Would you rather have football players...

Lori

BADOL, you nailed it, bro. Hit it right out of the ballpark, and still going....

From the postgame discussion at Lot 1/Pole 5: IMO, physically, this team has every bit as much 'talent' as New England. Look at where each team's starters were drafted out of college..... (I'm going to list more than 11 for each unit, based on what set they decide to run)

Bills offense:

1st-round - Bledsoe, M. Williams, Moulds, Evans, McGahee

2nd-round - Henry, Reed

3rd-round - Jennings

4th-round -

5th-round - Villarrial

6th-round - Shelton

7th-round - Teague

UDFA - Campbell, Neufeld, L. Smith

Bills defense:

1st-round - Adams, Spikes, Clements, Vincent

2nd-round - Schobel, Kelsay/Denney, (Milloy)

3rd-round - Wire

4th-round - McGee, Prioleau

5th-round -

6th-round - Reese, K. Thomas

7th-round -

UDFA - Fletcher, Posey, P. Williams

Patriots offense:

1st-round - Daniel Graham

2nd-round - Dillon, Matt Light, Christian Fauria, (Branch)

3rd-round -

4th-round - (Dan Klecko, LB started at FB)

5th-round - Russ Hochstein, Dan Koppen

6th-round - Brady

7th-round - David Givens, Patrick Pass

8th-round - Troy Brown

UDFA - Joe Andruzzi, Tom Ashworth, David Patten

Patriots defense:

1st-round - McGinest, Law, Seymour, Ty Warren, Wilfork, Poole

2nd-round - Eugene Wilson, Ted Johnson

3rd-round - Tedy Bruschi, Mike Vrabel

4th-round -

5th-round - Rodney Harrison

6th-round -

7th-round -

UDFA -

By my count (and not counting McGahee), the Bills started 8 first-round picks to the Pats' 7 yesterday. For a guy to get drafted that high, somebody along the line had to think he'd turn out to be a truly special player, no?

So what's the diff? Between the ears. And I'm not talking IQ tests or SAT scores here, either. BADOL's quote, the one that's still bugging me almost 24 hours later:

"We have 'athletes'. New England has football players.

I'd give New England any two first-round draft picks off our current roster for Tedy Bruschi. Right now. And they'd be nuts to take that deal, because IMO Bruschi is the reincarnation of Chris Spielman. Why'd he last till the third round? Because his "measurables" didn't look so hot for a college d-lineman attempting to transition to LB. He was a "tweener", according to Joel Buchsbaum, who "may be better-suited as a pass-rushing end in the CFL than NFL because of size, but he can be a situational rusher in the NFL and might even be an inside linebacker in some schemes."

Doesn't matter how tall he is or what Bruschi's 40 time was at the combine, the guy can play football. And Scott Pioli - although he can't take credit for Bruschi; he was in Baltimore when TB was drafted by Bill Parcells - has loaded up their roster with guys like him. Meanwhile, our front office - and the one that preceded it, for that matter - appears to be searching for guys who can run the 40 in 4.2 or set benchpress records.

And when it comes down to making THE play at the end of a close game, it shows. We have players who think they're playmakers. They have players who just make plays.

I totally agree with that. Tom Donahoe has become totally transfixed on taking a daring shot at something instead of the sure thing. We could have had Steinbach or Dallas Clarke but instead we took a flyer on Willis. We spent a high pick on Ryan Denney in what in my opinion was a move to spite the Steelers. Instead of drafting a QB of the future we traded for an over the hill washed up Drew Bledsoe. The Pats don't work that way. They draft good smart football players. They sprinkle in a few quality vet players like Harrison, Colvin, and Dillon and their coaching staff is excellent at making them work like a team. We have NONE of that.

Until we get 1 oz of that we won't be competitive. We will continue to be a team that tries to make waves in the offseason but becomes a disaster when it counts.

BADOL, you nailed it, bro. Hit it right out of the ballpark, and still going....

56085[/snapback]

you know...i'm starting to notice...that bastard is right a lot...2 years ago at the charger tailgate he told me mike williams was a fat sissy and i didn't want to hear it...i never forgot it though, and now lo and behold...

if i ever make it up there ( i might be able to get up for the fish game, but i am starting to ask myself "why bother?")i will weep right along with you guys, cause i don't see this changing around any time soon...

Tedy Bruschi speaking about Bills ill fated play:

``I had seen that a couple of times in this game,'' Patriots' linebacker Tedy Bruschi said, ``and I was thinking I wasn't going to bite on it this time. They put the ball in Drew's hands to try to make a big play, I saw the play-action fake and I really didn't bite on it, and all of a sudden he set up to throw and the ball was right there.''

Bruschi came totally untouched into his former teammate, but instead of applying a bone-crushing hit for highlight-film purposes, he did the smart thing -- the sort of play that wins football games.

``Instead of going for the big hit, I slapped at the football and then brought him down,'' said Bruschi, whose forced fumble was scooped up by defensive end Richard Seymour, and the big guy rambled 68 yards with the recovery to put the Patriots up by what eventually became the final score, 31-17.

- this shows difference between athlete and football player, Bruschi clearly in the game learning his lessons THINKING how to react making decisions , not just reacting, Bruschi a football player .

Bootleg

Tedy Bruschi speaking about Bills ill fated play:

``I had seen that a couple of times in this game,'' Patriots' linebacker Tedy Bruschi said, ``and I was thinking I wasn't going to bite on it this time. They put the ball in Drew's hands to try to make a big play, I saw the play-action fake and I really didn't bite on it, and all of a sudden he set up to throw and the ball was right there.''

