I spoke to Sal Paolantonio of ESPN in

MattF2000

So I recently went back to my college for alumni weekend and we have this athletic dinner every year where some athletes get inducted into the college's hall of fame. Every year there is a guest speaker as well. I saw Jeremy Schaap two years ago, Jim Boeheim last year, and this year was Sal Paolantonio (his daughter goes to the school) So it was half way through the dinner, and Sal was getting ready to speak so I went up to him and said "Sal, so whats the deal with the Buffalo Bills? Are we going to be any good, is Marv the answer, what do you think of Losman?" So he responds quickly, and I think partially joking to bust my balls, but he says "They suck".. he said Marv's not the answer, and he said Losman is a young qb that is getting better. When I brought my friend over (who's a patriots fan) to have Sal tell him this about Losman, Sal then tells my friend Losman is terrible. Now throughout this we were laughing and Sal was definitely joking around with me and trying to get a rise out of me. But at the same time I'd say it's pretty apparent that he, and most of the media, still do not think the Bills are on the right track with Marv and Losman etc. From there on I became known as the Buffalo fan throughout the dinner. At the end he allowed people in the audience to ask some questions. One lady asked what the steelers need to do to win a game. Sal responded with "Play the Buffalo Bills" and then did his ESPN sign off. That got a rise out of the crowd again because at that point everyone had knew about the conversation Sal and I had. Overall though he was a great speaker, real cool guy, got to get a picture with him after and he told my friends and I to make sure we took a cab and not to drive.

Thought some Bills fans would find that to be an interesting conversation. I think most of us know we're not a great team. I found it interesting that the consensus in the media still seems to think Marv is incompetent and we're headed no where over the next few years. I disagree with that.

My initial thoughts:

Wait, Sal took his head out of Andy Reid's ass long enough to make a speech? That's news in itself.

Or...was it hard to understand Sal's words while trying to speak with McNabb's **** in his mouth?

In all seriousness, it's great that you were able to have that conversation, but Marv Levy (no matter what he does in his career from this point forward) has done enough in this league (with so much class I might add) that using the word incompetent to describe him takes away any credibility that person has.

My initial thoughts:

Wait, Sal took his head out of Andy Reid's ass long enough to make a speech? That's news in itself.

Or...was it hard to understand Sal's words while trying to speak with McNabb's **** in his mouth?

In all seriousness, it's great that you were able to have that conversation, but Marv Levy (no matter what he does in his career from this point forward) has done enough in this league (with so much class I might add) that using the word incompetent to describe him takes away any credibility that person has.

811938[/snapback]

Just to clarify something, Sal never said Marv was incompetent. He just said No when I asked if Marv was the answer. I think I used the word incompetent to describe what the media in general seems to think of Marv. (especially his draft).. As for the Eagles.. Funny you mention them. Sal donated a football autographed by Brian Dawkins that was put up for auction. He also said he was thankful he didn't have to talk about TO for one weekend.

Just to clarify something, Sal never said Marv was incompetent.  He just said No when I asked if Marv was the answer.  I think I used the word incompetent to describe what the media in general seems to think of Marv.  (especially his draft).. As for the Eagles.. Funny you mention them.  Sal donated a football autographed by Brian Dawkins that was put up for auction.  He also said he was thankful he didn't have to talk about TO for one weekend.

811977[/snapback]

It's always a nice opportunity when you have a chance to speak with someone like that, but what the heck does he know anyway? I think he hates the entire AFC. He's probably still angry about the AFL/NFL merger.

It's always a nice opportunity when you have a chance to speak with someone like that, but what the heck does he know anyway?  I think he hates the entire AFC.  He's probably still angry about the AFL/NFL merger.

812004[/snapback]

Like most of the folks on this board, I've watched far too much ESPN for far too many years. My not-so-humble opinion of the entire network is that they've really begun taking themselves far too seriously. And I don't mean "lately", I mean for pretty much all of recent memory.

And since that's all I have left, let's walk down Memory Lane for a moment. Sal Paolantonio (sp?) was the lucky guy who typically drew the "Arizona-Detroit" matchup. It was an internal joke at ESPN about 10 years ago! Here's the depressing news - both of those franchises STILL suck after 10 years. The reason he carries McNabb's "WOOF" up his butt is that he's just so grateful that he's no longer tasked with barking about Matt Millen's Vision Of The Future.

Good for Sal. Everyone gets his/her 15 minutes of fame, and his has run over its limit by about 9 years. It sure as $#!+ doesn't make him an expert on anything. Let's all deal with it - we're rebuilding. Is Marv the answer? Ask yourself this - would you rather have Marv where he is, or would you rather have TD? We perhaps would have drafted Leinhart (sp?....but I don't give a rat's @$$), but would be looking at yet another year of ignoring the DL. I'm getting off the subject here, I guess, but my point is that these people are about as knowledgeable as you and me. Which is to say, of course, that they probably couldn't manage a Pop Warner game without throwing a clot. Who really cares what a "B-team" ESPN reporter says about anything? :blink:

Awesome! I am a junior at Ithaca College currently and got to see Sal speak earlier this year (I also got to talk with Bob Iger, Walt Disney president, and Bob Kur of NBC News last Thursday). The Roy H. Park School at Ithaca is my life.

It's truly disheartening to think that the national media has been treating Marv as a pushover thus far. In the beginning, I thought his reemergence would boost the view of this franchise. But I suppose we need to win consistenly before we gain any, well...consistent respect.

Like most of the folks on this board, I've watched far too much ESPN for far too many years.  My not-so-humble opinion of the entire network is that they've really begun taking themselves far too seriously.  And I don't mean "lately", I mean for pretty much all of recent memory.

And since that's all I have left, let's walk down Memory Lane for a moment.  Sal Paolantonio (sp?) was the lucky guy who typically drew the "Arizona-Detroit" matchup.  It was an internal joke at ESPN about 10 years ago!  Here's the depressing news - both of those franchises STILL suck after 10 years.  The reason he carries McNabb's "WOOF" up his butt is that he's just so grateful that he's no longer tasked with barking about Matt Millen's Vision Of The Future.

Good for Sal.  Everyone gets his/her 15 minutes of fame, and his has run over its limit by about 9 years.  It sure as $#!+ doesn't make him an expert on anything.  Let's all deal with it - we're rebuilding.  Is Marv the answer?  Ask yourself this - would you rather have Marv where he is, or would you rather have TD?  We perhaps would have drafted Leinhart (sp?....but I don't give a rat's @$$), but would be looking at yet another year of ignoring the DL.  I'm getting off the subject here, I guess, but my point is that these people are about as knowledgeable as you and me.  Which is to say, of course, that they probably couldn't manage a Pop Warner game without throwing a clot.  Who really cares what a "B-team" ESPN reporter says about anything? :o

812018[/snapback]

It doesn't stop when they leave espn either. Keith Olberman is an insufferable, unwatchable bore.