"The Departed" , a Martin Scorcese picture

ACor58

It was awesome! Just don't tell your grandparents to go see it. I saw it last night and the old couple behind me got up and left about 30-45 minutes into the movie. Lots of vulgar language but people should know that going in. Its classic Scorcese!

Its classic Scorcese!

798156[/snapback]

:D remaking a movie almost scene for scene that's less than 5 years old does not equal classic scorcese

but it's good of him not to screw it up like the directors that remade the grudge, the ring, and dark water

:D remaking a movie almost scene for scene that's less than 5 years old does not equal classic scorcese

but it's good of him not to screw it up like the directors that remade the grudge, the ring, and dark water

798168[/snapback]

I'm glad to hear you say that the grudge was a crap remake....I hated that piece of crap, but you seem to be supporting fezmid's position that Ju-on was a better film. I may have to check it out. I wasn't crazy about the ring, but thought Dark Water was okay.

i wanted to hurl either myself or the dvd of the grudge out of the window after watching it...holy stevestojan...what a waste of time

799091[/snapback]

Yep, it's one of the few movies where I sat there literally taking it personally as if the whole intent of the film was to insult my intelligence. I was really looking forward to seeing the f'ing thing, too. Contrast that with Blair Witch, where I felt disappointed by the film but still feel as though I saw something original that gave it a good effort.

I'm still going to give Ju-on a chance, but no way in hell am I going to see grudge 2.

I'm glad to hear you say that the grudge was a crap remake....I hated that piece of crap, but you seem to be supporting fezmid's position that Ju-on was a better film. I may have to check it out. I wasn't crazy about the ring, but thought Dark Water was okay.

798177[/snapback]

Damn. I thought the Grudge was kinda good. Creeped me out. I bought Ju-on one day on sattelite ppv and that one spooked me so much I didnt finish it.

Damn. I thought the Grudge was kinda good. Creeped me out. I bought Ju-on one day on sattelite ppv and that one spooked me so much I didnt finish it.

799545[/snapback]

What about the plot, though? I admit that some of the images were very well done, but the movie was like an hour and a half of that....no real plot, no real basis for anything that was going on, etc. I just felt ripped off....

Ju-on is looking better all the time, though lol

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Hollywood acts like piracy is to blame for their lack of success at the box office. I submit that a complete lack of originality is to blame. The Departed might be a great movie, but I won't go see it because I refuse to reward this kind of lazy filmmaking. Just look at the top 5 this week and anyone that has any doubt movies suck these days shouldn't:

1. The Departed - Remake of a Chinese movie. Drop the xenophobia and just check out the original series of movies which this is based on.

2. Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning - A prequel to a remake that is essentially just the same movie over and over again.

3. Open Season - Kids movie. Isn't it funny when you hear people complain that there aren't any family movies anymore. Seems like there's a new marketing machine every other week.

4. Employee of the Month - Jessica Simpson + Dane Cook = Retard heaven.

5. The Guardian - An Officer and a Gentleman/Top Gun/Men of Honor clone. And if that thought wasn't unappealing enough it has Ashton Kutcher in it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  Hollywood acts like piracy is to blame for their lack of success at the box office.  I submit that a complete lack of originality is to blame.  The Departed might be a great movie, but I won't go see it because I refuse to reward this kind of lazy filmmaking.  Just look at the top 5 this week and anyone that has any doubt movies suck these days shouldn't:

1.  The Departed - Remake of a Chinese movie.  Drop the xenophobia and just check out the original series of movies which this is based on.

2.  Texas Chainsaw Massacre:  The Beginning - A prequel to a remake that is essentially just the same movie over and over again.

3.  Open Season - Kids movie.  Isn't it funny when you hear people complain that there aren't any family movies anymore.  Seems like there's a new marketing machine every other week.

4.  Employee of the Month - Jessica Simpson + Dane Cook = Retard heaven.

5.  The Guardian - An Officer and a Gentleman/Top Gun/Men of Honor clone.  And if that thought wasn't unappealing enough it has Ashton Kutcher in it.

