I would rather have JP than Pennington

Kelly the Dog

First, let me preface this by saying that Chad Pennington was the reason I thought the jets won, and JP was likely the reason the Bills lost. I also think that Pennington has outplayed Losman in each of the three games so far this year. But it doesn't matter. I used to think Drew was the biggest tease in the NFL but Pennington is even worse.

CP is absoluteky great at what he did today. Perhaps the best in the league. Right up there with Brady. But I will bet anyone here right now that pennington will never even make it to a Super Bowl let alone win one in his entire career. He is great at one thing. IF he has great coaching and great defense and great special teams and great luck, sure it's possible that he could win. But if you take away the one thing he does great, he will never win. And that's why if I were a GM I would take Losman over Pennington. At least with Losman you have a chance. IMO, with Pennington you have a good chance to win games like this. You have little to no chance at winning it all.

He simply cannot beat you except in games like this. That's why I think the Bills were thoroughly outcoached in this game. You have to find a way to not let him beat you the only way he can beat you. Sure, it's difficult, and you cannot do it every time. But we let him do the only thing he can can do and we lost because of it.

Losman may prove to be a far worse QB than Pennington. That is completely up in the air right now. But I know or I am convinced that you cannot win with Pennington. He's the biggest tease in the league. I would much prefer, say, Brad Johnson than Chad Pennington. And right now I would taker Losman over him, too. The Jets are goig nowhere with him, regardless of how absolutely fantastic he is at the short game.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On a bad team (which the Bills & Jets are) I'd rather have upside also.  On a good team not so much.  You mentioned Brad Johnson, who is clearly better than both; but to me he's a lot closer to Pennington than JP.

784775[/snapback]

Absolutely, but to me he is far better than Pennington. I think a team can win with Brad Johnson. Obviously, they already have. And I always thought he was underrated, But he can get the ball downfield. Pennington cannot.

First, let me preface this by saying that Chad Pennington was the reason I thought the jets won, and JP was likely the reason the Bills lost. I also think that Pennington has outplayed Losman in each of the three games so far this year. But it doesn't matter. I used to think Drew was the biggest tease in the NFL but Pennington is even worse.

CP is absoluteky great at what he did today. Perhaps the best in the league. Right up there with Brady. But I will bet anyone here right now that pennington will never even make it to a Super Bowl let alone win one in his entire career. He is great at one thing. IF he has great coaching and great defense and great special teams and great luck, sure it's possible that he could win. But if you take away the one thing he does great, he will never win. And that's why if I were a GM I would take Losman over Pennington. At least with Losman you have a chance. IMO, with Pennington you have a good chance to win games like this. You have little to no chance at winning it all.

He simply cannot beat you except in games like this. That's why I think the Bills were thoroughly outcoached in this game. You have to find a way to not let him beat you the only way he can beat you. Sure, it's difficult, and you cannot do it every time. But we let him do the only thing he can can do and we lost because of it.

Losman may prove to be a far worse QB than Pennington. That is completely up in the air right now. But I know or I am convinced that you cannot win with Pennington. He's the biggest tease in the league. I would much prefer, say, Brad Johnson than Chad Pennington. And right now I would taker Losman over him, too. The Jets are goig nowhere with him, regardless of how absolutely fantastic he is at the short game.

784761[/snapback]

What exactly is Pennington's tease? You say that you cannot win with Pennington, but it seems to me that he has won more games than he has lost as a starter, and is 2-2 in the playoffs, including winning on the road in San Diego, and taking the Steelers to overtime in Pittsburgh (a game their kicker lost for them).

JDG

No. Throwing crisp short passes. Not making mistakes. Moving the chains. The difference is that Brady can get the ball downfiield when he has to. Pennington cannot. It's an enormous difference.

784789[/snapback]

Brady wasn't a good downfield thrower until 2003 though. You don't think the Bears can win with Pennington?

What exactly is Pennington's tease?  You say that you cannot win with Pennington, but it seems to me that he has won more games than he has lost as a starter, and is 2-2 in the playoffs, including winning on the road in San Diego, and taking the Steelers to overtime in Pittsburgh (a game their kicker lost for them). 

JDG

784804[/snapback]

Winning more games than losing is the definition of tease. That is exactly what you will get with him. And you will get no further. I will bet anyone anything they wish that he will never play in a Super Bowl, let alone win one.

Winning more games than losing is the definition of tease. That is exactly what you will get with him. And you will get no further. I will bet anyone anything they wish that he will never play in a Super Bowl, let alone win one.

784814[/snapback]

The 'tease' is the sucker bet you are proposing. Peyton Manning hasn't played in a Super Bowl either. Dan Marino went 14 seasons without playing in a Super Bowl.

Chad Pennington, when he's been healthy, has an impressive resume under his belt. He's 2-2 in the playoffs, and by rights should be better than that. He has a ridiculous TD/INT ratio in the red zone.

