McCargo hurt

I think that seeing someone play at you're local school for several years and watching the team closely is a pretty good resume to form an opinion about a player.

799783[/snapback]

Yes it is...within reason.

To make judgement of 'bust' after only 5 NFL games is highly, highly premature....particularly when the player has not exactly looked out of their depth. DTs often take 3 years to develop...just like most NFL players of any possition.

I knew that the standard scouting methods for the NFL were wrong. Obviously the best method is to ask the local fans of each area what their opinions are since they watch every game of each players college career. Then it's simply a matter of selecting the 'fan favourites'. Why has nobody thought of this before? :lol:

To make judgement of 'bust' after only 5 NFL games is highly, highly premature....particularly when the player has not exactly looked out of their depth.  DTs often take 3 years to develop...just like most NFL players of any possition.

800451[/snapback]

I agree that it is too early to label McCargo a "bust."

Do you think it is too early to label any other picks (on any team) as great choices?

Go figure that a guy who couldn't stay healthy in college now can't stay healthy in the NFL. McCargo's broken foot could possibly keep him out the rest of this season if they don't handle the injury properly. And a guy that big, if he came back too early, trying to overcompensate on the healthy side could end up worse off than before.

To make judgement of 'bust' after only 5 NFL games is highly, highly premature....particularly when the player has not exactly looked out of their depth.  DTs often take 3 years to develop...just like most NFL players of any possition.

I knew that the standard scouting methods for the NFL were wrong.  Obviously the best method is to ask the local fans of each area what their opinions are since they watch every game of each players college career.  Then it's simply a matter of selecting the 'fan favourites'.  Why has nobody thought of this before? :lol:

800451[/snapback]

I'm not saying he's a bust, but when someone gets called out for having an opinion on a player i think it's unjustified to say that they don't know what they're talking about without knowing why they say what they do. If I watch a guy play college ball up close for 25 - 35 games thats a significant body of work to be able to form an opinion. It's not Joe Fan saying "i've seen 5 games from McGargo in the NFL and I think he's a bust". Just because you're not employed in an NFL scouting department doesn't mean you don't know what you're talking about.

I knew that the standard scouting methods for the NFL were wrong.  Obviously the best method is to ask the local fans of each area what their opinions are since they watch every game of each players college career.  Then it's simply a matter of selecting the 'fan favourites'.  Why has nobody thought of this before? :lol:

800451[/snapback]

But it is okay to label Simpson and Whitner great picks based off of 4 games? 6 on one hand, half a dozen on the other, can't have it both ways.

I agree that it is too early to label McCargo a "bust."

Do you think it is too early to label any other picks (on any team) as great choices?

800507[/snapback]

But it is okay to label Simpson and Whitner great picks based off of 4 games? 6 on one hand, half a dozen on the other, can't have it both ways.

800560[/snapback]

Actually, to a point, you can have it both ways. Keep in mind that the opposite of 'bust' in this regard is not 'great pick'.

Typically in the NFL, players take multiple years to develop into solid players(or better)(or not). A player might simply 'not get it' for a few years & then the lights go on....thus becoming a good player. This should be expected as the norm...particularly with later draft picks. Even when the player looks totally out of their depth ala JPL last season, they often 'get it' a little later. In the case of McGargo, it is not even the case where he has looked out of his depth. He has looked like a decent 1st round DT rookie....not special looking yet but certainly not out of his depth.

If a player comes out and produces at levels akin to a solid starter....say...within 4 games, it is reasonable to state that the pick(particularly if from a later round) is looking like a great pick since the norm is, little to no, good production. It is not to say that said picks are definitely going to be great. Many factors such as injury, attitude, hitting their peak early can all stop the forward progression of the player.

Looking like a great pick....

Are a great pick....

Quibbling over semantics when everybody knows what is really meant by the statements.

Looking like a bust....

Is a bust....

Neither comment is warranted in regards to McCargo since he does not look totally lost on the field....history clearly shows he could well end up being the best pick of the bunch.

Basically, when you see somebody shine it is obvious.....

when you see somebody not shine(or even stink) it is generally accepted that most players need developmental time.

I'm amazed that this needs to be explained to people who follow the sport.

I'm not saying he's a bust, but when someone gets called out for having an opinion on a player i think it's unjustified to say that they don't know what they're talking about without knowing why they say what they do.  If I watch a guy play college ball up close for 25 - 35 games thats a significant body of work to be able to form an opinion.  It's not Joe Fan saying "i've seen 5 games from McGargo in the NFL and I think he's a bust".  Just because you're not employed in an NFL scouting department doesn't mean you don't know what you're talking about.

800542[/snapback]

I totally agree with the concept. Totally. It does not however mean that when somebody comes out with a comment that in any rational assessment is waaaay to early to make, I won't reject it.

I would bet that RayFinkle had his opinion before draft day(which was a minority opinion) & is using the situation now to promote said opinion.....there have been no new developments that would add to the 'bust' assessment.

Thanks all the same, but in this situation I'll side with the multiple professionals assessments over the one 'fans'.

RayFinkle may end up being right but until there is more evidence either put forward by RayFinkle or otherwise to show his 'bust'iness, it is an opinion that I will take with a grain of salt.