Burning Red/ Scars of Life...

Tux of Borg

Anncounement about Burning Red and Scars of Life

Posted: 21 Sep 2006 10:06 PM

I guess this deserves an announcement finally.

Burning red has officially disbanded. We gave it a good shot, but it was not meant to be.

The main reason for this is the industry as a whole is in the shitter. There is just no future in music anymore. I know that sounds bad, but its the truth right now. No new bands are doing even close to good these days, and its all thanks to illegal downloading. That may sound like a likely excuse or a cop-out, but its the god honest truth. The only bands making a living anymore are the ones that were popular before it got bad. Record companies dont sign many bands anymore, and the ones they do sign they dont promote. They just put a CD on a few store shelves and send you off on tour with little or no support. We learned that bitter lesson in scars of life. Record companies just dont have the money to get bands on the radio or in magazines anymore. Back in the day, "breaking a band" took up to millions of dollars, but those days are long gone. We have known so many good bands that try to tour and end up breaking up from the lack of support, poor show attendance, and living on less than $10 a day. Its pretty bad if you can barely make enough money to pay the gas to the next gig, then come home to having no place to live, no money, and often no friends left. It got to the point where we were faced with the decision to give up everything we have to go play in front of 10 people a night and scrape to feed ourselves. We were faced with a bleak existence. We all loved the music very much an poured our hearts and souls into it, but there was just nowhere to go from here. We really appreciated all of the love and support we got from our fans all over the world, but in the end they were the ones that unknowingly took our dreams. Its kind of ironic that we got popular by putting our songs on downloading services, and it turned out to be our downfall. Hard lesson learned.

We want to wish any new bands that are working their asses to carve out their place in the world the sincerest best of luck. Hopefully one day the music industry will recover and bands will find a way to make it their life. Until then, we can only sit by and watch as our choices in music get smaller and smaller. Maybe someday everyone will realize that downloading is stealing no matter how you slice it, and the people it hurts most are the artists themselves.

Burning Red/ Scars of Life has officially disbanded. Their CD is available on Amazon, Best Buy and other record stores. While i don't want to start a topic on their music, i think they bring up a valid point in their goodbye letter to fans. Is illegal downloading hurting new bands?

Sure, downloading is hurting all bands, but I don't believe it is keeping new bandsfrom getting big like what they are trying to say.

I think the problem these days is that everyone is forming bands and the industry is getting flooded. Everyone sounds the same and alot of it is crap. Make good music and it won't be as much of a problem making it big.

Also you have to build up a fan base locally and then let it grow. Free downloading can actually help small bands out too. Alot of up and coming bands use free downloads and the internet to help get their music known and bring in more fans all over.

In the entertainment industry, nothing is just going to be handed to you, you have to work hard and sometimes suffer and go through the hardships that they described. 10 people show up to a show? Maybe its because you are touring in an area that has never heard of you.

I was a a show last night in Toronto and the opening band (revelation I believe, from New York) would walk around during the headlining bands set and stood near the exit doors after the show selling their cd's for a fairly reasonable $10. They didn't just have their merchandise booth set up and hope people would go to it and buy the cd or a shirt, they personnally met with fans and sold the cd's themselves.

Is illegal downloading hurting new bands?

796863[/snapback]

I'm not buying. It no doubt lowers sales, but to the point where it makes a bands income on par with a McDonald's employee? I've almost shut down listening to anything new. I won't even give most bands a chance anymore. Everything is Nickelback sounding reality MTV pop vomit. I can't speak for past generations but I don't feel that way about music from the 60's and 70's. Maybe it's just because it's not my generation.

I'm not buying. It no doubt lowers sales, but to the point where it makes a bands income on par with a McDonald's employee? I've almost shut down listening to anything new. I won't even give most bands a chance anymore. Everything is Nickelback sounding reality MTV pop vomit. I can't speak for past generations but I don't feel that way about music from the 60's and 70's. Maybe it's just because it's not my generation.

797184[/snapback]

Every generation/decade has a ton of bands that come out, do a few albums, then disappear, because they sound similar to others, or they never get that big contract. That's why shows like VH1's One Hit Wonders and Bands Reunited are so popular, because you've forgotten about all these other groups that aren't around anymore.

Every generation/decade has a ton of bands that come out, do a few albums, then disappear, because they sound similar to others, or they never get that big contract. That's why shows like VH1's One Hit Wonders and Bands Reunited are so popular, because you've forgotten about all these other groups that aren't around anymore.

