Losman getting some national cred...

from Czabe.com

I think JP Losman might be coming into his own. Might. Without the mistakes, he’s one of the most athletic, and gutsy QBs in the league.

793868[/snapback]

Gradually coming around. Nothing Earth shattering but still developing. Moving forward. Just hope he has a nice bust out game with 3 td passes and 350 yds to give him a boost in confidence. Probably not this weekend but definitely possible in the next 3 games. Detroit, NE, and the Packers. Of course this all depends if the Bills are going to stick with the conservative gameplan for these games.

from Czabe.com

I think JP Losman might be coming into his own. Might. Without the mistakes, he’s one of the most athletic, and gutsy QBs in the league.

793868[/snapback]

You know, I sometimes wonder why there is a (mis)perception that Losman, through his first 12 starts, has been inordinately mistake prone...I think his biggest "mistakes" have been merely playing too cautiously at times (ironically, trying to avoid mistakes), or being a little inaccurate at other times. I see national

media types making these kind of comments a lot, and I just am not sure where it comes from. He had the one ill-advised pass picked off in the endzone last year, against Miami, but, in general, I don't think of him as a "turnover machine" like a lot of other QBs, young and old...

You know, I sometimes wonder why there is a (mis)perception that Losman, through his first 12 starts, has been inordinately mistake prone...I think his biggest "mistakes" have been merely playing too cautiously at times (ironically, trying to avoid mistakes), or being a little inaccurate at other times.  I see national

media types making these kind of comments a lot, and I just am not sure where it comes from.  He had the one ill-advised pass picked off in the endzone last year, against Miami, but, in general, I don't think of him as a "turnover machine" like a lot of other QBs, young and old...

794013[/snapback]

Without actually watching the game, the turnovers credited to Losman appear much worse than they are.

Without actually watching the game, the turnovers credited to Losman appear much worse than they are.

794053[/snapback]

That's part of it I'm sure, but it's not like he's ever had a huge turnover game. His max in a game ever is 3. That's not exceptionally high at all.

You know, I sometimes wonder why there is a (mis)perception that Losman, through his first 12 starts, has been inordinately mistake prone...I think his biggest "mistakes" have been merely playing too cautiously at times (ironically, trying to avoid mistakes), or being a little inaccurate at other times.  I see national

media types making these kind of comments a lot, and I just am not sure where it comes from.  He had the one ill-advised pass picked off in the endzone last year, against Miami, but, in general, I don't think of him as a "turnover machine" like a lot of other QBs, young and old...

794013[/snapback]

I really think the misconceptions are due to the BIG Eggs he laid in some national games (or at least against the big teams like Atlanta, NE). That 2nd pass against

NE which was INT returned for a TD was a disaster two years ago and that was on

a ESPN Sunday night game....I think that single play has put a perception on every national media outlet that Losman is mistake prone....After that they just look at the box scores from last year and when you are 1-7 they can make their own conclusions.

There are plenty of misconceptions about JP out there. One of my favorites is that he's cocky and selfish. I really have seen NOTHING during his time here in Buffalo that would lead me to believe that is the case with him.

In fact, I think a real defining moment for him may have been after the Cinci game in the preseason, when he accepted full blame for the interception that was intended for Josh Reed. I wonder if it is any coincidence that Reed has been so reliable in the early goings? JP has also been very quick to give credit to his line and to the receivers for making things "easy" for him.

Ironically, one of the guys who bad-mouthed JP at Tulane was M Moore... The same classless guy that knocked the sound engineer guy over on the sideline -- and didn't even offer to help him up. (It was up to Jimbo to extend the courtesy hand and at least ask the dude if he was OK.)

I really think the misconceptions are due to the BIG Eggs he laid in some national games (or at least against the big teams like Atlanta, NE).  That 2nd pass against

NE which was INT returned for a TD was a disaster two years ago and that was on

a ESPN Sunday night game....I think that single play has put a perception on every national media outlet that Losman is mistake prone....After that they just look at the box scores from last year and when you are 1-7 they can make their own conclusions.

794069[/snapback]

True... And you indirectly hit on another point.

I think part of the problem with the way that the last coaching staff dealt with JP is that Meathead bullied him in a somewhat degrading manner. That NE game is the perfect example. JP had just come off the injury list -- and was designated as the #3 QB. You know he had taken very little in the way of snaps in practice. So what does MM do? He throws the kid to the wolves -- that is, the defending and soon-to-be-repeat Super Bowl champs -- in a game where they were dominating and pinning their ears back to come after the QB.

Now, Fairchild is supposedly very hard on the young QB as well. However, there is a fine line between being demanding (i.e. "forcefully patient") and being a bully. I can't get these visions out of my head of stupid Meathead walking around making fun of JP and creating an environment where he was fair game by the veterans. This may have been an environment that made it plausible for Troy Vincent to give him that gentle nudge, even though he was wearing a red shirt -- and provided Moulds with the flexibility to do what he did last year.