Chances Are That There Will Not Be a

So ASSUMING Losman does not get any better in the next 4-5 games, don't you have to put Nall in there to see if you need to go to the draft for a QB. I have not had a chance to watch too much college football this year. Is Quinn still looking like he knows how to manage a game? Is he still regarded as the #1 in college. Are there other QBs coming out of college (Michigan, Ohio State) that are of that calliber?

I know the Bills need to get some serious Oline help but don't you think that would serve well in free agency and 2nd round. Buffalo needs a QB and like it or not, it is going to have to be addressed in the draft at some point.

How many more games do you give JP (seriously) - this needs to be answered BEFORE the end of the year - Not the off season

The stupidest thing the Bills could do is draft a QB in the first round this year. Build the line first. Get a good #2 receiver. Get a good TE. Build the infrastructure that is needed for a young QB to succeed before you bring in the young QB. Don't put cart before horse.

JP will get the rest of the snaps this year.  If he does not work out, it'll be the Craig Nall show and a draft choice....

814481[/snapback]

So if you hand it over to Craig Nall, does that mean you still go for a QB in the first round? What if Nall can lead this team? Those first round draft choices are like gold. You need to find out by the end of the year if Nall has a chance. The last thing I want to do is spend another year guessing if the Bills have a QB but if you have a shot at somebody like Quinn, you have to put some serious thought into it

The stupidest thing the Bills could do is draft a QB in the first round this year.  Build the line first.  Get a good #2 receiver.  Get a good TE.  Build the infrastructure that is needed for a young QB to succeed before you bring in the young QB.  Don't put cart before horse.

814488[/snapback]

You said it best. If we bring in another young QB without the essential tools then his fate is the same as JP right now. This has been said numerous times before but we really need to get a good OL.

Brady Quinn sucks, dude. Okay, maybe that's harsh. But he's not worth a first rounder. He's not all that accurate and he doesn't have that strong an arm. If he fell to the second round, maybe, but if you spend a first rounder on a QB, you want everything in place. Besides, we have to build the infrastructure first and I doubt the Bills will be in position to draft him anyway.

I just want to make sure I am following all of your logic:

We need to decide now if we have a quarterback because there are no good ones in free agency next year, but Quinn is an option even though you haven't seen him play, but it's clear that Jauron is as bad as you feared he would be, however it's good the Bills suck and the outside world considers them total garbage because now you can pay attention to the Sabres because no one will talk about the Bills, so we should consider Nall, even though he hasn't played, but we need to do something because if we don't do something than obviously nothing will work.

Okay, so then assuming nothing happens as you think it should happen in the next 4-5 games, then the team should start doing all kinds of other things -- like changing quarterbacks and head coaches -- until something happens that you think should happen, but if the team does nothing and eventually becomes successful than you'll have to hear about it on the radio and then no one will be discussing the Sabres and you're right back where you started.

Gotta tell you. After reading your stuff since yesterday, the only thing I've come to learn is that it must absolutely, positively suck to be you.

The stupidest thing the Bills could do is draft a QB in the first round this year. 

814488[/snapback]

I understand the thought, but beware. Marv will probably take a corner first, very likely 2 in the first 3 rounds. Another safety shouldn't shock anyone either.

Marv might not even be able to remember how many DBs he drafted in 06, and we will be losing Clements in all probability.

We should hope that he doesn't trade away picks to bolster up the secondary.

Or, we should hope that he walks away.

Matt Schaub is a RFA. I'd take a run at him.

814483[/snapback]

Yes he is, but Atlanta is on some bulls*** with that guy. They wanted a first round pick for him when people were trying to get him this past off-season. I wonder what kind of pick they will be trying to say you have to give up to get him. They want to get a 1st round pick for a guy that they aren't even starting. I wouldn't even give them a 2nd rounder. I would however be willing to part with a 3rd rounder for him. I think that's what he was drafted in anyway. We probably would also need to word the contract funny, like the Vikes did with Hutchinson, so we could get him :doh:

We had the chance this year with Leinart.  The fact we did not pick him, when he fell into our laps more then anything should tell us that Losman needs the full year before we toss him aside.

Right now I am indifferent.

814502[/snapback]

Everyone needs to get off of this Leinart bullcrap just because he has one decent game against the Bears. Did anyone see the game against the Raiders D that he had yesterday? Leinart is not the QB we should've taken. We should've taken Jay Cutler if we were going to select a QB in last year's draft. Cutler will be a better pro QB than Leinart. Cutler is like Elway with his game that he brings and Leinart is like Boomer Esiason. Honestly, who would you rather have? I'd take Cutler.

Everyone needs to get off of this Leinart bullcrap just because he has one decent game against the Bears. Did anyone see the game against the Raiders D that he had yesterday? Leinart is not the QB we should've taken. We should've taken Jay Cutler if we were going to select a QB in last year's draft. Cutler will be a better pro QB than Leinart. Cutler is like Elway with his game that he brings and Leinart is like Boomer Esiason. Honestly, who would you rather have? I'd take Cutler.