799915[/snapback]

The Departed is hardly lazy filmmaking. Plus, you should always just go to films that intrigue you, rather than the big films or looking at the box office. In fact, it's people that follow the box office that are the direct cause of all the films being made that you complain about. Hollywood will make anything that people will pay to see. Anything. People keep paying to see remakes so they will keep making them. It's their job, to make money, like most jobs. There are all kinds of original movies out there. Find them and go see them.

I thought The Departed was excellent. Alec Bladwin is phenomenal (very funny) as was Marky Mark.

800019[/snapback]

Couldn't agree more. I didn't even know Baldwin was in it, until he popped up on screen.

He (Baldwin) gave the best performance in this movie, which says a lot.

The Departed is hardly lazy filmmaking. Plus, you should always just go to films that intrigue you, rather than the big films or looking at the box office. In fact, it's people that follow the box office that are the direct cause of all the films being made that you complain about. Hollywood will make anything that people will pay to see. Anything. People keep paying to see remakes so they will keep making them. It's their job, to make money, like most jobs. There are all kinds of original movies out there. Find them and go see them.

799991[/snapback]

exactly right...if people would just take a few minutes to look for some stuff they haven't seen four-hundred commercials for, they might be surprised at what's out there. I enjoy a big budget "popcorn flick" every so often too, but my love for film goes WAY beyond that sort of film. In fact, that's one of the reasons I love Netflix....not only do they have all these great lesser known films available, they actually help recommend them to you.

Add some websites to your bookmarks such as rottentomatoes.com, aintitcoolnews.com, chud.com, ew.com, and rogerebert.com. While all of those keep track of the big budget scene, they also have reviews and news about smaller films and the film festivals.

If you want to find where the truly original ideas are, think SMALL <_<

799991[/snapback]

Maybe it's just me, but I really hate this trend of remaking old movies or taking foreign movies with American actors. The only reason I pointed out how pitiful the top 5 was is the fact that it continuously makes me sick. I agree with what you're saying that remakes will continue to thrive as long as they make money and that's why I DON'T support them.

Couldn't agree more. I didn't even know Baldwin was in it, until he popped up on screen.

He (Baldwin) gave the best performance in this movie, which says a lot.

800024[/snapback]

I was waiting for him to slip into his charachter from Along Came Polly, "I knew she was a dime store hooker the second I met her." :lol:

filmthreat.com is another good site for reviews of indie films.

exactly right...if people would just take a few minutes to look for some stuff they haven't seen four-hundred commercials for, they might be surprised at what's out there. I enjoy a big budget "popcorn flick" every so often too, but my love for film goes WAY beyond that sort of film. In fact, that's one of the reasons I love Netflix....not only do they have all these great lesser known films available, they actually help recommend them to you.

Add some websites to your bookmarks such as rottentomatoes.com, aintitcoolnews.com, chud.com, ew.com, and rogerebert.com. While all of those keep track of the big budget scene, they also have reviews and news about smaller films and the film festivals.

If you want to find where the truly original ideas are, think SMALL :lol:

800065[/snapback]

filmthreat.com is another good site for reviews of indie films.

800583[/snapback]

Thanks, I didn't know about that one

just got around to seeing it...was too long but felt like they pushed the movie around too fast...scorcese spent way too much movie time developing the characters rather than allow the characters to develop themselves through the plot...some scenes were so long that they were almost unbearable

otherwise, movie was done well, the actors did a great job and they didn't screw up the film

2 gripes

1. they got rid of the morse code scene during the microprocessor transaction. morse code to tip someone off is far cooler than teen text msg'ing.

2. the sex scene between leo and the psychiatrist was unnecessary

they're remaking the korean movie "my sassy girl" also. fans of the original movie are extremely concerned that they're going to forcefully inject sex into a movie about a relationship that doesn't need any.

2. the sex scene between leo and the psychiatrist was unnecessary

they're remaking the korean movie "my sassy girl" also. fans of the original movie are extremely concerned that they're going to forcefully inject sex into a movie about a relationship that doesn't need any.

805599[/snapback]

Well didn't it get you wondering who's baby it really was?? :(