797260[/snapback]

Very true. I guess what I'm saying is the good ones from that time are much better then the good ones from this time. I like a few modern bands that have an original sound. Maybe some will survive time, and become what bands like The Who and Zeppelin have to some in my generation. I also think repetitive listening influences our tastes somewhat. Had my parents not listened to these bands while I was growing up I don't think I would enjoy them nearly as much as I do now.

Let me get this straight, illegal downloading is ruining their career, but when they tour no one is going to the shows? I got news for you...if no one is interested enough to go see your band play, then I'm pretty sure no one is lining up to steal your music either.

Downloading is not ruining music. If anything, it's doing presicely the opposite. Sick of bands that all sound the same? Well they all sound the same because corporate rock and roll is pushing what they think sells. One novel act comes out, and it's followed by countless others that all sound the same so the corporate rock pimps can cash in on the trend.

Well the internet allows indy bands to do it themselves and get mass exposure across the globe. You don't think any good bands are out there? Stop being so freaking lazy, turn off the radio and hit the "intertubes." MySpace is loaded with fabulous stuff. Myself, I'm into punk rock. A couple weekends ago I did a search for punk rock from Aulstralia and New Zealand, and downloaded hours of great rock and roll. There's just too much stuff out there to fit on a single iPod. You can be damn sure that if any of these acts make their way to our shores and play a club in Boston I'll be out there supporting them.

The bitching and moaning comes loudest from the very people that want to control the airwaves. They don't want you to have choices. They don't want bands that sound different. They want easily definable niches so they can push this crap to format-driven radio stations that target certain demographics. Well screw them. Shut those stations off. Don't buy their stale product. Support independent lables. Support small clubs. Go see small bands touring in vans. Buy T-shirts and 45s, even if it's just to say, "Yeah, Screw you! I just bought a damn vinyl record! Take that you corporate whores!"

I think part is because the market is so diffuse. Back-in-da-day, popular music in Buffalo was aired on WKBW and the late WNIA. That was about it. FM radio? - what was that?

TV presentations, like The Ed Sullivan Show, the variety shows like Gary Moore's , Tennessee Ernie Ford, later shows like Mike Douglas, John Davidson, Carol Burnett , Dean Martin, showcased bands and artists. Three networks, four counting the defunct DuMont.

Now, a gazillion cable channels, tons of FM stations, and also now Sirius and XM. LPs and their album art long gone.

I think the age of popular "standards", some of the Beatle's ballads for example, is over. I can't recall the last time the nation tapped it's toes to a hit instrumental...maybe Mason William's "Classical Gas", or some of Chuck Mangione's stuff.

Let me get this straight, illegal downloading is ruining their career, but when they tour no one is going to the shows?  I got news for you...if no one is interested enough to go see your band play, then I'm pretty sure no one is lining up to steal your music either.

Downloading is not ruining music.  If anything, it's doing presicely the opposite.  Sick of bands that all sound the same?  Well they all sound the same because corporate rock and roll is pushing what they think sells.  One novel act comes out, and it's followed by countless others that all sound the same so the corporate rock pimps can cash in on the trend. 

Well the internet allows indy bands to do it themselves and get mass exposure across the globe.  You don't think any good bands are out there?  Stop being so freaking lazy, turn off the radio and hit the "intertubes."  MySpace is loaded with fabulous stuff.  Myself, I'm into punk rock.  A couple weekends ago I did a search for punk rock from Aulstralia and New Zealand, and downloaded hours of great rock and roll.  There's just too much stuff out there to fit on a single iPod.  You can be damn sure that if any of these acts make their way to our shores and play a club in Boston I'll be out there supporting them.

The bitching and moaning comes loudest from the very people that want to control the airwaves.  They don't want you to have choices.  They don't want bands that sound different.  They want easily definable niches so they can push this crap to format-driven radio stations that target certain demographics.  Well screw them.  Shut those stations off.  Don't buy their stale product.  Support independent lables.  Support small clubs.  Go see small bands touring in vans.  Buy T-shirts and 45s, even if it's just to say, "Yeah, Screw you!  I just bought a damn vinyl record!  Take that you corporate whores!"

797297[/snapback]

Great post!

