The rookie Safteys will

Mikie2times

Think about the role our safety’s had within the system we played the last couple years. The whole system was predicated on the blitz, and it was pretty much guaranteed if we didn't get pressure we were screwed. Vincent and Milloy were aging by the snap, and lost the game speed needed from that position.

I contend that the defensive system we had was not created by morons. It was created because we didn't have the athleticism at safety to play straight up ball. We had savvy vets who could read plays, and help younger players, but there legs couldn't keep up with there minds. Jauron and Marv didn't want to play this style of defense, so we upgraded early at a position that isn't the popular for upgrading early. Over the course of the season I think we will see how bad it really was, and the difference two sub 4.45 athletes can make as the last line of defense.

Think about the role our safety’s had within the system we played the last couple years. The whole system was predicated on the blitz, and it was pretty much guaranteed if we didn't get pressure we were screwed. Vincent and Milloy were aging by the snap, and lost the game speed needed from that position.

I contend that the defensive system we had was not created by morons. It was created because we didn't have the athleticism at safety to play straight up ball. We had savvy vets who could read plays, and help younger players, but there legs couldn't keep up with there minds. Jauron and Marv didn't want to play this style of defense, so we upgraded early at a position that isn't the popular for upgrading early. Over the course of the season I think we will see how bad it really was, and the difference two sub 4.45 athletes can make as the last line of defense.

775217[/snapback]

Very true.....we were completely unable to do any other system due to our unathletic safeties........-Not eeryone can still play safety at 34 like Rod Woodson could.

This very well could be possible. The two guys that we had last season were both on the down sides of their careers and had lost a step or two over the years.

The only thing that i truly worry about with the starting of two rookie safeties, is whether or not they are going to have the game intelligence and vision to be in position to prevent giving up long gains through the air.

Hopefully they come out and become a tandem that will be one of Buffalo's strengths for the next several years. Just don't be disappointed if we end up giving up a couple of long plays that go for six. Without Takeo, I expect our safeties to be heavily involved in the run support to slow down Ronnie Brown.

This very well could be possible. The two guys that we had last season were both on the down sides of their careers and had lost a step or two over the years.

The only thing that i truly worry about with the starting of two rookie safeties, is whether or not they are going to have the game intelligence and vision to be in position to prevent giving up long gains through the air.

Hopefully they come out and become a tandem that will be one of Buffalo's strengths for the next several years. Just don't be disappointed if we end up giving up a couple of long plays that go for six. Without Takeo, I expect our safeties to be heavily involved in the run support to slow down Ronnie Brown.

775358[/snapback]

I would not expect them to come up hard before the snap in our Cover 2 scheme. Not like when we played Gray's D with Malloy pressuring the run so much.

They may come up to help tackle but they won't fly up into the box pre-snap like in years past b/c that is not Cover 2.

I would not expect them to come up hard before the snap in our Cover 2 scheme.  Not like when we played Gray's D with Malloy pressuring the run so much.

They may come up to help tackle but they won't fly up into the box pre-snap like in years past b/c that is not Cover 2.

775367[/snapback]

Yes i realize this. I am just saying that guys like Ko Simpson and Donte Whitner are fast enough and have the awareness that they will be up in a flash to support the run after the snap and after the handoff.

The real trouble is whether they get sold on play action or not.

Agreed. I know Spikes is mad because we are losing experiece, but experience isn't gonna do you much good when you're old and busted. I for one am pleased with the youth movement at the position.

775269[/snapback]

Spikes should just shut up and spend his time stetching to avoid further hamstring problems.

a lot of jawing from his spot on the pine.

I find the way the Troy Vincent situation was handled very interesting, and it hints at some internal politicking with the Old Man. That being said, I think its a good move to get Ko Simpson involved early and that is clearly what the new regime wanted to do. Everyone has hope that this is a team that could make a playoff run, but I think is refreshing that Marv and Dick seem to understand exactly where this team is and are building for the future while competing for today. Keeping a slow, non-hitting, although savy veteran in Troy Vincent will not be the determining factor in making a playoff run or not.

Not having Spikes on the field, again, will have a greater negative impact on the defense.

RTB

Over the course of the season I think we will see how bad it really was, and the difference two sub 4.45 athletes can make as the last line of defense.

775217[/snapback]

So far I have to say you hit the nail on the head. These guys have the "make up speed" to account for bad position. Whitner saved us a lot of stress when he batted down the 2 point conversion attempt.

Agreed. I know Spikes is mad because we are losing experiece, but experience isn't gonna do you much good when you're old and busted. I for one am pleased with the youth movement at the position.

775269[/snapback]

Spikes should just shut up and spend his time stetching to avoid further hamstring problems.

a lot of jawing from his spot on the pine.

775484[/snapback]

I agree.  Shut up, stretch more, and help out the younger guys.  Then get back on the field to help prevent a rebuilding year.

775487[/snapback]

I agree with all that assessement... Hopefully spikes was having a bad day on tuesday or wednesday... If his statements honestly reflect his attitude, then he needs to be injury settlemented too. Don't mix my words... I'm not saying i want spikes to get cut too, however, nobody is bigger than the team, especially a guy who didn't participate in a near shutout. Get well takeo and bring it to the field with BETTER talent around you