Schobel

Schobel is not an elite player by any means and its has been pretty much understood that most of his sacks come in garbage time

803411[/snapback]

It is definitely wrong to say that most of his sacks come in garbage time. First off, when you say garbage time, do you mean when the Bills are so far ahead that it's obvious the opponent needs to pass, and the outcome of the game is already pretty certain? ? ? ? Which games were those?

2005 6 of 17 sacks came in Bills victories

2004 5 of 8 sacks came in Bills victories

2003 5 of 11.5 sacks came in Bills victories

too lazy to check 2002 and 2001...

I DO see Schobel getting more than half of his sacks from persistence more than a dominant first move, but there's nothing wrong with that.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll grant your point about Paup benefiting from the good play of those around him.  But Paup wasn't the only Buffalo Bill to play on the same team as Bruce Smith.  He was, however, the only Bill to get 17 1/2 sacks in a single season.  He was named defensive MVP for the NFL in the process.  If being on the same team as Bruce Smith made those accomplishments easy, why didn't the other outside linebackers who've played with Bruce Smith achieve the same things?  The bottom line is that Paup had an absolutely monster season for the Bills.

803213[/snapback]

you mean Bruce never got 19 sacks in 1990? Cuz i think so

Those sacks don't count, because they were in garbage time.  :huh:  Just kidding--I actually didn't realize how many sacks Bruce had achieved that year.  Good find.

803725[/snapback]

thx, yea i was wondering what you meant about paup being the only guy getting 17 sacks in a season, but i do agree with you Paup was a monster for the bills defense, and likely would have done well w/o the help of bruce on the other side (not to say that he didn't benefit from that).

It is definitely wrong to say that most of his sacks come in garbage time.  First off, when you say garbage time, do you mean when the Bills are so far ahead that it's obvious the opponent needs to pass, and the outcome of the game is already pretty certain?  ?  ?  ?  Which games were those? 

2005 6 of 17 sacks came in Bills victories

2004 5 of 8 sacks came in Bills victories

2003 5 of 11.5 sacks came in Bills victories

too lazy to check 2002 and 2001...

I DO see Schobel getting more than half of his sacks from persistence more than a dominant first move, but there's nothing wrong with that.

803546[/snapback]

Garbage time as in sacks forced by good coverage, he rarely beats his blocker and blows up a play he usually cant get to the QB until the QB runs out of options and he picks him up