status of ALL the players currently employed by the Buffalo Bills. Marv will be allowed, IMO, to weed out the malcontents and inferior talent and bring in what this team truly needs, and that is talent and character! Plain and simple!! As some of you say... Get r' done Marv!! I personally think he will.

I am trying to understand why we shouldn't be grateful for Wilson keeping the team here. Ask fans in Cleveland, Baltimore, Houston and Los Angeles--significantly bigger markets--how easily those owners moved the beloved teams away.

The fact is that Ralph Wilson has kept the team here, voted against every other NFL relocation and has given Bills fans the cheapest tickets in the league. That his judgment with management hasn't always been good does not diminish these accomplishments.

816124[/snapback]

True, he could easily sell this franchise for a huge profit. I don't know the exact figures but I heard that RW got this team for peanuts. He actually is a rich man who cares about the city of Buffalo... but how long will it last?

True, he could easily sell this franchise for a huge profit.  I don't know the exact figures but I heard that RW got this team for peanuts.  He actually is a rich man who cares about the city of Buffalo... but how long will it last?

He bought the team for $25K and the latest Forbes valuation is $756M. He could easily get more from someone looking to move the team, say to LA. The ONLY reason he's still in Buffalo is because even with the money he's making, it's still a great return on his investment, and he actually cares about the Buffalo community. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a moron.

The fans would have run off Wade Phillips anyway, freak.

815929[/snapback]

Also, how many HC jobs has Phillips had since he left the bills.....

The fact of the matter is, Phillips was a great DC, but a very average HC.....He split the team with his handling of the Flutie/Johnson situation...

He bought the team for $25K and the latest Forbes valuation is $756M.  He could easily get more from someone looking to move the team, say to LA.  The ONLY reason he's still in Buffalo is because even with the money he's making, it's still a great return on his investment, and he actually cares about the Buffalo community.  Anyone who thinks otherwise is a moron.

816482[/snapback]

This is nonsense, with the league refusing to pony up 1,000,000,000.00 to build a stadium in the L.A. area, adding in the cost of buying, say the Bills for, 800,000,000.00........looks to me that the cost of placing a team in the L.A. market area has reached the point of BAD investment.....

Unless of course Bill Gates needs a new hobby, I don't see anyone willing to take that sort of gamble as it will be damn near impossible to turn a PROFIT.

The cost of buying and then relocating a team has already passed the point of good business investment, unless of course someone needs a new HOBBY.....

Hey L.A., get used to NO NFL FOOTBALL, the voters in cali. will never pay for the over inflated real estate that is needed to build the stadium and the billionare owners aren't paying either... :lol:

That success was largely due to one person: Bill Polian. What happened to Bill Polian? Canned. While John Butler had a nice run, Wilson too drove him off along with A.J. Smith, the now successful GM of the now successful San Diego Chargers.

Bravo.... Well said. I however though Butler was a bit overrated as his run was greatly enhanced by the strong foundation Polian had already poured.

This is nonsense, with the league refusing to pony up 1,000,000,000.00 to build a stadium in the L.A. area, adding in the cost of buying, say the Bills for, 800,000,000.00........looks to me that the cost of placing a team in the L.A. market area has reached the point of BAD investment.....

Unless of course Bill Gates needs a new hobby, I don't see anyone willing to take that sort of gamble as it will be damn near impossible to turn a PROFIT.

The cost of buying and then relocating a team has already passed the point of good business investment, unless of course someone needs a new HOBBY.....

Hey L.A., get used to NO NFL FOOTBALL, the voters in cali. will never pay for the over inflated real estate that is needed to build the stadium and the billionare owners aren't paying either... :lol:

816513[/snapback]

The cost to the team owner is much lower than you contend since the NFL will extort a new stadium from the taxpayers at minimal cost to the ownership group.

Taxpayers are morons who love the next boondoggle.