Bruschi came totally untouched into his former teammate, but instead of applying a bone-crushing hit for highlight-film purposes, he did the smart thing -- the sort of play that wins football games.

``Instead of going for the big hit, I slapped at the football and then brought him down,'' said Bruschi, whose forced fumble was scooped up by defensive end Richard Seymour, and the big guy rambled 68 yards with the recovery to put the Patriots up by what eventually became the final score, 31-17.

-  this shows difference between athlete and football player, Bruschi clearly in the game  learning his lessons THINKING how to react  making decisions , not just reacting, Bruschi a football player .

56651[/snapback]

When we get a few more Tedy Bruschis and a few less Coy Wire's we will be a good team again.

Unfortunately Tom Donahoe seems better at finding the Coy Wire's and not the Bruschi's.

you know...i'm starting to notice...that bastard is right a lot...2 years ago at the charger tailgate he told me mike williams was a fat sissy and i didn't want to hear it...i never forgot it though, and now lo and behold...

if i ever make it up there ( i  might be able to get up for the fish game, but i am starting to ask myself "why bother?")i will weep right along with you guys, cause i don't see this changing around any time soon...

56650[/snapback]

How you been Jester?

How you been Jester?

56658[/snapback]

hey BF, i'm good! fall is finally here, our team is running good, i am running good, my students are not going bonkers yet, and i got a new car....what more could you ask for out of life?.... B)

....OTHER THAN FRIKKING WIN BY THE BILLS ONCE IN AWHILE :( :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

:P

From the postgame discussion at Lot 1/Pole 5: IMO, physically, this team has every bit as much 'talent' as New England. Look at where each team's starters were drafted out of college..... (I'm going to list more than 11 for each unit, based on what set they decide to run)

Bills offense:

2nd-round - Henry, Reed

3rd-round - Jennings

4th-round -

5th-round - Villarrial

6th-round - Shelton

7th-round - Teague

Bills defense:

3rd-round - Wire

5th-round -

7th-round -

Patriots offense:

3rd-round -

6th-round - Brady

8th-round - Troy Brown

Patriots defense:

4th-round -

6th-round -

7th-round -

UDFA -

By my count (and not counting McGahee), the Bills started 8 first-round picks to the Pats' 7 yesterday. For a guy to get drafted that high, somebody along the line had to think he'd turn out to be a truly special player, no?

So what's the diff? Between the ears. And I'm not talking IQ tests or SAT scores here, either. BADOL's quote, the one that's still bugging me almost 24 hours later:

I'd give New England any two first-round draft picks off our current roster for Tedy Bruschi. Right now. And they'd be nuts to take that deal, because IMO Bruschi is the reincarnation of Chris Spielman. Why'd he last till the third round? Because his "measurables" didn't look so hot for a college d-lineman attempting to transition to LB. He was a "tweener", according to Joel Buchsbaum, who "may be better-suited as a pass-rushing end in the CFL than NFL because of size, but he can be a situational rusher in the NFL and might even be an inside linebacker in some schemes."

Doesn't matter how tall he is or what Bruschi's 40 time was at the combine, the guy can play football. And Scott Pioli - although he can't take credit for Bruschi; he was in Baltimore when TB was drafted by Bill Parcells - has loaded up their roster with guys like him. Meanwhile, our front office - and the one that preceded it, for that matter - appears to be searching for guys who can run the 40 in 4.2 or set benchpress records.

And when it comes down to making THE play at the end of a close game, it shows. We have players who think they're playmakers. They have players who just make plays.

56085[/snapback]

football players! (with heart)you broke my heart frado,now your nothing to me

This is exactly like the situation with our USA olympic basketball team. Our whole roster was loaded with players who are human highlight reels and very athletically gifted...all those other countries that whoooped us had guys just about as athletic as a wet fart but they could play basketball, they could shoot, they could defend, they could win...and they did.

Donahoe needs to find more of these types of players(not basketball players of course) for our team and stop drafting the player who can jump the highest.

ALSO it looks like to me that the Patriots look strictly for their defensive players in the first half of the draft, rounds 1-4, and it has worked very well for them. They then draft OL in the 2nd half of the draft and develop those linemen into nfl caliber players. We should start doing more of this and less of what we are doing. We can start by doing it this year with our top 5 draft pick...OH WAIT DONAHOE GAVE IT TO THE COWGIRLS!!! :angry:

Every time I think of the difference between athletes and football players, one name jumps immediately to mind: Damien Covington.

I'll take the football players, thank you...

56727[/snapback]

I think of Chris Spielman

Bills offense:

2nd-round - Henry, Reed

3rd-round - Jennings

4th-round -

5th-round - Villarrial

6th-round - Shelton

7th-round - Teague

Bills defense:

3rd-round - Wire

5th-round -

7th-round -

Patriots offense:

3rd-round -

6th-round - Brady

8th-round - Troy Brown

Patriots defense:

4th-round -

6th-round -

7th-round -

UDFA -

56085[/snapback]

I wrote about this exact point after the Game yesterday...I'd rather have smart Players that play smart over great athletes who play stupid any day...

I do think your critisism of the previous regime is a bit unwarranted. Butler and Dwight Adams were strong believers in intellegence on and off the Field. Bill Polian and Marv Levy brought that philosophy to Buffalo, and Butler did a pretty good job of keeping the tradition for years. He definitely slipped a bit towards the end with some of his picks, but JB, Adams, and A.J. Smith always looked for smart, productive Players. The Roster Butler left behind was a pretty decent one, though it was WELL over the Cap, there was quite a few very smart Football Players still here. TD got rid of most of them out of Cap necessity, and replaced them in time with those great athletes you speak of that come up short on most Sundays...

Pretty sad what has happened here...Very sad... :angry: