Freedom of Speech?

Fezmid

The !@#$ you talking about.

He called someone an idiot.  Its not like he joked that he had a bomb.  :doh:

789787[/snapback]

Exactly.

Unfortunately there's a lot of people who think like Wacka does (no offense)... Gladly throw away our rights for a false sense of security. :lol: "Act the way we tell you citizen, it's for your own good."

Our founding fathers are rolling over in their graves.

CW

Error on the side of caution. I know in some of those al qaeda training manuals they have found, one of the ways they advised to get on American planes without attracting attention was to write "Kip Hawley is an Idjit (sic)" on your bags.

That said, things are getting so sophisticated these days, there are Super Genius Terrorists planting things like "Kip Hawley is an Idjit" on bags because the TSA would think no way a terrorist would be that stupid, and so they'd let dudes like that through.

Error on the side of caution. I know in some of those al qaeda training manuals they have found, one of the ways they advised to get on American planes without attracting attention was to write "Kip Hawley is an Idjit (sic)" on your bags.

Thank said, things are getting so sophisticated these days, there are Super Genius Terrorists planning things like "Kip Hawley is an Idjit" on bags because the TSA would think no way a terrorist would be that stupid, and so they'd like dudes like that through.

789923[/snapback]

<_<:lol:

What I'm saying is don't antagonize people that have the power to have you strip searched.

Go to the Peace Bridge and make a joke about carrrying some contraband. Count how many seconds it takes before they have you bent over and they are putting on the latex glove for a cavity search!

Don't prod the bear.

Again, the guy wsa a smart aleck a-hole.

What I'm saying is  don't antagonize people that have the power to have you strip searched.

Go to the Peace Bridge and make a joke about carrrying some contraband.  Count how many seconds  it takes before they have you bent over and they are putting on the latex glove for a cavity search!

Don't prod the bear.

Again, the guy wsa a smart aleck a-hole.

789941[/snapback]

Except that he didn't make a "joke" about doing anything illegal or wrong.

RTFA (Read The !@#$ing Article)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A Wisconsin man who wrote "Kip Hawley is an Idiot" on a plastic bag containing toiletries said he was detained at an airport security checkpoint for about 25 minutes before authorities concluded the statement was not a threat.

Exactly.

Unfortunately there's a lot of people who think like Wacka does (no offense)...  Gladly throw away our rights for a false sense of security. <_<  "Act the way we tell you citizen, it's for your own good."

Our founding fathers are rolling over in their graves.

CW

789798[/snapback]

He has the right to say what he wants, and the airline has the right to kick him of their planes. I don't believe flying is considered a right. When did "freedom of speech" become "freedom from consequences for idiotic speech". If someone comes into your business and starts bad mouthing your product, you can tell him to leave. If he does not leave, you can have him removed.

He has the right to say what he wants, and the airline has the right to kick him of their planes.  I don't believe flying is considered a right.  When did "freedom of speech" become "freedom from consequences for idiotic speech".  If someone comes into your business and starts bad mouthing your product, you can tell him to leave.  If he does not leave, you can have him removed.

790293[/snapback]

Doesn't anyone read the article?

The TSA is not an airline.

Doesn't anyone read the article?

The TSA is not an airline.

790405[/snapback]

So it has nothing to do with the fact that he was in an airport getting on a companies plane? I don't remember hearing about the TSA taking away liquids and tweezers in public places. These policies apply only to flying on comercial planes. If a store has a policy on wearing shoes, and a policeman is required to remove a shoeless patron, is it the police that are restricting his right to go barefoot? I understand the article, maybe you should read it again.

So it has nothing to do with the fact that he was in an airport getting on a companies plane?  I don't remember hearing about the TSA taking away liquids and tweezers in public places.  These policies apply only to flying on comercial planes.  If a store has a policy on wearing shoes, and a policeman is required to remove a shoeless patron, is it the police that are restricting his right to go barefoot?  I understand the article, maybe you should read it again.