Yes, the music industry is going through drastic changes. But there IS good music in the world. You just can't expect it to be handed to you--you have to seek it out.

Buy T-shirts and 45s, even if it's just to say, "Yeah, Screw you!  I just bought a damn vinyl record!  Take that you corporate whores!"

797297[/snapback]

"And now I need to buy a record player for this 45!"

Sorry, I just had to say it. And I agree with everything else in your post.

First off, it was the popular bands who were hurt by illegal downloading, and its unknown bands who were helped by illegal filesharing -- you could argue that Napster was the one who sprung Radiohead because of all the buzz that came when one of their albums leaked out early.

Secondly, illegal filesharing of music has been all but stamped out. The RIAA lawsuits and the death of every major P2P network - Napster, Kazaa, Gnutella, Grokster and recently eDonkey -- have cut off the supply to free files for all but the most dedicated, Bit-Torrent savvy tech monkeys. If you look for file sharing statistics, you'll see that most illegal piracy these days involves movies (probably over 60 percent of the traffic) and the AVERAGE file size transfer is one gigabyte.

The Internet is actually saving music today (as TowerRecords bites the dust) and giving bands a new way to promote themselves and earn a living -- unless you're an idiot band who'd unpopular music style is as dated of their perception of the Napster problem.

:devil:

797333[/snapback]

Record players aren't that expensive. Play'em once to burn them to your hard drive, then hang that baby on your wall. It's visual art, it's aural art, and you're stickin' it to the man! Let the non-stop pop drive you insane!

Record players aren't that expensive.  Play'em once to burn them to your hard drive, then hang that baby on your wall.  It's visual art, it's aural art, and you're stickin' it to the man!  Let the non-stop pop drive you insane!

797393[/snapback]

And the stack of coins taped to the arm to keep it from skipping.

Let me get this straight, illegal downloading is ruining their career, but when they tour no one is going to the shows?  I got news for you...if no one is interested enough to go see your band play, then I'm pretty sure no one is lining up to steal your music either.

Downloading is not ruining music.  If anything, it's doing presicely the opposite.  Sick of bands that all sound the same?  Well they all sound the same because corporate rock and roll is pushing what they think sells.  One novel act comes out, and it's followed by countless others that all sound the same so the corporate rock pimps can cash in on the trend. 

Well the internet allows indy bands to do it themselves and get mass exposure across the globe.  You don't think any good bands are out there?  Stop being so freaking lazy, turn off the radio and hit the "intertubes."  MySpace is loaded with fabulous stuff.  Myself, I'm into punk rock.  A couple weekends ago I did a search for punk rock from Aulstralia and New Zealand, and downloaded hours of great rock and roll.  There's just too much stuff out there to fit on a single iPod.  You can be damn sure that if any of these acts make their way to our shores and play a club in Boston I'll be out there supporting them.

The bitching and moaning comes loudest from the very people that want to control the airwaves.  They don't want you to have choices.  They don't want bands that sound different.  They want easily definable niches so they can push this crap to format-driven radio stations that target certain demographics.  Well screw them.  Shut those stations off.  Don't buy their stale product.  Support independent lables.  Support small clubs.  Go see small bands touring in vans.  Buy T-shirts and 45s, even if it's just to say, "Yeah, Screw you!  I just bought a damn vinyl record!  Take that you corporate whores!"

797297[/snapback]

Amen! People enable crappy music. Be part of the soloution or you are part of the problem

797333[/snapback]

I have two very nice turntables and use them frequently. Anything recorded predigital(Beatles, Stones, Who, Zepp, Floyd, Miles, Coltrane, etc) sounds much better with a diamond stylus then the infrared cd laser. I love the sound of an LP! Not to mention you can pick up crates of records cheap at tag sales. One mans junk....

797297[/snapback]

I am not in the habit of quoting entire posts but this is the absolute truth.

10,000 good bands in 2,000 cities and towns worldwide and I am supposed to swallow terrestrial radio ?

The New Model

Put away the nostalgia (or play off it). I have paid for more music by more people in the last three years than at any time in my life. My road trips have been enriched beyond comprehension by knowing the who and where of interesting music. I am so sorry that Burning Red didn't become the Rolling Stones. Even sorrier that the Rolling Stones became the Rolling Stones...

(Edit... Switch Rolling Stones to Incubus. Nice viral marketing Detox. I now know more about Southeastern Nu-Metal than any man my age has a right to.)