Buffalo Braves

Playoff game - Braves vs Celtics - series 3-2 celts 1:50 remaining. Braves down 10. Big Mac scores down 8, Smith steals and scores down 6. Celts miss braves score and are fouled down 3. Another score down 1.

Celtics bringing ball in from side. McAdoo swoops in steals and scores. Totally awesome Braves by "one" 3 seconds left Jo jo white shot goes up rejected by McAdoo right back at Jo Jo, buzzer goes off as Jo -jo goes up to shoot again. Braves win to force game 7. Not. Referee rules ball was in the air before buzzer, shot goes in, we lose. Replays showed he never got the ball up until the buzzer and shot clock both showed no time. 1975 or 1976.

We were getting screwed even back then.

Playoff game - Braves vs Celtics - series 3-2 celts 1:50 remaining. Braves down 10. Big Mac scores down 8, Smith steals and scores down 6. Celts miss braves score and are fouled down 3. Another score down 1.

Celtics bringing ball in from side. McAdoo swoops in steals and scores. Totally awesome Braves by "one" 3 seconds left Jo jo white shot goes up rejected by McAdoo right back at Jo Jo, buzzer goes off as Jo -jo  goes up to shoot again. Braves win to force game 7. Not. Referee rules ball was in the air before buzzer, shot goes in, we lose. Replays showed he never got the ball up until the buzzer and shot clock both showed no time. 1975 or 1976.

803514[/snapback]

Ugh. I was there with my Dad. I could not believe it. We have never had good luck with the refs.

You guys are awesome. I was curious about some Buffalo Braves stories but couldn't imagine they would be this good. You were all so lucky to see the Braves in person. I wish they could have kept the team in Buffalo and didn't make some of those ridiculous trades. Can you imagine a young McAdoo, Malone, Dantley, Randy Smith, etc..... on the same team? I don't care how much money was involved, when you have a chance to bring a championship to a city like Buffalo, YOU GO FOR IT!

The city of Buffalo will be ROCKING IN SPRING OF 2007 WHEN THE SABRES BRING HOME THE STANLEY CUP!!! :doh:

BRING BACK THE BRAVES WHILE YOUR AT IT!

Celtics bringing ball in from side. McAdoo swoops in steals and scores. Totally awesome Braves by "one" 3 seconds left Jo jo white shot goes up rejected by McAdoo right back at Jo Jo, buzzer goes off as Jo -jo  goes up to shoot again. Braves win to force game 7. Not. Referee rules ball was in the air before buzzer, shot goes in, we lose. Replays showed he never got the ball up until the buzzer and shot clock both showed no time. 1975 or 1976.

803514[/snapback]

I was at that game.....it was in the Aud and it was Havlichek inbounding....

803514[/snapback]

I echo many of the great thoughts here about Randy Smith, Ernie D and McAdoo.

Here's a strange memory that I have from the Braves days: The Braves had a Center named Swen Nater. He was a stiff but he had a strange ritual. Before each game he would lace his wedding band into his sneakers. I remember being at a game in the Reds and focusing my binoculars on his sneakers and sure enough there was the wedding band.

It didn't make him a better player, but it did make him a good husband.

Here's a strange memory that I have from the Braves days: The Braves had a Center named Swen Nater. He was a stiff but he had a strange ritual. Before each game he would lace his wedding band into his sneakers. I remember being at a game in the Reds and focusing my binoculars on his sneakers and sure enough there was the wedding band.

803990[/snapback]

The Braves franchise did survive in some fashion after sold and I believe became the franchise known as the LA Clippers in a very indirect route.

Braves went to conference finals one year against the 76ers I think and gave them everything they could handle. Starting 5 was McAdoo, Garfield Heard, Jim MacMillan, Ernie D and Randy Smith as I recall. That was a great team for a couple years and Jack Ramsey was a terrific coach.

I once sat at the broadcast table next to Van Miller for a half of a game. Had the opportunity as my Dad's company was a radio advertiser on WBEN Radio back then and they did this for advertisers from time to time. I was 12 years old and Van gave me a meaningless job of tracking commercials after they were aired to make sure that each sponsor's ad was run in the correct sequence. Of couse I had no cotrol over the ads that were running. That seat was at the right end of the player's bench and I met several of the players during the pregame and held of few sweaty towels during the first half. A great experience then. Really missed the team after they left town.

Long time lurker whom seldom posts.

There are some very nice memories of the Braves being shared here. Names I haven't thought of for some time. The Braves team that played Philly was my favorite group of Braves and Ramsey our best coach.

John Y. Brown was not one of my favorite people back then. It was painful to watch the dismantling of a once promising franchise. We had some very good teams and great players. My two older brothers bought season tickets, first row, center court orange, great seats. Attendance wasn't the reason the Braves moved. Games were well attended by supportative fans. My brothers were 16 + 19 old students at the time so it was affordable too. I'm glad I had the chance to see Walt Frasier, Havlichek, McAdoo, Dr. J, West, Chamberlin before the Braves were sold off. Whenever I hear the phrase "Greed is Good" it makes me think of John Y. Brown. I would have loved to have seen Jordan, Bird, Johnson, etc. in Buffalo. College is the only basketball I watch now.

God, thanks for opening old memories, I remember getting into the aud and working our way to the court level seats, Seeing Karrem, Big O and the Bucks, the Pistol, Connie Hawkins, the Aud was alive. The city was screwed when that team left, Buffalo loved

the Braves.

All I can find on it is that they got him for a first round pick from Portland, he played the two games of a couple minutes, and then they traded him for two first round picks. I know there was some cash also in the deal, which I thought was one million, but perhaps not. Because the deal that John Y made with Paul Snyder was that Brown could pocket any cash he got from selling players. He sold (very good player) Jim MacMillan and got cash, he sold McAdoo for John Gianelli and cash.

John freakin' Gianelli. :D

My stepdad had seasons as well, and I think he STILL hasn't forgiven Snyder and Brown. The official reason given for moving Malone? He wasn't good enough to make the team. Yeah, riiiiiiight.

I really miss the Braves!

I always thought they should have done more to sign BOTH Bob Lanier AND Calvin Murphy.  The both played during the Randy Smith era and would have rocked the AUD if they ever played on the same team!  ;)

I don't believe the Pistons ever let Bona Bob hit free agency. The Braves were already in California by the time he got sick of Dickie V's losing tenure in Detroit and requested a trade during the 79-80 season.

803990[/snapback]

One of the old photoes I still have is the "giant" Swen Nater carrying in his arms Nate "Tiny" Archibald off the court after Nate blew out his knee.. It looks like one of us holding a small child