Are you ready for...

buckeyemike

Because that's where Super Bowl XLII will be played.

This is a 20 year naming rights deal, paid for by the country's largest private university (note: if it doesn't have a student union, cute coeds, and at least a basketball team, it's not a university, it's a trade school).

A question to the denizens of the board, which corporate sponsor would have provided a better name:

1) University of Phoenix Stadium

2) Pink Taco Stadium

:D:doh:

The guy who owns University of Phoenix is insanely wealthy and pretty much insane. Very strange guy. He could have paid 100-200 mil and it wouldn't affect him.

The colleges are not really colletges, I agree, but actually are a prettygood idea. The students learn there a lot of stuff other students don't get. I did some work for them a bunch of years back and was pretty impressed.

This is a 20 year naming rights deal, paid for by the country's largest private university (note:  if it doesn't have a student union, cute coeds, and at least a basketball team, it's not a university, it's a trade school).

A question to the denizens of the board, which corporate sponsor would have provided a better name:

1)  University of Phoenix Stadium

2)  Pink Taco Stadium

:D  :doh:

787065[/snapback]

I am currently enrolled as a student in their online Information Technology degree track - and it is a legit University - with numerous campuses. It is a huge school, actually - and the degrees are very desireable from an employer's standpoint. Tons of good football fans enrolled as well - I always ask in the class. 0:)

This is a 20 year naming rights deal, paid for by the country's largest private university (note:  if it doesn't have a student union, cute coeds, and at least a basketball team, it's not a university, it's a trade school).

2)  Pink Taco Stadium

0:)  :doh:

787065[/snapback]

Appropriate name, since the Cardinals don't have much of a chance at anything more than a BCS bowl game. :D

But how the !@#$ do they not name it "Pat Tillman Stadium"? Money-grubbing pond scum NFL pieces of sh--... :doh:

Appropriate name, since the Cardinals don't have much of a chance at anything more than a BCS bowl game.   :D

But how the !@#$ do they not name it "Pat Tillman Stadium"?  Money-grubbing pond scum NFL pieces of sh--...   :doh:

787091[/snapback]

I know the plaza out in front of the stadium is named after Pat Tillman.

But the more I think about it, you're right. The name of the Cardinals' stadium should be Pat Tillman Memorial Stadium.

isn't that where shaq just got an advanced degree from? good for him whatever school, education is always a good thing!

2)  Pink Taco Stadium

:D  :doh:

787065[/snapback]

I know the plaza out in front of the stadium is named after Pat Tillman.

But the more I think about it, you're right.  The name of the Cardinals' stadium should be Pat Tillman Memorial Stadium.

787094[/snapback]

How does Ralph rate? Why don't you B word that we don't have Kalsu stadium? As a matter of fact, wasn't Rich stadium the first stadium with a naming rights deal?

How does Ralph rate?  Why don't you B word that we don't have Kalsu stadium?    As a matter of fact, wasn't Rich stadium the first stadium with a naming rights deal?

787112[/snapback]

I actually would support renaming the place Bob Kalsu Stadium. Until recently, I didn't know that the issue had once come up and that the Old Man turned it down.

RWS was named Rich Stadium as the first stadium with a naming rights deal in 1973...the total fee paid by Rich Products to Erie County was the princely sum of $25,000.00 (the total cost of the stadium: $21 million).

I'm pretty sure your # is way low. I think the # was $1,000,000 over 25 years.

Update: $1.5 Million for 25 Years...

787784[/snapback]

Whoops, it seems my prior # was incorrect...the figure is $60,000.00 per year for 25 years.

Thus the name change after the 25th season of Bills football at the stadium.