I think your post does, however, highlight your infatutation with JP Losman. It seems that you greatly over-value arm strength and greatly under-value decision-making. Pennington is one of the best decision-makers in the League, and that counts for an awful lot in my book. As the Bills learned today, things like sacks, turnovers, and bad decisions lose games for football teams.

JDG

The 'tease' is the sucker bet you are proposing.  Peyton Manning hasn't played in a Super Bowl either.  Dan Marino went 14 seasons without playing in a Super Bowl. 

Chad Pennington, when he's been healthy, has an impressive resume under his belt.  He's 2-2 in the playoffs, and by rights should be better than that.  He has a ridiculous TD/INT ratio in the red zone.

I think your post does, however, highlight your infatutation with JP Losman.  It seems that you greatly over-value arm strength and greatly under-value decision-making.  Pennington is one of the best decision-makers in the League, and that counts for an awful lot in my book.  As the Bills learned today, things like sacks, turnovers, and bad decisions lose games for football teams. 

JDG

784843[/snapback]

I just said Pennington is a better QB right now and has played better than JP in all three games. How exactly is that an infatuation with Losman and greatly over valuing him. I think Pennington is much better than Losman right now. But that is why he is a tease. Bledsoe is a lot better, too, but he is tease. You think you can win with him but you cannot. JP is an unknown. I will bet you $1000 right now that Pennington willl never play in a Super Bowl, let alone win one. Do you want to take that bet?

We knew that we'd have growing pains with J.P. Losman this year since Mularkey bitched out last season and benched him.

The interception was just plain bad. But the other two turnovers came on blind-side hits that would have happened to anyone.

Right now, i'm feeling okay with J.P. Losman. However, i'm a little concerned with his left side protection and the WR's under Evans' abilities to CONSISTENTLY get open.

I will bet you $1000 right now that Pennington willl never play in a Super Bowl, let alone win one. Do you want to take that bet?

784863[/snapback]

Only 1 team from the AFC plays in the SB per season out of 16 teams.

Pennington's got what... 5 years left? If his arm holds up.

Your contentions notwithstanding (and I think they're spot on), this is a bet that only someone who eats Retard-Sandwiches would make.

Only 1 team from the AFC plays in the SB per season out of 16 teams.

Pennington's got what... 5 years left? If his arm holds up.

Your contentions notwithstanding (and I think they're spot on), this is a bet that only someone who eats Retard-Sandwiches would make.

784883[/snapback]

Which is why the thesis of the post is "I would rather have JP than Pennington". Even though pennington outplayed him.

I will bet you $1000 right now that Pennington willl never play in a Super Bowl, let alone win one. Do you want to take that bet?

784863[/snapback]

And to think that you accuse me of not reading your posts.

Your problem is that you talk out of both sides of your mouth. Somehow you manage to rip into me anytime that I criticize Losman, and yet you always have some half-hearted criticism of Losman of your own to trot out anytime someone tries to pin down your opinion. Your infatuation with Losman and his arm-strenght is long-standing position of yours on this board. You have consistently posted that you love Losman's arm strength, and that therfore the Bills just need to force-feed Losman experience to see if he gets better. This is in contrast to my position that we should play a QB who exhibits better decision-making, rather than a QB who simply exhibits the cannon arm. (For the record, the QB the Bills should be playing, IMHO, is Losman.) Because you downplay decision-making relative to arm strength, you also play down the evidence from Losman's growing body of work (12 games now and in his third season) and try to pretend that he is a complete unknown. Of course, Chad Pennington looked pretty good after 12 games - and it didn't take the supposedly noodle-armed Pennington 12 games to throw for 300+ yards.)

In any event, what, we are going to define Chad Pennington's career as a QB solely on the basis of whether or not he plays in a Super Bowl? Would you accept that benchmark for JP Losman, let alone accept that bet???? I think that Chad Pennington has been and will continue to be a very successful NFL QB, and I'm not about to define any QB"s career by getting to a Super Bowl.

JDG

Which is why the thesis of the post is "I would rather have JP than Pennington". Even though pennington outplayed him.

784892[/snapback]

How about this - if we had Chad Pennington, the Bills would not have had a safety against New England, and would have won today, and would be 3-0 right now and thinking playoffs..... I'm sure we'd just go on the road to San Diego and Pittsburgh in the playoffs and have no shot to win, right?

Or maybe we'd face the Colts in the playoffs? Oh wait, the last time Chad Pennington did that, in his *third year* I might add, he won 41-0. Nevermind....

JDG

We knew that we'd have growing pains with J.P. Losman this year since Mularkey bitched out last season and benched him.

I don't know any NFL coach that would continue to start a QB who had just passed for 113, 75, and 75 yards on three consecutive weeks while completing less than 47% of his passes in each.

The interception was just plain bad. But the other two turnovers came on blind-side hits that would have happened to anyone.

784869[/snapback]

Perhaps. But other QB's would have either read or felt the blitz and gotten rid of the football.

JDG