WGR's afternoon topic yesterday

Which is more important to you- A Bills victory in Chicago or a Sabres victory in Carolina?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Which is more important to you- A Bills victory in Chicago or a Sabres victory in Carolina?

• Sabres over Canes
    • Bills over Bears

On Schopp and the Bulldog yesterday, they were fielding fans calls about which victory would mean more- the Bills over the Bears or the Sabres over the Canes.

Some points for both:

Bills

-Only 16 games, each win means more. Lose in hockey, there's 81 more

-Bears are considered a top team in the NFL, win puts Bills on map

-JP winning two in a row, including two straight on the road

-Bills able to handle the top defense in the NFL

Sabres

-Avenge the loss in the conference finals last season

-Defend the preseason pundits that have Buffalo at the top of the conference

-Ruin the banner raising and ring ceremony party for the Carolina fans

-This loss would hurt worse than a Bills loss, because Bills are supposed to lose

I know which one I'm picking, but the results were surprisingly pretty split from the callers. What do you think?

I think a Bills win means more than a Sabres win. Like you said, less games, big opponent, both are away games, but losing an away hockey game is not as big of a deal, I think. You'll get the opponent again.

There would be no shame (though plenty of anger and annoyance) in the Sabres losing to the Canes. The high would be nice, but it wouldn't beat the elation of the Bills going over .500 for the first time in ages and beating an apparent Super Bowl contender in their own house.

On Schopp and the Bulldog yesterday, they were fielding fans calls about which victory would mean more- the Bills over the Bears or the Sabres over the Canes.

Some points for both:

Bills

-Only 16 games, each win means more.  Lose in hockey, there's 81 more

-Bears are considered a top team in the NFL, win puts Bills on map

-JP winning two in a row, including two straight on the road

-Bills able to handle the top defense in the NFL

Sabres

-Avenge the loss in the conference finals last season

-Defend the preseason pundits that have Buffalo at the top of the conference

-Ruin the banner raising and ring ceremony party for the Carolina fans

-This loss would hurt worse than a Bills loss, because Bills are supposed to lose

I know which one I'm picking, but the results were surprisingly pretty split from the callers.  What do you think?

794992[/snapback]

I would say Bills winning, but its tough. Remember how close the points were at the end of the year last year, Sabres were so close to having that game 7 vs the canes at home. If I HAD to pick I would pick the Bills, but I would rather wear a Tedi Bruschi Jersey than choose between bills and sabres

There is absolutely no question that in the context of the season, a Bills' victory this week is more important than a Sabres' win tonight. It's not even close. I'll be cheering my ass off for the Sabres and would like nothing more than to see them ruin "banner night" at the RBC, but whether they win or lose it's merely one of 82 games in a long season.

A Bills' victory, on the other hand, would shed a whole new light on season expectations and the immediate future of the franchise.

There is absolutely no question that in the context of the season, a Bills' victory this week is more important than a Sabres' win tonight.  It's not even close.  I'll be cheering my ass off for the Sabres and would like nothing more than to see them ruin "banner night" at the RBC, but whether they win or lose it's merely one of 82 games in a long season.

A Bills' victory, on the other hand, would shed a whole new light on season expectations and the immediate future of the franchise.

795038[/snapback]

Totally agree. Not sure if the callers were truly split evenly, or they were screening to make sure that they got opinions from both sides, but I couldn't believe how many people said the Sabres. I am as big a Sabres fan as anyone, and would love to see them smack Carolina around, but I fully expect them to win their division even with an opening night loss.

The Bills answer seemed so rediculously obvious, I was shocked at how many said the Sabres. It would be nice to ruin the fans' party in Raleigh, but let's face it, the Carolina players have their names on the Cup. I'm sure they're not too worried about the Sabres making a 'statement' (if that's even possible in Game 1 of an 82 game season.)

Bottom line- Buffalo is a GREAT hockey town, but typically not until January. A Bills win would have huge ramifications on the city. It would give Bills fans and NFL fans a whole new view of this team.

Isn't this kinda like going into an AA meeting and asking ok now which is better:

Scotch or Gum

795056[/snapback]

I think we all knew what the majority answer would be on a Bills message board, if that's what you're implying.

A lot of the people who were calling WGR to vote 'Sabres' seemed like they were already resigned to a Bills loss this Sunday. I wanted to ask, "Wouldn't that make the Bills victory that much bigger???"

I think we all knew what the majority answer would be on a Bills message board, if that's what you're implying.

A lot of the people who were calling WGR to vote 'Sabres' seemed like they were already resigned to a Bills loss this Sunday.  I wanted to ask, "Wouldn't that make the Bills victory that much bigger???"

795069[/snapback]

I agree...beating the Bears at home vs. a grudge match against the Hurricanes is bigger right now (I even drove down for game 5 of the ECF with some buddies too). I have a distinct hatred for the Hurricanes and their fan base, but a Bills win this Sunday would be a bigger deal. It would put them on the map, and it would let us know that they are indeed for real.

No offense, I like the Sabres but they are about 1/100th the importance of the Bills to the area and fan base. They still have tix available for a 19k arena for the season opener. I am amazed how much WGR talks about hockey in October! Who cares? It's October--you have a NFL team that is playing competitively right now going into a big game! No offense hockey fans (and I like the Sabres) but nobody on a national level really cares about the NHL. It has about as much fan interest as the MLS. It's national network is the OLV network.

Let's talk about football and the NFL! Heck it's MLB playoffs as well and there is a lot more excitement about that than hockey. Let's get excited if the Sabres are good in April when nothing else goes on in sports!

No offense, I like the Sabres but they are about 1/100th the importance of the Bills to the area and fan base.  They still have tix available for a 19k arena for the season opener.  I am amazed how much WGR talks about hockey in October!  Who cares?  It's October--you have a NFL team that is playing competitively right now going into a big game!  No offense hockey fans (and I like the Sabres) but nobody on a national level really cares about the NHL.  It has about as much fan interest as the MLS.  It's national network is the OLV network.   

Let's talk about football and the NFL!  Heck it's MLB playoffs as well and there is a lot more excitement about that than hockey.  Let's get excited if the Sabres are good in April when nothing else goes on in sports!

796477[/snapback]

Do you live in Buffalo? And if so, what cave are you currently holed up in?

No offense hockey fans (and I like the Sabres) but nobody on a national level really cares about the NHL.

796477[/snapback]

You're right. We should all bow to ESPN and their coverage of poker and kickball. Nice argument. :D

Guess what? Hockey fans are actually pretty happy that the retards who need to be told what's cool by some talking head idiot don't follow our sport. That means we don't have to constantly scream at people to "WAIT FOR A FUGGIN' WHISTLE, YOU CROMAGNON" while our really cool game is being played.

Stay away. Really.

This is a no brainer. While I can't pick the Bills to beat Chicago, a win would be huge. More than one so called expert is calling Chicago the best team in NFL, but asside from the bragging rights accorded for knocking off the best team, simple math comes into play. There are 16 football games in a season. There are five times as many hockey games. Just from a numerical standpoint, a football game is 5 times as important to the final standings as a single hockey game.

It was nice for the Sabres to beat the team that knocked them out of the playoffs, but I don't think there will be that much of a lasting euphoria for having done it. The Sabres play again in a day or so. Fans and the team will have moved on by then.

A Bills victory over the Bears can literally make the season.