790562[/snapback]

No you don't, because he wasn't on a plane or even in a terminal gate when it happened.

No you don't, because he wasn't on a plane or even in a terminal gate when it happened.

790627[/snapback]

Why was he going through the security checkpoint if he wasn't going to get on the plane then? In all the airports I've been to lately you cannot go through the security checkpoints unless you are boarding a plane. Maybe he just liked the restroom on the other side of the security checkpoint? Sometimes stories leave out the obvious points and expect you to realize things like...People go through airport security to get on a plane!

Why was he going through the security checkpoint if he wasn't going to get on the plane then?  In all the airports I've been to lately you cannot go through the security checkpoints unless you are boarding a plane.  Maybe he just liked the restroom on the other side of the security checkpoint?  Sometimes stories leave out the obvious points and expect you to realize things like...People go through airport security to get on a plane!

790707[/snapback]

What the !@#$ are you blabbering about and how does this nonsense relate to the !@#$ing Transportation Security Administration (note: not an airline) detaining someone for writing down that one of their employees was an idiot?

So it has nothing to do with the fact that he was in an airport getting on a companies plane?  I don't remember hearing about the TSA taking away liquids and tweezers in public places.  These policies apply only to flying on comercial planes.  If a store has a policy on wearing shoes, and a policeman is required to remove a shoeless patron, is it the police that are restricting his right to go barefoot?  I understand the article, maybe you should read it again.

790562[/snapback]

TSA is a GOVERNMENT AGENCY and we, as citizens of the US, have a right to challenge the government. Those who say "Just shutup" are ignoring the sacrifices of not only our forefathers, but of the men and women serving overseason.

The guy wasn't causing a distraction, wasn't threatening anybody, wasn't doing anything wrong. And the Peace Bridge comment? Contraband isn't an accurate analogy, but having a flag on your car that says "Socialized Medicine sucks" IS an accurate analogy - and shouldn't have any effect on crossing the border.

CW

What I'm saying is  don't antagonize people that have the power to have you strip searched.

Yes, but we should have checks and balances in this country. The TSA currently has WAY too much power, especially if writing that someone is an idiot on a baggee gets you detained.

Heading towards a police state if nobody can challenge the government without fear of incarceration.

CW

TSA is a GOVERNMENT AGENCY and we, as citizens of the US, have a right to challenge the government.  Those who say "Just shutup" are ignoring the sacrifices of not only our forefathers, but of the men and women serving overseason.

The guy wasn't causing a distraction, wasn't threatening anybody, wasn't doing anything wrong.  And the Peace Bridge comment?  Contraband isn't an accurate analogy, but having a flag on your car that says "Socialized Medicine sucks" IS an accurate analogy - and shouldn't have any effect on crossing the border.

CW

791230[/snapback]

Arguably, bringing a bag full of anything with "So-and-so at the TSA is and idiot" is threatening. I don't think so...sitting at a keyboard watching idiots discuss it on the internet. But if I actually worked as an airport security official and witnessed it at the gate, I might think otherwise.

Arguably, bringing a bag full of anything with "So-and-so at the TSA is and idiot" is threatening.  I don't think so...sitting at a keyboard watching idiots discuss it on the internet.  But if I actually worked as an airport security official and witnessed it at the gate, I might think otherwise.

791255[/snapback]

If I see you on the street adn yell, "Hey, CTM, you're an idiot," that would be threatening? Rude and offensive, yes, but I don't see how it'd be threatening, and I don't think the police would even bother responding to a call like that (although I am guessing...)

Regardless, I think this being in the public news is definately a good thing.

CW

Does the word "context" mean anything to you?  :doh:

791634[/snapback]

Fine -- if I'm standing outside the White House and yell, "Bush is an idiot!!!" I wouldn't be arrested/detained. That contextual enough for you?

CW