Another (Potentially) Colossal Mistake By The Refs

Reed was on the 17, the LOS was the 15.

He obviously DID engage the defensive player before the ball was caught - it wasn't even close.  You're wearing your homer glasses if you can't tell; Reed's hands were in front of him and pushing the defender while the ball was in the air.  That's engaging.  He did sometihng similar against Pittsburgh a couple years ago that also cancelled a touchdown and a probable playoff berth.

Sorry guys, but the refs aren't out to get us every single week (only against the Patriots, apparantly).

I also like how nobody seems to think that the JPL fumble (that was blown dead due to forward progress) was a case of the refs trying to screw the Dolphins.  (again, it was a good call to protect the QB, very common, and the ref started to blow the whistle right before the fumble).

CW

776460[/snapback]

I agree, I was watching the game with my Dad, brother and sister and we are all homers and yet all agreed it was PI. What ticked me off is that it really had no effect on the play at all. That defender was out of the play based on the excellent position Reed had on him. Oh well.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First, they blow the sideline call on Donte's interception last week (granted, it would have come back anyway, but for professional refs to blow potentially game changing plays like that is INEXCUSABLE).

This week, they completely botch the call on Roscoe's TD.  Not only did Reed not engage his man until Roscoe caught the ball, but as Kelso noted on the broadcast, there is NO PASS INTERFERENCE on passes behind the line of scrimmage.

Again, it likely will not effect the outcome of the game at all, but it is inexcusable for professional refs to blow these calls.

[/rant]

776171[/snapback]

But we got lucky this week because of a quick whistle as JP clearly fumbled the ball in the 3rd quarter. If the play wasn't blown dead though there was a Bill there to fall on the ball. About time for us to get a break from the refs!

But we got lucky this week because of a quick whistle as JP clearly fumbled the ball in the 3rd quarter. If the play wasn't blown dead though there was a Bill there to fall on the ball. About time for us to get a break from the refs!

They blew the whistle because JP was going to get creamed by a 2nd Miami player if the whistle hadn't blown. And as you said, there was a Bill ready to get it, so it was at best a screw-up that cost the Dols 4 yards in field position on the punt.

They blew the whistle because JP was going to get creamed by a 2nd Miami player if the whistle hadn't blown.  And as you said, there was a Bill ready to get it, so it was at best a screw-up that cost the Dols 4 yards in field position on the punt.

776622[/snapback]

Agreed - but if the teams had been reversed, everyone would be screaming that the refs don't want Buffalo to win and that they took away a turnover from us. :lol:

Agreed - but if the teams had been reversed, everyone would be screaming that the refs don't want Buffalo to win and that they took away a turnover from us.  :lol:

Not it if played-out the same way. Again with the Bills player near the ball, the Bills likely recover. Whether the whistle was blown early is subjective, and Culpepper is a tank so an early whistle likely isn't a good call in that case, but still just as valid.

First, they blow the sideline call on Donte's interception last week (granted, it would have come back anyway, but for professional refs to blow potentially game changing plays like that is INEXCUSABLE).

This week, they completely botch the call on Roscoe's TD.  Not only did Reed not engage his man until Roscoe caught the ball, but as Kelso noted on the broadcast, there is NO PASS INTERFERENCE on passes behind the line of scrimmage.

Again, it likely will not effect the outcome of the game at all, but it is inexcusable for professional refs to blow these calls.

[/rant]

776171[/snapback]

Someone may have mentioned this...Sorry for not reading through two pages, but, after he engaged the fin he appeared to tackle him, so if not PI, then holding. The video may prove me wrong, but it's worth checking out.

The block was made about a split second before Roscoe caught the ball so it was definitely correct.  It's not called very often though and the flag was thrown after it was clear it'd be a TD which was kinda lame; but whatever.

776683[/snapback]

Correct, but the pass was thrown behind the los.

As per nfl rulebook: Interference occurs only when:

"The play ultimately involves a legal forward pass that crosses the neutral zone (interference is not possible on screens and other passes behind the line of scrimmage)."

They blew the whistle because JP was going to get creamed by a 2nd Miami player if the whistle hadn't blown.  And as you said, there was a Bill ready to get it, so it was at best a screw-up that cost the Dols 4 yards in field position on the punt.

776622[/snapback]

That is why I hate such calls; let the players play and take the skirts off the Qb's. If that play was reversed there would be mad crying on this side; especially from me! The second player came in and knocked the ball out. While I'm glad finally the Bills are on the positive side of a call for a change (ABOUT TIME), the NFL refs need some more training and either fine them or at least make them do pushups or run laps or something when they screw up calls!

Correct, but the pass was thrown behind the los.

As per nfl rulebook:  Interference occurs only when:

"The play ultimately involves a legal forward pass that crosses the neutral zone (interference is not possible on screens and other passes behind the line of scrimmage)."

776720[/snapback]

That's great, but the pass wasn't behind the LOS, it was right at or beyond the LOS -- given the fact that Reed was blocking two yards past the LOS and the catch happened right around that area.

That is why I hate such calls; let the players play and take the skirts off the Qb's. If that play was reversed there would be mad crying on this side; especially from me! The second player came in and knocked the ball out. While I'm glad finally the Bills are on the positive side of a call for a change (ABOUT TIME), the NFL refs need some more training and either fine them or at least make them do pushups or run laps or something when they screw up calls!

776762[/snapback]

That wasn't a QB only play -- his forward progress was stopped for quite awhile and the refs blew it dead like they're supposed to.

That's great, but the pass wasn't behind the LOS, it was right at or beyond the LOS -- given the fact that Reed was blocking two yards past the LOS and the catch happened right around that area.

776763[/snapback]

I just looked at a tivo replay and it WAS clearly behind the los.

No conspiracy, just another td that would have made JP's stats look more respectable.

That wasn't a QB only play -- his forward progress was stopped for quite awhile and the refs blew it dead like they're supposed to.

776766[/snapback]

No; that was a quick whistle. That call was about as bad as the blown whistle on Whitner's INT last week! And you know what, I'm SO GLAD it was! It's about time WE get a break for the officiating gods!

776766[/snapback]

Check again. Parrish caught the ball behind Mike Gandy, of all people, who decked his guy perfectly on the swing pass. Reed was a good 5 yards ahead of and to the outside of Parrish.