Any horse racing fans?

BoondckCL

Top 3 horses this year racing in America

1. Bernardini

2. Discrete Cat

3. Henny Hughes

802774[/snapback]

Hard to argue that. All three are owned by the al-Maktoum family. They have spent a REDICULOUS amount of money in this year's yearling sales as well- they are looking to take over American horse racing and dominate the major races.

Hard to leave Lava Man out of that group, but hard to replace any one of those three. Looking at speed numbers, Lava Man has certainly been slower than Bernarini this year, but he's still 7-for-7 against mostly Grade I talent. He has torched the California competition, but his performances have not been exceptional outside of Cali. Nonetheless, he has found a way to win. I expect they ship him to Churchill well before the BC to make sure he's acclimated. Lava Man will have to run an amazing race to beat Bernardini (and Invasor for that matter) but I'll be pulling for him.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bet Twice. 

Does anybody remember that horse?  I don't know much about it but my dad was big into the ponies and that name always stuck out...

802788[/snapback]

Absolutely. He was a great horse and another Triple Crown spoiler at the Belmont.

My favorite horse name though was one I bet on once in the mid '80 called 'PeacethroughStrength'

Have you ever been to Saratoga?

My dad and I took the trip up there a few years ago. It's absolutely beautiful.

I live like 20 minutes from Monmouth Park. That place is real nice too!-

802637[/snapback]

Have i ever been to Saratoga?

I live 20 minutes away and my mom is the head doctor for the course...no i have never been. <_< Not being an ass, just sarcasm. But really, i was born on August 23rd and up at the track by Travers Day.

But the best name i have ever seen for a horse that i thought was a great name...Slewicide. That name is just a great name for a horse due to the fact that it also mixes his pedegree into the name. Another great name is War Emblem. Just seemed like the only horse in recent years that has a name that fits winning the Tripple Crown.

But i revised my list, and i would have to go with these horses but not in this particular order.

Cigar

Lemon Drop Kid

Runaway Groom

Affirmed

Ten Most Wanted

Seattle Slew

Scorpion and Free of Love (My first big win...$350 exacta at the age of 15).

Yes you ill-cultured fool. sarcasm.

Horse racing has always been big in certain circles and if you live in New York you are living pretty damn close to one of, if not the best well known race track in the world. Saratoga was actually ranked 9th in the country as a place where you have to watch a sporting event. I forget where i saw the ranking, but it is definately one of the most historicaly important places in New York in terms of sporting events.

It is a great sport and i suggest you get involved, great times can be had during a day at the track. Imagine a really long tailgate, with all the beer you can drink inside the track itself, and you have the chance to win money and get almost as involved with the gaming then you do at a Bills game.

802476[/snapback]

I do live in NY and I still hear almost nothing about it. I dont get it. You watch horses run, while these little men sit on top of them and beat them with a whip. How is that fun? Is their drama? Does the jockey and the horse get into it in the locker rooms? Press conferences after the race? The horse just stands there and chews hey? Well anyway, you get my point.

I think I see horse racing on ESPN about once every 6 months.

I do live in NY and I still hear almost nothing about it. I dont get it. You watch horses run, while these little men sit on top of them and beat them with a whip. How is that fun? Is their drama? Does the jockey and the horse get into it in the locker rooms? Press conferences after the race? The horse just stands there and chews hey? Well anyway, you get my point.

I think I see horse racing on ESPN about once every 6 months.

802956[/snapback]

It's easy to avoid threads you don't care about.

Hard to argue that.  All three are owned by the al-Maktoum family.  They have spent a REDICULOUS amount of money in this year's yearling sales as well- they are looking to take over American horse racing and dominate the major races.

Hard to leave Lava Man out of that group, but hard to replace any one of those three.  Looking at speed numbers, Lava Man has certainly been slower than Bernarini this year, but he's still 7-for-7 against mostly Grade I talent.  He has torched the California competition, but his performances have not been exceptional outside of Cali.  Nonetheless, he has found a way to win.  I expect they ship him to Churchill well before the BC to make sure he's acclimated.  Lava Man will have to run an amazing race to beat Bernardini (and Invasor for that matter) but I'll be pulling for him.

