About the Offense and killer instinct - Relax

milfster1

For everyone acting as if they are worried about JP's and our offenses inability to score TD's in the red-zone, I think we are just seeing an offense that is still getting used to each other in a new system, and a coaching staff that is taking baby steps with them and not getting to complicated and making mistakes.

JP alluded to it many times yesterday in that the coaching staff makes the players prove it to them, and that as they get more comfortable with the system they will start to unwrap more of the plays, and the coaches will call more plays to take shots into the end-zone.

We seen it back in the late 80's with Kelly, and Thurman and Andre. In 87, 88 it was a more conservative approach with a defense that was pretty solid, and gradually the offense grew into the juggernaut that it was and became more wide open in 89-94. Not to say we will ever come close to being that good, but they will get better, and more confidence the more they play in this system. Here is another overlooked fact. Those early years is when the offensive line was first coming together as well. It takes time for these units to become cohesive.

The other thing, is that we have been in just about every game we've played, so of course the coaches are going to play it a little more close to the vest, so I understand the playing it safe mentality so far, although it can be a little frustrating.

Anyhow, just want to see the offense, and defense progress each week and get better and we'll be alright.

GO BILLS!!!!!!

For everyone acting as if they are worried about JP's and our offenses inability to score TD's in the red-zone, I think we are just seeing an offense that is still getting used to each other in a new system, and a coaching staff that is taking baby steps with them and not getting to complicated and making mistakes.

JP alluded to it many times yesterday in that the coaching staff makes the players prove it to them, and that as they get more comfortable with the system they will start to unwrap more of the plays, and the coaches will call more plays to take shots into the end-zone.

We seen it back in the late 80's with Kelly, and Thurman and Andre.  In 87, 88 it was a more conservative approach with a defense that was pretty solid, and gradually the offense grew into the juggernaut that it was and became more wide open in 89-94.  Not to say we will ever come close to being that good, but they will get better, and more confidence the more they play in this system.  Here is another overlooked fact.  Those early years is when the offensive line was first coming together as well.  It takes time for these units to become cohesive. 

The other thing, is that we have been in just about every game we've played, so of course the coaches are going to play it a little more close to the vest, so I understand the playing it safe mentality so far, although it can be a little frustrating.

Anyhow, just want to see the offense, and defense progress each week and get better and we'll be alright.

GO BILLS!!!!!!

792444[/snapback]

Enough with the common sense.

I don't think "Relax" would've been in your thread title if Robinson caught that bomb on the last drive. Close to the vest almost cost them a game that they dominated. (By close to the vest, I mean settling for 3 when they had a chance to put the game away with a TD. Overall I liked the play calling.)

You are exactly right that the coaching staff is bringing JP along slowly, but it did almost cost them the game. When 1st and goal at the 5 results in 4th and goal at the 5, it's time to analyze your play calling. I agree that Fairchild should bring JP along slowly, but there are times you have to take chances. You have to capitalize in the red zone!

yeah, it's really too bad that in 3 trips to the red zone, we scored 2 TDs and 1 FG ...

Red zone was very good yesterday. Getting to the red zone still needs some improvement, but I'm happier this year than last year.

yeah, it's really too bad that in 3 trips to the red zone, we scored 2 TDs and 1 FG ...

Red zone was very good yesterday.  Getting to the red zone still needs some improvement, but I'm happier this year than last year.

792534[/snapback]

First of all, you are correct. I'm not trying to disqualify a win in what was an overall dominating performance by the Bills. Good to see Willis power his way into the end zone. Price's TD was 2nd & goal from the 8, and he caught the ball on his stomach at the 10. Thankfully, Minnesota did not feel like tackling on that play and Peerless was able to scamper back near the 20 before finally squeezing down the sideline and in. I'm not here to be negative or disqualify a TD, but that was 1/3 extreme luck, 1/3 Price's resiliance, and 1/3 horrible defense. If they touch Price down at the 10, Bills history suggests a FG would've resulted there. Obviously it doesn't matter because Price made a great play.

The issue I take is the final two plays of the 3rd qtr and the first play of the 4th qtr. Three straight runs to McGahee up the middle, where the Vikes are EXTREMELY tough to run on. I like hammering McGahee inside the 10, and after the Mularkey era, it's tough to criticize. But give Losman a chance for the end zone on 3rd down. Trust him to throw the ball into row 10 if nothing is open. 21-6 early in the 4th and the Viking's would've been broken.

Good teams will punch it in from the 5 to push the foot down on the throat of the opponent. Someone said yesterday that the Bills are not a good team yet. I agree, any win at all is fantastic. They just seemed a little too happy with 3 points in that situation, and it almost bit them in the ass.

Red zone was very good yesterday.  Getting to the red zone still needs some improvement, but I'm happier this year than last year.

792534[/snapback]

I'll take 60+% red zone conversion every week. You have to admit the PP score was a fluke, we really should have lost yardage on that. A TD is a TD and will never complain about that. All I am saying is the calling has been very conservative in the red zone and the Bills need to get more aggressive to be successful.

The Chargers dominated the Ravens yesterday but lost because they got conservative. The Bills missed the playoffs in '04 by one game, and they dominated Jacksonville but lost in the opener. It has been mentioned many times- the teams in the NFL are so close, that the margin of winning and losing often boils down to three or four plays. Letting a team hang around by settling for FG's even though you are controlling all aspects of the game is a recipe for disaster.

Fans of teams coached by Schottenheimer have seen it all too often. The Chargers are in relatively the same boat as the Bills- inexperienced QB, great RB, solid defense, competitive division. Wouldn't you rather miss the playoffs going for it rather than trying to milk your way in?

Same old Martyball