814522[/snapback]

I just stated the opportunity was there to draft a QB when a top 5 player fell in their lap. I don't really want to discuss who is better (Cutler or Leinart). The point is 2 Blue-chippers were available. Could have had a Brees/Rivers combo. Remember Brees time in SD was almost up when they drafted Rivers and he responded with 2 great years.

Did not see SD trade down in 2004....

See McGahee drafted @ 24.

I understand the thought, but beware. Marv will probably take a corner first, very likely 2 in the first 3 rounds. Another safety shouldn't shock anyone either.

Marv might not even be able to remember how many DBs he drafted in 06, and we will be losing Clements in all probability.

We should hope that he doesn't trade away picks to bolster up the secondary.

Or, we should hope that he walks away.

814507[/snapback]

Thats the scary part.If Clements leaves, that leaves Magee as our #1 CB,and his steller play got him benched yesterday.He gets smoked at CB and couldnt cover anybody.Keep him for ST but find someone else to play corner opposite Clements He shouldnt be on the defense.

For an ND alum, I am actually not that high on Brady Quinn. I had my issues with him his sophomore year and his junior year before he suddenly looked like Peyton Manning. But I was partially blinded by his and the team's unexpected success. He still has the same faults he's always had. He can't throw the deep ball (arm strength is fine, accuracy is not) and he has complete brain farts every now and then. Then this year he has struggled with his touch on short passes at times. A lot of this has had to do with the O-line taking a major (unexpected) step backwards this year. He has been hurried and hassled way too often. Plus we have had an erratic (at best) running game leaving the pressure almost completely on him and the passing game.

Having said all that, I think he will have the most success of any QB coming out this year, at least intially. Just like Matt Leinart, he played in pro-style offense with an experienced OC (in this case one with Super Bowl credentials). He will understand the pro game much easier and more quickly than his rookie counterparts. He has a chance to have early success, even if the talent around him is not at an all-star level (see Roethlisberger, Ben).

He will struggle with a bad O-line (just as any QB though). He can move in the pocket but he is no Mike Vick (or even JP Losman) when it comes to running ability. I would love to have him here if (1) Losman is not the answer (which I hope he is) and (2) He was not projected to be a top 5 pick. I think he is worth a mid-low 1st rounder, but he will never last there (and we may not either).

So ASSUMING Losman does not get any better in the next 4-5 games, don't you have to put Nall in there to see if you need to go to the draft for a QB. I have not had a chance to watch too much college football this year. Is Quinn still looking like he knows how to manage a game? Is he still regarded as the #1 in college. Are there other QBs coming out of college (Michigan, Ohio State) that are of that calliber?

I know the Bills need to get some serious Oline help but don't you think that would serve well in free agency and 2nd round. Buffalo needs a QB and like it or not, it is going to have to be addressed in the draft at some point.

How many more games do you give JP (seriously) - this needs to be answered BEFORE the end of the year - Not the off season

814478[/snapback]

If you ask me about Jp the question has already been answered.HE CANT PLAY.He is INCOMPENTENT and lacks leadership skills.Marv didnt realize how bad/dumb this guy is when he passed on Leinhart

For an ND alum, I am actually not that high on Brady Quinn.  I had my issues with him his sophomore year and his junior year before he suddenly looked like Peyton Manning.  But I was partially blinded by his and the team's unexpected success.  He still has the same faults he's always had.  He can't throw the deep ball (arm strength is fine, accuracy is not) and he has complete brain farts every now and then.  Then this year he has struggled with his touch on short passes at times.

814546[/snapback]

Thanks for the scouting report on Quinn. I probably haven't watched nearly as many ND games as you but my thoughts are similar. He's hardly the most pinpoint QB out there and I think his stock could plummet some by the time April rolls around.

The most accurate QB I've seen this year is actually a kid from Hawaii named Colt Brennan. He's only a junior but could possibly declare. If he doesn't and stays another year, I'd look for him to possibly be a top 15 pick in the 2008 draft.

The stupidest thing the Bills could do is draft a QB in the first round this year.  Build the line first.  Get a good #2 receiver.  Get a good TE.  Build the infrastructure that is needed for a young QB to succeed before you bring in the young QB.  Don't put cart before horse.

814488[/snapback]

I have been thinking this very thought since early in the 2nd quarter yesterday. This is what the powers that be should be focusing on. Of course, I am not very smart.

kj

Matt Schaub is a RFA. I'd take a run at him.

814483[/snapback]

From your lips to Marv's ears. The guy is a straight-up pro quarterback.

(DISCLAIMER (for the benefit of the JP police): This endorsement of Matt Schaub does not necessarily constitute an expression of the opinion that JP Losman is not qualified to start at quarterback for the Buffalo Bills in 2007, nor does it imply that JP Losman and poor play at the quarterback position are the only, or even the primary, reason that the 2006 Bills stink on toast.)