ESPN Article on Bills' Def - ESPN INSIDER

CJPearl2

It's a short blog today as I'm loaded all morning with ESPN Magazine meetings (read: three-hour lunches on the company's dime). The unit that most impressed me on Sunday was the Bills' defense, in particular its front even and rookie safety tandem of Donte Whitner and Ko Simpson.

The Bills might have eclipsed the Dolphins as possessing the most feared pass rush in the AFC East. They took apart New England's line last week and confused Tom Brady with their schemes. If you're confusing Brady, you're blitzing well.

The Bills wrecked Daunte Culpepper's home debut, and it was a big debut after several un-clutch moments in the season opening loss to Pittsburgh. Miami had 10 days to prep for this. And yet until the final minutes the Bills were shutting out a Dolphins team that many -­ thankfully not I ­- picked at the least a division champ and the most a Super Bowl participant.

They did it without vet Troy Vincent (injured reserve) and with five rookies starters. Culpepper's stats during the game looked good ­- he hit 10 of his first 11 and ended up 23-of-32 -­ but he was confused all day. DE Ryan Denney sacked Culpepper three times and knocked him down on a pair of other occasions. He also forced Culpepper from the pocket with 56 seconds left in the first half and the Dolphins on the verge of scoring. Culpepper rolled right and threw a dud right into the welcoming arms of linebacker Angelo Crowell, who was replacing star Takeo Spikes.

Few teams were better set up to start 0-2 with a pair of blowout losses than the Bills. Road games against the Pats and Dolphins were brutal. But Buffalo could have won in New England had its offense been more capable, and soundly whipped Miami in a game that wasn't as close as its 16-6 score indicated. It earned J.P. Losman his first win since his first start. Not to mention the attention of every team in a suddenly very competitive AFC East.

We didn't start five rooks, only three started. And Denney didn't force Culpepper out of the pocket on the INT, he was actually downfield and in perfect position to make the interception, had Crowell not been standing right in front of him.

Nitpicking. But at least someone's noticing.

my only complaint about the defense is that they leave the middle completely wide open because they drop Fletcher so far back. I know its the design of the Tampa defense but receivers always seem to be open underneath

I think the run defense will get better as the year goes on

Even with the Internet, have we really progressed far from the days when Ronald Reagan recreated Cubs games via the telegraph? "Even without vet Troy Vincent..." ? Hey, we also were missing Henry Jones.

There must be 1,000 ESPN blogger heads giving takes from the 2-minute highlight reel they saw the night before.

We didn't start five rooks, only three started. And Denney didn't force Culpepper out of the pocket on the INT, he was actually downfield and in perfect position to make the interception, had Crowell not been standing right in front of him.

Nitpicking. But at least someone's noticing.

779396[/snapback]

No - the telecast had us down as haveing 4 starters:

Ko Simpson

Donte Whitner

Kieth Ellison

Kyle Williams

As I watched KW started the game and TA came in after the first snap!

my only complaint about the defense is that they leave the middle completely wide open because they drop Fletcher so far back. I know its the design of the Tampa defense but receivers always seem to be open underneath

I think the run defense will get better as the year goes on

779401[/snapback]

I agree on both points. But it needs to be said that usually, when an offense perfectly executes its play, meaning the line protects, the receiver runs the correct precise route, the QB has time, makes the right read and throws accurately, it's going to be a completion 90% of the time. It's impossible to stop every pass. There are weaknesses in every defensive scheme. You cannot take away or cover every inch of the field. The ultimate design is not to let it kill you, not let them score, but not to just shut them out every play. That's impossible.

DE Ryan Denney sacked Culpepper three times and knocked him down on a pair of other occasions. He also forced Culpepper from the pocket with 56 seconds left in the first half and the Dolphins on the verge of scoring. Culpepper rolled right and threw a dud right into the welcoming arms of linebacker Angelo Crowell, who was replacing star Takeo Spikes.

779388[/snapback]

Not only did Denney pressure Culpepper into that crap throw, he outran the ball in the air to be right behind Crowell to make the pick in case Angelo missed it. I thought he was fast, but that's just incedible! <_<

No - the telecast had us down as haveing 4 starters:

Ko Simpson

Donte Whitner

Kieth Ellison

Kyle Williams

As I watched KW started the game and TA came in after the first snap!

779408[/snapback]

Aha...that's what I had thought, but I recall reading somewhere that only three started, so I assumed TA got the first snap over KW. Glad to hear that's not the case.