Coach Jauron On Sirius Now!

They mentioned the other day that he's on every Thursday, I wonder if he's on around 3 each week?  If only they streamed the NFL channel through the Intertubes like they do Stern...

796714[/snapback]

4pm Thursdays.

I'll be up for the next 2 home games, so I'll look for you then.

Did you talk to Jack before buying season tickets? I did. I didn't get the tickets I wanted (right along the tunnel wall), but I'm pretty close to it and I like the seats I have.

What makes you think cover 2 corners aren't a high priority position?  Because they play zone?. If it was strictly a zone defense Id be hard pressed to agree with that stance. I also might agree if Cover 2 teams didn't invest heavily in the back 7.  Take a look for instance at the bears who have drafted- Charles Tillman, Nathan Vasher, Daniel Manning, and traded for Ricky Manning Jr, not to mention Devin Hester.  Yes they upgraded their dline with ogun, and drafting of tommie harris, ian scott, alex brown, mark edwards etc etc, but they still invested heavily in db's.  I think good corners are vital to the system, and it does matter who you plug back there, however in the cover 2 it seems you need more exceptional depth at corner and secondary in general since it is a pass defense then you would in a 4-3 man to man or any other kind of defense.  The colts have also drafted donald strickland, jason david, marlin jackson, kelvin hayden, as well as several picks at safety.  I'm sure I could go around the league with cover 2 teams and find out they drafted a lot of corners. the examples I used are corners drafted rounds 1-4, the last 4 years for the bears/colts.

Nate Clements has barely even been thrown at this season. No one has tested him deep, and while he is allowing the short stuff as is our entire defense, he has not been beaten at all.  He's well worth the money he's getting and a perfect fit for this system.  I like ashton youboty a lot, but I'm still holding out hope we can hold onto nate.

796688[/snapback]

The corners who can excel in the cover 2 aren't always the flashy types like Atlanta's D Hall or even Clements, so that may be why they're sometimes devalued. But, like you said, it's not correct to say that corners aren't important in the cover 2. They have to have good recognition skills, be athletic to cover a lot of ground, and they have to be physical. Guys like Penn State's Alan Zemaitis, now a rookie for Tampa Bay, are ideal for that scheme: athletic (the guy has a great vertical leap), good football skills, and tough enough to handle run support.

What makes you think cover 2 corners aren't a high priority position?  Because they play zone?. If it was strictly a zone defense Id be hard pressed to agree with that stance. I also might agree if Cover 2 teams didn't invest heavily in the back 7.  Take a look for instance at the bears who have drafted- Charles Tillman, Nathan Vasher, Daniel Manning, and traded for Ricky Manning Jr, not to mention Devin Hester.  Yes they upgraded their dline with ogun, and drafting of tommie harris, ian scott, alex brown, mark edwards etc etc, but they still invested heavily in db's.  I think good corners are vital to the system, and it does matter who you plug back there, however in the cover 2 it seems you need more exceptional depth at corner and secondary in general since it is a pass defense then you would in a 4-3 man to man or any other kind of defense.  The colts have also drafted donald strickland, jason david, marlin jackson, kelvin hayden, as well as several picks at safety.  I'm sure I could go around the league with cover 2 teams and find out they drafted a lot of corners. the examples I used are corners drafted rounds 1-4, the last 4 years for the bears/colts.

Nate Clements has barely even been thrown at this season. No one has tested him deep, and while he is allowing the short stuff as is our entire defense, he has not been beaten at all.  He's well worth the money he's getting and a perfect fit for this system.  I like ashton youboty a lot, but I'm still holding out hope we can hold onto nate.

796688[/snapback]

I read an article awhile back that had Dungy saying it doesn't make sense for a cover 2 team to pay CB's the type of money the market is demanding at CB. I tried to rationalize those comments by saying it's because Corners are primarily short zone defenders in this defense. Obviously that's not all they do. I'm sure we switch to man, and different looks threw out the course of a game. But when we do shift to true Cover 2 the major responsibilities of the secondary fall on our safeties.

I looked up some salary information on Cover 2 teams compared to the rest to see if that had some more answers. Seems like Tampa has no problem paying top dollar for Barber and Kelly. The Colts pay nothing, and despite the talent level the Bears pay next to nothing. It's a mixed bag of results that seems to change on a team to team basis. So it was an exaggeration for me to say Cover 2 teams don't pay corners good money. At the same time if we do pay Nate what he demands this off season we will surpass the total starting CB salaries of the rest of the Cover 2 teams. It will be a interesting to see how we handle the situation, especially if Jauron and Co. end up loving Clements.