Clements

DPR4444

Clements went to Ohio State, but thats besides the point.  He plays soft for a big corner (6-0, 210).  What I don't understand is the 8 - 10 yard cushion the receivers got when Pennington didn't throw a ball over 10 yards the whole day

785512[/snapback]

That was the problem, they weren't pressing the receivers. I know they were overloading the middle to make Pennington throw the ball outside, but they showed his arm too much respect by letting those receivers run underneath coverage. Make him beat you with his worst pitch. As for Nate, I haven't watched the game on tape yet, but it seemed to me he was hardly thrown on. It was McGee and Greer who were getting burned. Somehow Coles kept coming up with Greer in coverage. Next time they might want to matchup Nate or McGee to avoid that.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not what I saw yesterday.  They weren't afraid to go right at him and his play was very uninspired.  Don't get me wrong, I think what you're saying happened the first two weeks - but this week it wasn't the case.

786850[/snapback]

After looking at the 2ndhalf tape and runnning down the playbyplay on NFL.com the empirical evidence just doesn't agree with that. The Jets took over 30 dropbacks and there was only about 5 times that Pennington threw the ball anywhere near Clements. There were other times when they threw teh ball to that side of the field which could give the illusion that they weren't afraid to throw at Clements but they were sure not to create opportunities for Nate to make plays on it. They threw a couple hitches over there but the ball didn't even cross the LOS (nor did they get squat out of them), they threw a couple screens to that side but those were designed to attack young KEllison on that side not go after Nate, they threw a couple outs to the TE over there but again they weren't going after Clements they were going after the rookie LB on that side.

They took one shot downfield in hte first half and later threw to Clements side twice in a row on one series. In the second half they only threw near him twice (and didn't get squat except a 3rddown stop). There was one series in the 4thqrtr where the Bills actually flipped their corners and the Jets went right after McGee, which again gave the illusion they were attacking Clements when they really weren't.

I agree that the Jets went after Nate more than either NE or maimi, but only throwing 5 balls out of 30 anywhere near him is not exactly a show of fearlessness. Opponents are afraid to put the ball near him and its definitely showing in their gameplans and the decisions their QB's make.

Cya

Yes, the concept of any player slacking off in the year before free agency is moronic.  But I'm not talking about any player in general.  I'm talking specifically about what I have seen from Clements this year -- he seems [to me] tentative, unwilling to sacrifice his body to make a tackle, and possibly afraid of an injury which could endanger that big next contract.  Is that possibility moronic?

786979[/snapback]

Uh-huh, I'm afraid it is. You're talking about a conscious decision on his part. It might be different if he had a stellar year last year and we were

near the end of this season but as it stands it would be absolutely ludicrous to think NC is there thinking..."If I can just coast through this year

I'll see my $7mil/year deal."

If he is thinking anything along those lines, then he is the moron.

I would think that if he is tentative, it would be for any other reason apart from 'saving his body'. More likely that he knows he needs a good year this year(BIG contract year) & he is over-thinking his play rather than simply playing.

Uh-huh, I'm afraid it is.  You're talking about a conscious decision on his part.  It might be different if he had a stellar year last year and we were

near the end of this season but as it stands it would be absolutely ludicrous to think NC is there thinking..."If I can just coast through this year

I'll see my $7mil/year deal."

If he is thinking anything along those lines, then he is the moron.

I would think that if he is tentative, it would be for any other reason apart from 'saving his body'.  More likely that he knows he needs a good year this year(BIG contract year) & he is over-thinking his play rather than simply playing.

787003[/snapback]

Again, you are talking about concepts, I'm talking about what I've observed.

It appears we will continue to disagree, so there's no point in taking up more bandwith. Or disintegrating into personal insults.