good vs great special teamers

Lothar

I was somewhat surprised at training camp a year ago that Haggan and Stamer survived the cuts - primarily due to their special teams prowess. I've always felt - and heard Marv quote something similar - that your backups better be pushing your starters or else be great special teamers. I think Stamer and Haggan are good special teamers - the only backup Bill I would consider close to great would be Sam Aiken - I've seen him make game changing tackles and he is also a good blocker on returns.

My point is that assuming the guys behind Takeo and Fletcher rarely got to see the field in the regular season, having special team talents at the expense of linebacking ability was a luxury we lived with at those positions. Given our current starters' age and (at least in Spikes' case) injuries, however, it's rather sad that a 6th round rookie is markedly better than our veteran options. In fact, I'm a little surprised that Ezekial - who had at least shown glimpses of talent the last 2 preseasons - was let go in favor of the incumbents.

Whether or not Fletcher stays here beyond next season, I'm pretty sure we'll spend draft picks or sign free agents to be more secure at that position. Now that we're fast(er) and speed(ier) on the lines, I imagine a top notch backer - along with the obligatory OL and DL prospects - moves near the top of our "need" list.

Whether or not Fletcher stays here beyond next season, I'm pretty sure we'll spend draft picks or sign free agents to be more secure at that position.  Now that we're fast(er) and speed(ier) on the lines, I imagine a top notch backer - along with the obligatory OL and DL prospects - moves near the top of our "need" list.

773469[/snapback]

One would hope for the above, but what happens if Clements leaves? Will Marv be able to resist another 1st round corner?

Perhaps, but I will believe it when I see it.

WRT Stamer on ST, IMO he WOULD classify as great or at least near great. (I'm not so high on Haggan). Much like Pike excelled on ST, he was sledom in the spotlight like Tasker. Same situation w/ Stamer & Aiken. I think you'll find that Stamer has consistently been one of our leading tacklers on ST. If he doesn't make that tackle, someone else has to further up the field.

One would hope for the above, but what happens if Clements leaves? Will Marv be able to resist another 1st round corner?

Perhaps, but I will believe it when I see it.

773470[/snapback]

Here is the breakdown of the first round, by position, over the last 5 years:

DB-35

WR-26

DE-24

DT-19

RB-18

OT-15

TE-10

OG-5

C-3

There have only been TWENTY THREE offensive linemen selected in the first round in five years.

Here are their names:

C: Mangold. Faine. Spencer.

G: Hutchinson. Kendall Simmons. Eric Steinbach. Vernon Carey. Davin Joseph.

T: Leonard Davis. Kenyatta Walker. Jeff Backus. MIKE WILLIAMS. Bryant McKinnie. Levi Jones. Marc Colombo. Jordon Gross. George Foster. Kwame Harris. Robert Gallery. Shawn Andrews. Jamal Andrews. Alex Barron. D'Brickashaw Ferguson (Who Levy apparently tried to move up for).