Wow

Griz

Implying that somebody as tough as Villarial (who has missed a grand total of about 11 games in a 10+ year career) could be sidelined by a hangnail is about as far from "nailing it" as you could be. :devil:

Implying that somebody as tough as Villarial (who has missed a grand total of about 11 games in a 10+ year career) could be sidelined by a hangnail is about as far from "nailing it" as you could be.  :devil:

793699[/snapback]

CV IS tough, but a case can be made that he has become brittle since his arrival in Buffalo.

As I recall, he was badly nicked up at the end of 04, after playing very well at RG earlier in the year. Last year, I am not sure if he was ever truly healthy, as he was getting soundly beaten on a regular basis.

Imo, this is a position at which the Bills need to upgrade.

CV IS tough, but a case can be made that he has become brittle since his arrival in Buffalo.

As I recall, he was badly nicked up at the end of 04, after playing very well at RG earlier in the year. Last year, I am not sure if he was ever truly healthy, as he was getting soundly beaten on a regular basis.

Imo, this is a position at which the Bills need to upgrade.

793705[/snapback]

I certainly agree that he is on the backside of his career and that as he ages it's only natural for him to be dealing with more injuries to a body that has a lot of mileage and doesn't recover as quickly. But in this century he's played 16, 16, 15, 13, 16 and 15 games, only missing one start in his 2+ years in Buffalo.

Making a weak hangnail joke about a guy like that is way out of line, imo.

But in this century he's played 16, 16, 15, 13, 16 and 15 games, only missing one start in his 2+ years in Buffalo.

793712[/snapback]

How many games did he finish in 2005?

Hint: it wasn't 15.

I certainly agree that he is on the backside of his career and that as he ages it's only natural for him to be dealing with more injuries to a body that has a lot of mileage and doesn't recover as quickly. But in this century he's played 16, 16, 15, 13, 16 and 15 games, only missing one start in his 2+ years in Buffalo.

Making a weak hangnail joke about a guy like that is way out of line, imo.

793712[/snapback]

The "hangnail" comment was the usual internet hysteria comment, but it certainly is based on the grain of truth that you acknowledge that he is on the backside of his career.

The recitation of his impressive numbers of game starts are a pretty clear example of why stats are not conclusive of most things in football and even can be a false indicator of health to even the casual Bills observer.

While I would not have put the +/- for CV injury at 4 games (I am a wishful thinker) it seemed pretty clear that he was not likely to last the season and that he was certainly the OL player most likely to go down with an injury.

While the GS stats are impressive, a more realistic story is told by him being excused from working out this off-season and in almost all the OTAs as the Bills appeared to be trying to save his body for the regular season.

In addition, the casual observer last season did note that CV was suffering from what would have been mere nicks he played through in the past and that Preston saw a lot of time in reserve of Villarial.

On a team whose major OL issue is a lack of reserve talent, it speaks volumes that the single reserve they have with some notable starter experience, Preston, was acting as a reserve for CV. In fact, though Preston is also the reserve for Fowler and a natural center, the Bills gave Geisinger every chance they could to be the back-up center so they could free Preston up to be the RG back-up because he almost certainly was gonna have to start and likely see significant time at RG this year.

CV himself took a personal foul last year for the unver like act of jawing at the ref and one could see his frustration at what appeared to be his body letting him down ad not performing like it used to,

It is a bit untoward to claim that a longtime vet and tough guy Villarial would be failed by a minor injury. However, making a converse claim that he is a resilient player whom one could have counted upon based on the stats you site is also a bit over the top in believability.

I don't know and I doubt you do either.

794554[/snapback]

Answer: 10

"That means Preston, who stepped in to spell Villarrial six times as a rookie last season, would do so again this Sunday."

Buffalobills.com 10/3/06

Nothing comes closer than me saying that fast fred would be cut and picked up by the patriots in early august.

794579[/snapback]

Amen to that!

Just be thankful you didn't use sarcasm... <_<:lol:

Answer: 10

"That means Preston, who stepped in to spell Villarrial six times as a rookie last season, would do so again this Sunday."

Buffalobills.com 10/3/06

794816[/snapback]

Actually that doesn't mean that Villarrial didn't finish those games, just that he came out of games 6 times. For all you know he could have gone back in the next series or the next play. Villarrial wasn't very effective last year because he played hurt quite a bit but I don't recall seeing him not finish games that often.

Actually that doesn't mean that Villarrial didn't finish those games, just that he came out of games 6 times.  For all you know he could have gone back in the next series or the next play.  Villarrial wasn't very effective last year because he played hurt quite a bit but I don't recall seeing him not finish games that often.

794840[/snapback]

Good point, my bad.

Answer to how many games CV finished: no more than 12

From Duke Preston's Bio;

2005: Saw action as right guard in season opener vs. Hou (9/11)… Saw action on special teams at TB (9/18)…Saw action on offensive line in 4th quarter vs. ATL (9/25) … Did not play at NO (10/2) … Started first NFL game vs. Mia (10/9) filling in for Chris Villarrial at right guard … Saw action on special teams vs. NYJ (10/16) … Filled-in for an injured Chris Villarrial in fourth quarter at Oak. (10/23). Saw action on special teams at NE (10/30)... Replaced Chris Villarrial at right guard for the final four offensive plays of the game vs. KC (11/13). … Returned to his hometown and saw action on special teams at SD (11/20)... Saw action on special teams vs. Car. (11/27)... Replaced Chris Villarrial at right guard after he suffered a hamstring injury in the first quarter at Mia. (12/4) … also saw action on special teams … Saw action on special teams vs. NE (12/11) … Saw action on special teams vs. Den (12/17)... Saw action on special teams at Cin (12/24) … Saw action on special teams at NYJ (1/1/06).

Answer to how many games CV finished: no more than 12

In the latest year of a 10 year career he played in 15 games and had to leave two of them with an injury. Over his entire 10 year career he's played in 151 out of 160 possible games.

But yeah, this guy regularly goes out with a hangnail.