Smerlas on WGR this morning

smokinandjokin

I know our boy Freddy is up there with TD, Chris Watson, and Coy Wire on the Stadium Wall whipping post, but I heard him this morning on WGR (he will be on every Friday AM at 7:25.) He was actually not too bad...I was expecting much worse because the Bills are coming off a loss to his Patriots. His best comments-

-We all questioned the Bills ability to stop the run, and apparently the Pats did too, which is why they only activated 3 WRs, and continued to hammer the two horses.

-The Bills are not a great team, but are certainly not a horrible team. He agreed with the 4th down call to go for it, because when you are middle-of-the-road in the NFL, sometimes you have to throw caution to the wind to win games. He said everyone and their mother knew McGahee was coming...He didn't disagree, you have to ride your best player, but he also said a bootleg or a play-action would've had the over-persuing Pats defense scrambling.

-He was impressed with Losman, and said he played better than 10 offensive points. The big issue is after he took that safety- does he go into the dumps and take all the blame, or does he pick up, move forward, and get better?

-He said Belichick went for it on two 4th downs because, as Smerlas put it, "The Bills have a QB who can throw the ball 80 yards, and receivers who can get out there at catch it, so they knew if the Bills got the ball back they were in the game."

-The Bills run defense will continue to be a question mark. There's not one player who is going to come in and change that. But the best way to combat that is to score more points on offense. If you can continue to lead by 8, 10, 14 points, the other team is eventually going to have to start throwing.

-He was very impressed with the speed of the Bills D-Line, and their ability to get to Brady, which they always had trouble doing in the past.

-He picks the Bills to win a close one this weekend over Miami, who he calls "yet again the most overrated team in the NFL."

I know our boy Freddy is up there with TD, Chris Watson, and Coy Wire on the Stadium Wall whipping post, but I heard him this morning on WGR (he will be on every Friday AM at 7:25.)  He was actually not too bad...I was expecting much worse because the Bills are coming off a loss to his Patriots.  His best comments-

-We all questioned the Bills ability to stop the run, and apparently the Pats did too, which is why they only activated 3 WRs, and continued to hammer the two horses.

-The Bills are not a great team, but are certainly not a horrible team.  He agreed with the 4th down call to go for it, because when you are middle-of-the-road in the NFL, sometimes you have to throw caution to the wind to win games.  He said everyone and their mother knew McGahee was coming...He didn't disagree, you have to ride your best player, but he also said a bootleg or a play-action would've had the over-persuing Pats defense scrambling.

-He was impressed with Losman, and said he played better than 10 offensive points.  The big issue is after he took that safety- does he go into the dumps and take all the blame, or does he pick up, move forward, and get better?

-He said Belichick went for it on two 4th downs because, as Smerlas put it, "The Bills have a QB who can throw the ball 80 yards, and receivers who can get out there at catch it, so they knew if the Bills got the ball back they were in the game."

-The Bills run defense will continue to be a question mark.  There's not one player who is going to come in and change that.  But the best way to combat that is to score more points on offense.  If you can continue to lead by 8, 10, 14 points, the other team is eventually going to have to start throwing.

-He was very impressed with the speed of the Bills D-Line, and their ability to get to Brady, which they always had trouble doing in the past.

-He picks the Bills to win a close one this weekend over Miami, who he calls "yet again the most overrated team in the NFL."

773784[/snapback]

I know I am in the minority here, but I always really liked Smerlas. I even have a Smerlas jersey.

Smerlas is a jackass...he will say a completely different thing if you listen to him in New England, or his segments on the Rochester stations...after his boy Haslett did not get the HC, he ran Ralph, Marv, the franchise, and the city of Buffalo into the ground...he was also very, very critical of JP Losman, and not in any sort of objective or authoritative way...just saying things like "he is dumb"...and I am sure, if the Bob Matthews show from the Rochester station, is archived, you will hear him, more than once, proclaim that Losman is not only one of the worst QB's he has ever seen at the NFL level, but that he has "zero chance" of being a good NFL QB...

Don't let his Buffalo persona fool you, Smerlas is a first class jerk...he was that way during his playing days in Buffalo, and he has not matured mentally, a bit, since he was 14.

I will be fair, and say that Smerlas was a terrific football player. Otherwise, I think he is an embarassment to the Bills. I think if Ralph Wilson had heard some of the crap Smerlas has said about him, his organization and the city, he would consider pulling his name off the wall at Ralp Wilson Stadium...I can be as critical of the Bills, and Wilson as anyone, but with Smerlas, it is just vindictive, and in no way constructive or fair.

The only time he tried to be objective, was when the Bills were in the market for a new color commentator for their radio broadcasts...he really wanted that job...I thnk he is under the impression that being an ass-hole makes him a "colorful personality", when in fact, it only makes him an ass-hole! He lobbied for that job on Bob Matthews show, and for Haslett to get the HC job. When Haslett didn't get the job, and the Bills found another color guy, he was back to trashing the organization...