802782[/snapback]

Sounds like we have a lot in common...Bills fans...like the ponies <_<

I agree with you on Lava Man. He has been sensational this year but his speed figures are off from his best efforts last summer. In addition he does not ship well at all-his races outside California have been clunkers. Could it be because outside of California he is not allowed to race with Bute?

I got the feeling that Ivasor was trying to duck Bernardini in the JCGC and he comes in the BC with no prep and will still likely be the second or third favorite. My longshot for the Classic would be Sun King.

Sure but how does that answer my question about why people like horses running in circles?  <_<

802990[/snapback]

Its the money involved, the anticipation, the tradition, and the friends you make while getting incredibly sloshed and watching the races.

Its like NASCAR without rednecks and girlfriends with black eyes.

Alydar/Affirmed for our generation.  1989 was an amazing year in racing.  I was rooting for Sunday Silence, but you have to like Easy Goer avenging his father by spoiling the Triple Crown.

802790[/snapback]

No doubt those two were great but top to bottom of the 3YO division, I'll go with 1987.

I went to the Travers that year. All of the following were in it:

Java Gold (winner)

Alysheba

Bet Twice

Gulch

Cryptoclearence

Polish Navy

Temperate Sil

Gulch had an entrymate that was a rabbit. I think that was the whole field.

Top 3 horses this year racing in America

1. Bernardini

2. Discrete Cat

3. Henny Hughes

Hard to argue that. All three are owned by the al-Maktoum family. They have spent a REDICULOUS amount of money in this year's yearling sales as well- they are looking to take over American horse racing and dominate the major races.

Hard to leave Lava Man out of that group, but hard to replace any one of those three. Looking at speed numbers, Lava Man has certainly been slower than Bernarini this year, but he's still 7-for-7 against mostly Grade I talent. He has torched the California competition, but his performances have not been exceptional outside of Cali. Nonetheless, he has found a way to win. I expect they ship him to Churchill well before the BC to make sure he's acclimated. Lava Man will have to run an amazing race to beat Bernardini (and Invasor for that matter) but I'll be pulling for him.

802782[/snapback]

I'll take a shot at arguing it although I like all three horses.

1. Bernardini - No argument at all. It will be interesting to see him if/when he is pushed. I won't bet against him.

2. Discreet Cat - I liked his chances in the Derby if he came over (he didn't). With that said, he has not been pushed at all. There is a good chance he will falter against top competition.

3. Henny Hughes - Great sprinter but I've seen a million top sprinters falter late in the season. Lost in the Fog did just last year. Anybody remember a horse named Groovy? Trust me, Henny Hughes has not yet done half of what Groovy did. Groovy faltered in the BC. The BC Sprint will be grueling. Henny may hold up but there is usually money to be made on a closer rounding into sprint form (Greeley's Galaxy?) In any event, I am hard pressed to ever put a sprinter in the top 3.

802782[/snapback]

3. Henny Hughes - Great sprinter but I've seen a million top sprinters falter late in the season. Lost in the Fog did just last year. Anybody remember a horse named Groovy? Trust me, Henny Hughes has not yet done half of what Groovy did. Groovy faltered in the BC. The BC Sprint will be grueling. Henny may hold up but there is usually money to be made on a closer rounding into sprint form (Greeley's Galaxy?) In any event, I am hard pressed to ever put a sprinter in the top 3.

803045[/snapback]

Lion Heart.

John Henry

Real Quiet

Queen Elizabetta (cheap claimer but my first win as a groom)

Forego

Seattle Slew

Now everybody knows that Secretariat is the best horse to ever run in an American horse race...ever; but i think it would be interesting to look at people's FAVORITE thoroughbreds and who knows, turn this thread into every other thread on this board with people insulting each other.

Lemon Drop Kid

Cigar

802400[/snapback]

Henny Hughes is a looker and Lava Man is for real, but both of those guys have gone off form before. Bernardini is simply the best horse I have ever seen. He has it all..speed, stamina, class, pedigree...and he gets better as he goes. Too bad he is only going to run one more race. If he wins by anything less than 2-3 lengths I will be disappointed.

There is a weak sprint division this year. Henny looks amazing physically, but his numbers aren't that of a dominant horse.

My best wagers usually lead me to my favorite horses....

Thunder Gulch, Cherokee Run, You, and Afleet Alex.

If you gave a Wonderlic test to Afleet Alex, I'd say there is 2-5 chance he would beat McGahee.