Darryl Talley

I saw him on my flight on Saturday flying back from Orlando.  He looked a little stiff and had a wheelchair access card for boarding but no wheelchair.  Did something happen to him?  Arthritis?

795452[/snapback]

15 years in the NFL happened to him. I saw Hulk Hogan at the Atlanta airport about a year ago and he can bearly walk. This stuff takes its toll.

Just a note about Talley. He does a show on Saturday nights locally here in Orlando regarding college football played that day. As far as I know, he still lives in the Orlando area and was probably heading up to Buffalo for the Andre celebration at the stadium last Sunday.

He actually isn't all that bad on TV and might have a future in doing some sort of commentary for either college or pro games either during a pre, post or halftime show. I don't think he has the voice to do a color position during a game but I hope something on a larger scale opens up for him along the way.

I saw him on my flight on Saturday flying back from Orlando.  He looked a little stiff and had a wheelchair access card for boarding but no wheelchair.  Did something happen to him?  Arthritis?

795452[/snapback]

I was in Disneyworld at the ESPN club at the end of August and saw Daryl and Lonnie Johnson doing a radio show with Frank Viola. We had a Bills backpack hanging on my daughters stroller next to the table and when the show was over they stopped by and said hello because they saw the Bills bag. Both of them seemed fine and Daryl was walking OK.

I got them to sign an ESPN shirt and I bought them both a drink, unfortunately Lonnie dropped his.[All true except Lonnie didn't drop his drink, the waitress just never looked his way.]

Marino dissed him on HBO this week.  Saying he was the ugliest thing he has ever seen.

796003[/snapback]

Thats because Talley was the last thing Marino saw before he got planted.

Darryl is one of my all-time favorite Buffalo Bills. I just got the Steve Tasker book and I figure since we're on the topic of Tallley I'll post a few excerpts from what Tasker wrote about him:

I played with and against a lot of tough guys in the NFL, but nobody had a higher pain threshold than Darryl Talley; even with his arms and legs cutoff he would still want to fight you. He'd be out there with broken bones and torn muscles and strained ligaments, and you wouldn't hear a peep from the guy. You could count on him every sunday.

Everybody- and I mean everybody-on the team respected Darryl, and they feared him too. Nobody wanted to mess with him. He was clearly one of our leaders and he was not afraid to speak his piece when he believed it was necessarry. He'd tell Bruce Smith to shut up and sit down, and he'd pull Jim aside and say, "Jim you can't do that. You've got to knock it off."

No one loved Buffalo and Bills fans more than Darryl, When he left the team as a Plan B free agency casualty following the 1994 season, he took out a full-page ad in the Buffalo News thanking the fans of Western New York. That was Darryl- a class act.

By far one of the best to ever put on the red,white, and buffalo blue.

Marino dissed him on HBO this week.  Saying he was the ugliest thing he has ever seen.

796003[/snapback]

Specifically, when asked what was the ugliest thing or play he had ever seen in the NFL, Marino quipped: "Darryl Talley without his helmet on". I had to chuckle. But in retrospect, it was a low blow...

Talley is by far my favorite Buffalo Bill. Always has been, always will be.

Quick story. In the mid '80s my brother worked the sidelines as a medic's assistant. It was a home game against San Diego and Fouts was still the QB. Each half my brother worked each team's sideline. After the game he only had two remarks. First one was he said Fouts was totally cool. The other comment was that he NEVER seen anyone as intense as Darryl Talley. There is one thing that should be told. My brother is not too keen on Buffalo and he has always tortured me about my loyalty to the Bills. The praise about Talley was much larger coming from a non Buffalo fan because it was that evident. As far as I'm concerned, Talley is a HOF. I'll never forget what he gave to this organization.

Here's a where are they now article.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/AlumniSpo...arrylTalley.jsp